The Book of the Law Study Group 2.60

Professor X

This is another verse imploring us to conquer over obsticles and problems. The Book of Law can be very empowering like that, Thelema is definitely not a system for the passive or timid at heart. One must do what one can to roll right over any opposition whether it is something physically in your way or whether it is spiritual or mental form.

Thelema is so different than the passive religious approach of praying for your enemies instead of dealing with them like they should be dealt with.

ravenest

Master???

Always Wondering

ravenest said:
Master???

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I like that Crowley calls hell a hidden wisdom though. That makes sense to me. And in that light, maybe if one masters hell one is the master of one's universe??
It's a bit of a stretch. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Yeah, I don't get it either.
I think this verse is Crowley's conscious mind standing up and giving a "hell yeah!" to the previous verse. That's quite a contrast compared to how this chapter kicked off. (See AL II:10-13) If you take a look at Crowley's commentary you will see that from this point onwards he was swept up in the 'ecstasy' of the communication as his identification with Hadit (the Master) increases, until the climax is reached at verse 69 where Crowley's consciousness returns.

Was it good for you? :laugh:

Always Wondering

Hmmmm, I will reread the commentary with more interest this time. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

I think it is significant that this is verse 60 - Samekh - and things seem to kick off in a different direction from this point. It's as if the use of the word "master" indicates the final submission to the word of the angel. The "tent peg" planted in Hell, reaching to Heaven.

Read DuQuette's comments on the letter Samekh in his Chicken Qabalah book. Then read the remaining verses of chapter 2. Notice his comments about the erection of the tent, but also the paradox of the Canopy of Heaven (Nuit). It is classic lingam-yoni symbolism and all that it suggests.

I'll leave it there and see if anyone picks up the thread.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
The "tent peg" planted in Hell, reaching to Heaven.
Ah yeah ... thanks. Like having feet in Hell and head in Heaven.
[ Or feet in ocean and head above the stars like in that great Cosmic Man pic in the Manly Hall book... plays havoc on one's Ugg boots though! ]

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Ah yeah ... thanks. Like having feet in Hell and head in Heaven.
Matching the description of the Adepts of Liber Tzaddi. ;)

From this point onwards many of the remaining verses are direct intructions to the Adept on how to be that phallic tent prop, and thus creating the lingam-yoni, Abrahadabra, 418. The Charioteer sitting below the Canopy of Heaven with the kisses of the stars hard upon his body.