Does intent make a difference?

CottonCandy

Hi everyone :) I hope you all don't mind a newbie poking her head in here to ask a question or two.

Last night I was given 2 rings. A diamond & a really colorful opal.

I thought opals had something to do with intuition, but I wasn't sure about diamonds so I looked both of them up on some gem sites recommended here in the Crystals & Herbs forum.

I found that Diamonds are considered very powerful, because they amplify energy. They are supposed to be associated with courage/confidence, clarity, hope, strength, balance, healing, protection, spirituality, mental ability, longevity & abundance.

And Opal is associated with intuition/psychic ability, as well as beauty, creativity, dreams, & imagination. I also read that they are associated with healing, restoring harmony, personal power, releasing inhibitions, regulating the metabolism & enhancing memory.

What I'm concerned about though is that it's also said that opals pick up & project the same energy as the person wearing it, be it positive or negative. Especially emotional energy. I also read that it is a very spiritual stone, can be charged with any type of energy you choose.

So I'm a little confused. Both stones are supposed associated with healing, balance, clarity & power, but they will both pick up & amplify negative energy also. Does that mean that they will make the good days better & the bad days worse? That seems to go against the idea of balance to me... Is it one of those things where my intent is the important thing?

Like if I intend to wear them to help me increase my intuition, give me confidence, clarity, strength & balance, then that is what they will do, & they will not pick up on my moody scorpio energy & amplify it because that would be the opposite of my intent?
And do I have to do a ritual or can it be enough to just state the intent to the stones?

Or are the traits of the stone the traits of the stone, negatives included, just like people?

nisaba

Opal is basically fossilised water in silica (and other stuff). Water is about emotions.

I have a piece of boulder opal that for many years was owned by a pessimistic person. The stone itself is lovely, lots of fire, lots of blues and greens and yellow, lots of colour-shift. the previous owner's energy sunk right into it. I couldn't cleanse it, It took several years of being in my house (and being put outside for thunderstorms) before it started feeling fresh again - time well worth it, in my opinion.

Too many people wear diaminds casually. If you are wearing a piece of diamond as a token of a relationship, that's all it will do. I habitually wear two small diamonds as ear-studs, and I really don't pay them attention. I don't feel as if they make any difference to my energy at all.

CottonCandy

Thank you for your reply nisaba. :) I see your point about diamonds not making much of a difference, they're seen as common jewelry more than a special stone now days.

Your story has sparked more questions from me, I hope you don't mind.

Do stones (unless cleansed) hold the energy of ALL previous owners?

Since I am an emotional person, a Scorpio (water sign), is it possible that the opal will 'bond' with me easily?

The person who gave these rings to me is kind of negative, but they are kind of family heirlooms & given to me with positive intent for my future. I don't know how long they've been in the family, but her birth father owned them before she did & from what I've heard he was a great guy, very kind, fun-loving & generous.

I don't get any negative vibes from the ring, in fact I feel quite comfortable with both of them, but I'm still new to consciously listening to my intuition. Maybe I should do a tarot reading on what vibe the cards get from the rings. Would that work? It seems kind of an unusual thing to ask.

punchinella

If you don't feel anything negative, CottonCandy, I wouldn't worry about them! The "vibes" we pick up on are very personal to us. Supposing your rings felt toxic to another person--that would mean they were not for him or her, at least not until they had been cleansed. But if you don't feel anything, my two cents is that--for you--there just isn't anything there to feel. If you feel nothing negative (or maybe even something positive) then the rings are for you. Unless you want to make absolutely positively beyond a shadow of a doubt sure . . . in which case, you could do some sort of a cleansing ritual :)

Enjoy your new aquisitions!

CottonCandy

Thank you :)
Actually, I do sort of feel like these rings are "for" me in a way. The opal is a bit tight, but for rings that were passed down, that were not consciously intended to fit my fingers, they fit amazingly well!
And I've never been able to wear rings without them bothering me before, but I've been wearing them today & it's starting to feel kind-of natural, although a bit sore from the pressure especially from the tighter one .
These are very special to me though & I do want to wear them. Hopefully I can get used to them.
Thanks again for your advice! :)

punchinella

CottonCandy said:
And I've never been able to wear rings without them bothering me before, but I've been wearing them today & it's starting to feel kind-of natural, although a bit sore from the pressure especially from the tighter one .
These are very special to me though & I do want to wear them. Hopefully I can get used to them.
Stretching a ring one or two sizes up should not be too hard for a jeweller. I think they just put it on a spindle-type thing and pound it with a mallet. Shrinking a ring back down again is harder though, since it means removing metal . . .