2010 Perseid Meteor Shower..don't miss it!

Queen Hippolyta

I don't know about you guys/girls....but I always love to watch this meteor shower.

Here is the link from NASA
http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/perseids_2010.html
By Janet Anderson

Excerpt:
"Looking for a little excitement as the summer draws to a close? This year's Perseid meteor shower peaks on Aug. 12-13, and it promises to be one of the best displays of the year. If forecasters are correct, the shower should produce a peak display of at least 80 meteors per hours. A waxing crescent moon will set before the shower becomes active, setting a perfect stage for meteor watching -- weather permitting, of course!"

So if you are near the woods or away from street lights you should be able to see this. Honestly..it never gets old.

canid

I love this! Thanks for the reminder. I've always wondered about what they call the 'peak' days - surely you can view them up to & after those days? It's just really hard for me to stay up after midnight to see the *grand event*. I wonder if you can see any now; I'll have to check tonight.

Queen Hippolyta

canid said:
I love this! Thanks for the reminder. I've always wondered about what they call the 'peak' days - surely you can view them up to & after those days? It's just really hard for me to stay up after midnight to see the *grand event*. I wonder if you can see any now; I'll have to check tonight.
You are welcome!

They are called "peak" days because those are the days that the earth is lined up in the sky towards the showers. The Perseid Showers are always going on, we just don't always see them because the earth is on a course around the Sun. So it is for two nights only. You may be able to see some if it the night before and the night after but it would be just by chance.

There are other Meteor showers all through the years. It is just when the earth lines up so that we may see them. The one in August is the best because the weather permits and the sky is sooooooooo lovely.

Milfoil

I love the Perseids, its a magical time.

Find somewhere comfy, lean back and gaze . . .

Baroli

This is one of the perks of living on the ocean. I can sit out on my balcony and gaze up and the meteor showers are just so cool. Natures fireworks. :)

Milfoil

Missed it completely, it has been cloudy every night! :(

LavenderLibra

Queen Hippolyta said:
This year's Perseid meteor shower peaks on Aug. 12-13, and it promises to be one of the best displays of the year.

Hey, today's just the 8th....you've not missed it!! :)

I've got it marked on the calendar, and since I'm back on 2nd shift, I'll be able to stay up late and watch (clear skies permitting, of course!).