Herbal treatment for skin irritation

Moonchild1721

Hello,
Does anyone know of a good herbal remedy for skin irritation? I teach swimming, and all the contact with chlorinated water is wreaking havoc on my skin. I'm hesitant to rely on OTC treatments.

Amatafrances

Ciao Moonchild, in Italy we have a proverb: "Usa la Malva che da ogni male ti salva", that means: "Mauve saves people from every kind of problem".
You can make a Mauve decoction, and apply it on your skin with a cotton pad. It is soothing and works very quickly.

Sophie

I was thinking mauve (mallow) too :)

Another excellent one is an infusion of lavender flowers, applied in the same way; or you could use the lavender essential oil - either mixed with a carrier oil or directly on the skin (lavender is one of the rare essential oils safe to use directly on skin).

Amatafrances

I agree with you Sophie, lavender is very soothing, and relaxing too, good for quiet sleeping.

Debra

Try smoothing on a film of baby oil before you swim to protect your skin against the chemicals in the water.

The irritation is most likely from the chlorine. Here's a product to neutralize it. http://www.inspiredliving.com/health-wellness-center/index1.html
search for Mediterranean-Blue DeChlorinating Bath Salts 40oz

Chlorine is alkaline. Try wiping your skin with some dilute lemon juice on a sponge.

If I were you, I'd ask at the local chemist's/pharmacy for their advice.

irisa

I'd say Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or Aloe Vera is worth a try :)

irisa :)

Sophie

Baby oil is mineral and very drying - best to stick to vegetable oils or a buttery substance like shea butter. You can make your own mix.

raeanne

Hi Moonchild1721,
I used to live at the swimming pool when I was younger. Coconut oil and cocoa butter were the best. You can find these in Hawaiian Tropic suntan creams and lotions (and other brands as well, I assume). Keep in mind that these do not usually contain any sunscreen so you will need to add a sunscreen product as well. It also smells wonderful!

Ana's Song

Hi Moonchild, noticed that you live in the U.S. so check out this calendula repair cream. Look at all the goodies in the ingredients list! I get chafing and irritation as well from using rosin on my hands and wrists and I use another of their products (which doesn't ship during the summer heat) to help soothe my poor skin... Perhaps you should also change your soap or shower gel to something else to help soothe the irritation? Good luck!

Filipa

irisa said:
I'd say Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or Aloe Vera is worth a try :)

irisa :)

agreed

this is the only things I use nowadays