Look! Brand new Greenie! Still sealed!

Lillie

Well, you don't get to see this very often, do you?

In the post this morning I got a 'brand new' greenie.
The cards are still sealed in cellophane.

The ebay auction only showed the box, but the description just screamed Greenie.
So I bid (no one else did!)

It was a little bit more than i would usually want to pay. It was £15, but hey! It's sealed!!!!

And I'm going to unseal it. But first I thought I would show it off in all it's still sealed glory.

The fool card has green borders, which have been washed out a bit by the flash in the pictures.
The box has an ISBN number on the side, but no bar code on the bottom.
The LWB has the 78 and 83 copyrights, the address for USG is 36 East 32nd Street New York 10016.

The deck is wrapped in cellophane that is folded round the deck.
It has two gold stickers on it, one on each side.
The first one says it is printed in Belgium by Carta Mundi, exclusively for USG.
The second give the name and address of David Westnedge Ltd who are, I think, a UK distributor.
They are still at that address now.

Attachments

• thoth1.jpg
    thoth1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 164
  • thoth2.jpg
    thoth2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 149
  • thoth3.jpg
    thoth3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 147
  • thoth4.jpg
    thoth4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 144

gregory

Westnedge is indeed a UK distributor. I have many decks with that sticker on, bought from Somerville and others.

These USG addresses exhaust me - I just emailed you with mine and they don't seem to WORK with the actual decks I have ! The older one seems to have the newer address....

But that looks like the one I have with the ISBN apparently added to the box; BUT - the USG address is given as Stamford on the front of the LWB, and 179 Ludlow Street Stamford CT on the back of the LWB - and NY 10016 on the box.... Is your LWB glossy ?

HearthCricket

Congrats, Lillie! I hope you enjoy it! I would love to get my hands on one simply because I have actually never seen one close up. Embrace the Greenage. :)

Lillie

Thanks.

To be honest I'll either be flogging it on, or keeping it and flogging my other greenie.

I know Gregs is interested in exactly how green it is.

Gregs.
My LWB is glossy.
Yours seem to make sense to me. The older one is on rough paper, it don't have the ISBN on the box and has the NY addy.

The newer one is on glossy paper, has the ISBN on the box and the Stamford addy.
The cards are worse printed, but I suppose they got sloppy.

Mine that I just got must date from after 83, but before USG moved to stamford.

Does that make sense?

gregory

So (this one of) mine is maybe just weeks younger than yours, as the box is NY !!!

I wish USG had neater habits !

HOW GREEN ????? Is it as green as my famous one that is missing a couple of cards ? (for those new to all this; it came missing one, but I had only bought it (cheap) to get a UCH card for one I already had without one so it wasn't a huge issue - though I was GOBSMACKED by the colour !), so when someone else had a card missing, I gave him one. It stands out like a sore thumb, he says !)

Lillie

It's hard to date them exactly.

If you have one which has an ISBN on the box it is apparently after 83 when they re copyrighted it. The 83 copyright should be in the LWB.

No ISBN, or just the 78 in the book means before 83.

ISBN and bar code is obviously later than just ISBN.

Also I think it was around the 83 changes that the copyright notice got put on the OTO card, although that only mentions 78 it is certainly not on the earlier ones.

The addresses are difficult, because I don't know when USG move.
I suppose anything with the NY address is earlier than the Stamford one, although they could have been using old stock for LWB's or whatever.

Anything that mentions email or web sites in the LWB must, of course be late.

One interesting thing on my sealed one is the phone number for Westnedge. It's the old 01 London code which was changed in 1990, so I suppose it must be from then or before.

But it's all very vague.
Also there are the multi lingual ones. They must fit in with the sequence too somewhere.
But I don't know where.

gregory

There's no mention of the web anywhere on any of mine.

There's a thread here somewhere with USG address dates - we got it VERY close using WS decks :)

ETA Here.

Lillie

Ok.

So, very early, '69, would be 120 Wall St, NY 10005

Then '69 to probably the mid/late 70's 468 Park Avenue South, NY 10016

The mid/late 70's to round about 1990 38 East 32nd St, NY 10016

Now, 1990 ish to present Stamford CA.

Can't someone who lives in NY go to a library and see if they have old phone books or business directories in an archive somewhere and just look it up?

So, in terms of the Thoth. All decks that were pre '83 should be the East 32nd Street. Possible the very earliest would be Park avenue.

The post 83 decks would be split between east 32nd St and Stamford, round about 1990.

It's hard to say because stuff stays in shops for ages, companies take stock from old addresses to new ones.

Gregs.
Your rough paper LWB, does it have a full address, or just NY 10016?

gregory

Just NY 10016. Box too.

Lillie

Well, that's very cryptic of Mr Kaplan, isn't it?

That's not going to get a letter to it's destination!