The Book of the Law Study Group 2.54

Always Wondering

The New Comment said:
There is an elaborate cryptographic meaning in this verse; the words 'folly', 'nought', 'it', and 'me' indicate the path of research.

What do you suppose this is about?

AW

Grigori

When I see "nought" and "folly" it makes me think of The Fool. *shrugs*

Always Wondering

I guess we are not the only ones that don't get it.

james eshelma said:
AC believed that, “There is an elaborate cryptographic meaning in this verse.” He keyed it to the words folly, naught, it, and me, and said it required further research. I am sure I do not have it decoded. However, there are fragments that disclose themselves upon inspection. “thou meanest naught” may be read, “thou teachest Nuit,” or the mystery of Zero, which “thou shalt reveal,” i.e., manifest (Cap. I, vv. 1, 5). There is also the strange use of “avail.” As in Cap. I, v. 23, this seems always to have been superficially read as “prevail.” However, there simply is no English language validity to that rendering. As an intransitive verb it means, “to be of use, value, or advantage; to serve.” The literal meaning here is thus that, “they who cry aloud their folly that thou meanest nought” shall be neither of value nor service; but the Beast shall serve, shall be of value.

“They are not of me” could be read, “They are Naught of Naught” (Greek MH = “naught”).

I guess we are getting into a couple of verses on cryptology. If A.C. and J.E. can't figure it out I guess I am not going to. :laugh: I am often lucky, but not that lucky.

AW

Grigori

Yes I think this one can wait for another day when we are far wiser. Next thread! :laugh:

Aeon418

Aiwass said:
Nor shall they who cry aloud their folly that thou meanest nought avail; thou shall reveal it: thou availest: they are the slaves of because: They are not of me.
A response to (internal or external) intellectual based criticism of the Will. The best course of action is to "stick to your guns" and keep going.
Aiwass said:
The stops as thou wilt; the letters? change them not in style or value!
An abrupt change mid-verse.

It appears to be a reference to the manuscript of Liber Legis. The punctuation (the stops) can be changed? Crowley added some of the punctuation after the dictation, so removing it, or moving it around, may reveal different things. But the letters themselves must not be changed.