Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by lon milo duqutte

Hedera

Wow, thank you for the tip Holmes, that is great news!!

I was very impressed by his 'Chicken Qabalah' book.
Even though I am usually not interested in the Qabalah, I found that a very interesting, intelligently written and funny book.

If anyone can give me the final push into the Thoth, I think this guy would be it!

It's on my wishlist.... :D

Will be great winter-study stuff!

Blue Override

This book is not to be missed. If anyone can cut through the Crowley and get to the meat of the matter, it's Lon Milo Duquette.

Also, his autobiography is not to be missed.

callahwj

this could be the definative [readable] thoth book. "Tarot Handbook" is great but doesn't go in the same direction as Crowley. "The magick of thelema" is a great intro to crowley's magick and indicates that Duquette has a grasp of his ideas.

-Bill

Rusty Neon

Sometime in the future, I'd really like to see an annotated Book of Thoth: Crowley's text with annotations by DuQuette or someone else with the grasp of Crowley's ideas.

Rusty Neon

Has anyone had a chance to look at this book yet?

The amazon.ca site shows that this book is now available for immediate order and shipping. (As for the U.S., the amazon.com still shows that the book will not be released until November 2003.)

Asher

Just got it!

Just got home from Border's where I grabbed this off the shelf immediately!

I have finished Part 1 (96 pages) entitled "Little Bits of Things You Should Know Before Beginning to Study Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot"...whew! Eleven short chapters covering basic information about Crowley & the Golden Dawn, Lady Harris, the Tree of Life, the symbolism of the Rose Cross, the Golden Dawn color scales, and more. Very clear, especially for folks like me, who cringe at the thought of wrapping too many precious brain cells around such obscure topics. DuQuette has done a great job here, IMO.

Part 2 is the majority of the book, dealing with the cards themselves. There is a chapter on divination and finally a glossary of Thelemic & Tarot terms.

Looking forward to Part 2, but not tonight.

Asher

Kiama

Thanks for the heads-up about this book!

I've recently had a sudden surge of interest in all things Crowley, Hermetic, and Thoth Tarot... I am sure this book will be of great use in understanding what I consider to be one of the most riddle-some decks around. (That's a good thing, in my opinion.)

Now, where did my Christmas list go...?

Kiama

WolfSpirit

Thanks Asher for telling us more about this book.
It is on my wishlist since Macavity mentioned it in another thread, but i thought it would not be available until december !

fyreflye

Rusty Neon said:
Has anyone had a chance to look at this book yet?

The amazon.ca site shows that this book is now available for immediate order and shipping. (As for the U.S., the amazon.com still shows that the book will not be released until November 2003.)

Amazon.com is wrong again. I bought this book at my local Borders earlier in this week. And the Thoth clone Via Tarot, which Amazon.com apparently is still importing from Europe, was at Borders today. I haven't had time to get into the book, but since DuQuette insists that all his interpretations come directly from Crowley's published work I'm not sure if anyone who's assimilated Crowley's writings (I'm not one of those) would need it.