Constructing a Magic Circle

Professor X

I want to design my own thelemic type of magic circle and I have questions.

I know there are certain rules that must obeyed when you draw a magic circle so that nothing you summon can enter inside the circle.

What exact rules must you follow?

What colors should be used?

Should names of protection be written outside the circle? If so should they be in english or in another language?

I have seen different designs where there are candles outside of the circle area,is all this neccesary?

If anyone has any knowledge on this I would love to hear it.

Grigori

There are no hard an fast rules, unless you want to tie yourself to a particular persons approach, in which case do what they say. There are some pretty specific ideas in older grimoires, but they're not thelemic. Book 4 has a chapter on the magical circle as well as one suggested version based on an older version but "Thelema-ised". http://aleister-crowley-books.com/images/magic Circle.jpg

The basic principle is you need a circle. That's it. Some folks don't even require that, as they see the circle as a physical representation of the circle created energetically by your banishing or in your aura by greater banishings. If your more comfortable with a physical circle, you can "fortify" it with holy names of your choosing (e.g. In the image) and suitable colors.

Here is a classic from the Key of Solomon,
http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/lks/img/fig153-4.jpg and if you have Duquette's autobiography it contains one featuring some Coleridge poetry as the inscription.

Grigori

Thinking about it some more, and I think a better answer is...

More than any special godnames, or colors or any such; the thing that makes a circle thelemic is that you understand what the circle is for and then design and construct something that fulfills that purpose for you. After all in your own magical circle whose authority would be higher than your own? The idea of magick is that you are artistically creating something, not technically reproducing.

I learnt a lot from constructing GD style implements, with specific measurements, colors, patterns etc.. I was much more challenged and learnt a lot more from the thelemic version, where I had to discover first what my personal symbolgy was and then create it.

I'd suggest you read the chapter from Book 4, and look at a few versions others have created, and then think about what would make them a better version for your own use :) Then have fun creating it :thumbsup:

Professor X

Grigori said:
Thinking about it some more, and I think a better answer is...

More than any special godnames, or colors or any such; the thing that makes a circle thelemic is that you understand what the circle is for and then design and construct something that fulfills that purpose for you. After all in your own magical circle whose authority would be higher than your own? The idea of magick is that you are artistically creating something, not technically reproducing.

I learnt a lot from constructing GD style implements, with specific measurements, colors, patterns etc.. I was much more challenged and learnt a lot more from the thelemic version, where I had to discover first what my personal symbolgy was and then create it.

I'd suggest you read the chapter from Book 4, and look at a few versions others have created, and then think about what would make them a better version for your own use :) Then have fun creating it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. Now that makes sense to me. I like the one that is in Book 4. Perhaps I should use that as a starting point and work out my own symbology to suit what I know about.

One more question. In the Book 4 Circle you gave the link too I assume the magical would stand at the bottom of the circle beneath the tree of life,correct? And if you want to material a entity you would draw another triangle on the outside of the circle?

Grigori

Professor X said:
In the Book 4 Circle you gave the link too I assume the magical would stand at the bottom of the circle beneath the tree of life,correct? And if you want to material a entity you would draw another triangle on the outside of the circle?

Hopefully someone more familiar with that version will stop by, but my memory is that you stand or have you altar at the middle point, which is the 6th square and so tipareth.

I using the goetic formula for evocation then you would place a triangle outside the circle, which is the version I think most familiar to Crowley.

RatQueen

Honestly, if you are still relative new to constructing magic circles I would avoid summoning anything. You should feel very comfortable inside that circle well before you attempting any conjurations or summonings.
Just my opinion of course.
The high Priest of my old coven use to say, "never summon anything bigger than your head" haha :D

Aeon418

rif said:
There are also dedicated Golden Dawn and Thelemic forums, you might find more valuable advice there than at a tarot forum. :)
You can create a circle with a pack of Tarot cards. ;)

rif

Aeon418 said:
You can create a circle with a pack of Tarot cards. ;)

A la Donald Tyson? I've tried it. ;)

I recommend Secrets of the Grimoires by Aaron Leitch if you want to head in the direction of evocation. Particularly if you want to use the Lemegeton. He has a Golden Dawn background and wrote this book on practicing Solomonic work, which will help answer these kinds of questions.

And seriously, this discussion would be canned in other sub forums. I saw a Halloween discussion get modded just yesterday for being non-tarot. :)

Grigori

rif said:
And seriously, this discussion would be canned in other sub forums. I saw a Halloween discussion get modded just yesterday for being non-tarot. :)

This discussion is fine here, please double check the guidelines for any clarity needed. The Thoth and GD sections are not as tarot specific as other sections, topics that would otherwise go into spirituality are fine here so long as they fall into the Thoth/Thelemic or GD systems, since they are so integrally linked with the decks which illustrate the systems. Any questions feel free to PM me :)

Professor X

RatQueen said:
Honestly, if you are still relative new to constructing magic circles I would avoid summoning anything. You should feel very comfortable inside that circle well before you attempting any conjurations or summonings.
Just my opinion of course.
The high Priest of my old coven use to say, "never summon anything bigger than your head" haha :D

Oh dont worry I plan on getting quite comfortable with using and being inside of a magic circle before I use it for anything. Thats why I want to learn all the basics off it first.