Tarot of Pagan Cats

Lillie

Well, I never thought I'd like a cat deck.
I have sneered at cat decks.

But I have to say I do like this one.
It's charming, clever and very accessible.

With reference to previous discussions about cat decks in general, these cats are not generally clothed, there are a few collars and a small amount of symbolic head gear and the occasional draped cloth. But mostly these are cats behaving like cats. There is a lot of movement, a lot of action. There are quite a few cats in still postures but just as many where the cats are jumping, walking, climbing, hunting, fighting and falling.
These are real cats in real poses, drawn by someone who has obviously studied cats as they are very well drawn and realistic. There are also many different types of cats featured, the most obvious one is the sphinx cat on the Justice card and very well chosen it is too.

As a deck it is solidly RWS based which makes it very accessible. It can be read straight out of the box with no problem at all, but there are also hidden depths as this is a deck set in a cats world. The familiar images are all realised though a cats perspective. Strength is particularly delightful, as is the 7 of cups.

I hate to admit it, but I like this deck.
It has charmed me and disarmed me.

Me! like a bloody cat deck???

Who would ever have believed it!

And for those that care...
Strength 8, Justice 11, reversible backs, multi lingual titles.
Everything else as expected.

Netzach

I'm intrigued now. Google can only find one image of the deck, showing the box and three cards. But it looks charming. One to go on my wish list, I think. No doubt Gregory has already got her copy!

Wendywu

Available to pre-order on Amazon :). click me

It's lovely. And I ain't really a cat woman.....

Le Fanu

Lillie, do you have it in your hands? have you seen it up close?

I can't help finding something so inane about this deck (and I don't mind cat decks). Please, tell me more... Doesn't it feel like a theme streeeeeetched?

"these cats are not generally clothed" you say. So are you saying there is some nudity in this deck and we might think twice before using it with more sensitive or easily offended querents? You know how offended people can get.

Alta

I can only see the three images, plus your recommendation, but I will be getting this one. Charming.

Lillie

I'm not especially a cat person either. I mean, I like them, I have had one, but I'm not wild about them and to be honest I prefer having dogs.

But there is something very lovely about this deck, very clever in a delightful sort of way. It's great fun, very charming.

And no! I think I have it before Greggers!
She's in Canada so even if she has one waiting for her she won't have got her hands on it yet :D

I iz furst!!!!

But Gregory will love it. It is so utterly cattish.

strings of life

Le Fanu said:
"these cats are not generally clothed" you say. So are you saying there is some nudity in this deck and we might think twice before using it with more sensitive or easily offended querents? You know how offended people can get.
* laughs *

I like the look of this one, and I'm a cat lover.

I can't stand cats in clothes or cats that are depicted as humans (leave the cats alone!) and am picky with cat decks. Maybe, just maybe.

Lillie

Le Fanu said:
Lillie, do you have it in your hands? have you seen it up close?

I can't help finding something so inane about this deck (and I don't mind cat decks). Please, tell me more... Doesn't it feel like a theme streeeeeetched?

Yes, I have it in my hands. I got it this morning.

I thought all cat decks would be automatically inane.
I wanted it to be inane to confirm everything I have ever thought about cat decks.

But it's not. Admittedly it's not the Thoth, it's not some really deep and serious magickal deck. It's the RWS for cats, lovely well drawn cats, and not just a RWS done with cats, a lot of thought has gone into this, about how the cards would relate to cats and their lives. And there is a lot of symbolism in there too, from the few hours I have had with it so far.

Of course it is a theme deck. It's a cat deck, what else could it be? but it works so well, and there are hidden depths in there.
Really it does seem terribly clever and utterly charming.

So, it's fun and it's light hearted, it's populated with the most wonderful cat drawings (and yes! MOST OF THEM ARE NUDE! so hide your sensitive eyes!), but it is also a proper tarot deck with something to say on it's own account.

The cat aspect of it sort of makes you look at the cards from a slightly different perspective.

Really, it's lovely, and I never thought I would say that about a cat deck.

Lillie

Alta said:
I can only see the three images, plus your recommendation, but I will be getting this one. Charming.

I just had to go look and see which three cards were being shown.
Emperor, empress and 5 of pents.

Not the three I'd have chosen. The two majors give the impression of 'cats in hats'.

By no means is this the case. There are three proper hats in the whole deck. Those are two of them.

You are right though. It is charming. :)

AnneLien

The shop were I always buy my stuff doens't have it yet but the lady will keep one aside for me this week. I'm desperately waiting... it looks nice. Too bad it's lo scarabeo, with those stupid borders :(