Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by lon milo duqutte

Astraea

VGimlet said:

In addition to all the insights into the Thoth deck, it's quite funny, at least *I'm* finding it funny.
Yes! To me, that's one of the best things about this book -- great scholarship, made accessible and useful through humor. So many books treat Thoth with a reverence that seems grim, grim, grim!

Imagemaker

I read part 1 last night and was very impressed by DuQuette's ability to give me just what I need to start reading with the Thoth. He ties so much together that was disconnected for me. He quotes Crowley and Harris extensively and the nuggets shine, giving me hope I could actually read Crowley himself at some point.

This book provides just enough background for me to appreciate what the cards offer, plus providing a short reference to add to my knowledge. I loved the personality info on Harris and Crowley. Using humor and giving the "inside story" helps leaven the impressive weight of the philosophy.

Emily

I've had this book for a few days now and although I'm only 30 odd pages in its one of the most refreshing books I've read in a while. Like other posters here I've not seen the Thoth tarot or Crowley depicted with good humour before like this book does. The little quotes from Lady Harris and Crowley are dotted around the book as well as quotes from The Book of Thoth.

I can't wait to get into the sections about the cards, and see how they get explained and interpreted.

The only problem now is its making me want to have another go at The Book of Thoth because this new book is making it very interesting and I would love to see if I could read the actual book and know what its about.

DuQuette does recommend reading The Book of Thoth not just the once but re-reading, which is something that I would most likely do, until you get the gist of it. So now I have The Book of Thoth on my wishlist as well as a nicely coloured large size Thoth deck to go with it. (Actually Amazon UK are doing one of their special deals at the moment the book and deck ordered together) :)

Astraea

Emily said:
The only problem now is its making me want to have another go at The Book of Thoth because this new book is making it very interesting and I would love to see if I could read the actual book and know what its about.
Emily, I find that the two books complement each other beautifully. After finishing DuQuette's book, I reread Crowley's and it was like reading Crowley for the first time. And the DuQuette book, more than any other, really opened the deck up for me because it helped me to be freer in my approach to it -- less reverence, more relevance! I hope that you will really enjoy the Crowley book when you get it.

Emily

Hi Astraea,

I'm halfway to ordering it lol - In DuQuette's book his writing seems so straight forward. It's painting an entirely different picture of Crowley and I am looking at the cards with a more open mind - and I do think that for the first time its sinking in. But I really want to be able to read The Book of Thoth.

I've just read the part where Crowley wanted the Thoth made into a tarot deck, its a shame he and Lady Harris never lived to see it published.

DeLani

I get to see him live!

Hee hee, I'm so happy!
DuQuette is comeing here, to my little backwoods Arkansas town, to give a talk about this book tonight! It's free and I'm *there!*
I'll let you know how it goes!
(Thanks to the UA's Student Pagan Assn. for sponsoring him).

Laura Borealis

"Chicken Qabalah"??? :eek:

Cerulean

Hearing him speak and the books...

I feel his overall tone and modesty mirrors each other, he responds and speaks well. To me, what he has written feels very consistent. Among his books that I finally read are the Thoth, the one on Alexander Crowley (new) and My Life as a Magician.

I like knowing where Duquette is coming from on Crowley, and his books intermix seriousness with humor and clarity when he can. There are some fun personal notes that make for more lively reading in his books.

I read the Qabbalah book by Duquette off and on, and it does have great detail. But it's just my taste, I seem to be more of a Gareth Knight fan when it comes to an overview of certain concepts...

Mari H.

Imagemaker

DeLani please post a new thread on what you heard, saw, thought, and gained from DuQuette's talk. Wow, what an opportunity!

DeLani

Of couse I will. I should have started a thread sooner, so others could give me suggestions on questions to ask.
So far I'm going to ask: is there any significance to the positions of the Hierophant's hand vs. the RW version?
I'm still at a loss for other questions. I might come up with some at the talk. I'm going to troll the Thoth boards here for ideas too.
Yeah for me!