Book for Botticelli tarot

finaflight

Hi everyone

I recently recieved a deck from a friend. Botticelli. I wanted to g the deck for someone else, but then ended up with it myself from someone else.

It has a small white book with the deck. But I am wondering is there a more indepth book that tells more about the paintings so I can better understand the cards? I recently pulled the 7 of swords but have no idea what this card is about.

Can anyone help with a book?

gregory

There isn't one anywhere in any of my LS catalogues... :(

finaflight

Perhaps then I can try and just see what I can get from the images and the number of the cards.

Thanks gregory!

also maybe the library would have a book with his paintings. Perhaps a bit of info.

Edit
what does LS mean gregory?

rwcarter

LS is probably shorthand for Lo Scarabeo. I tend to use LoS myself.

gregory

rwcarter said:
LS is probably shorthand for Lo Scarabeo. I tend to use LoS myself.
Oops :|.

Thanks Rodney ! I don't even APPROVE of abbreviations; I just sort of assumed that as you have the deck....

finaflight

Are all 78 cards 78 paintings by Botticelli? I would like to know in order to make my search of the paintings in the library or book store.

thank you

irisa

finaflight said:
Are all 78 cards 78 paintings by Botticelli? I would like to know in order to make my search of the paintings in the library or book store.

No the deck is more collage I think:
Botticelli created numerous artworks, and in this deck, artist Atanassov has cleverly cut and pasted sections Botticelli’s works—sometimes duplicating images in the background (such as repeating the image of a sword to give the appropriate number of swords in a card) and sometimes changing the size (such as making the coins bigger to draw more attention to them)—and massaging them in a surprisingly effective way to produce a deck that is mostly similar in imagery to the Rider-Waite-Smith version.
-from Llewellyn product summary

There is no companion book just the booklet that comes with the deck. I know this I looked for one and even emailed Llewellyn about it :(

irisa :)

finaflight

I find alot of the images jump out at me. I really like this deck! But I thought more info wouldn`t hurt.
Its good to know that I am having for 78 paintings.lol
I will look for books that have alot of his work if I can find them. I found one on line, but a little pricey. Will try the library.

Thank you irisa

irisa

Library is good :D this might be useful to you as well finaflight Artcyclopedia

irisa :)

Rosanne

You will find that many of the females are the same model. Her name is Simonetta Vespucchi. Bottecelli was totally obsessed with her and she was the mistress of another- one of the Medici sons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simonetta_Vespucci
It would help if you understood that many of his paintings were private works meant for the rooms of Florentine nobles. He had a close relationship with the preacher Savronella and there is this strong Christianising of pagan myths.
I love this deck- the artist however has made it very Catholic.
Just through wikipedia you can piece the deck together.
Enjoy you search!

~Rosanne