Masonic Tarot - Card Back design

Freddie

The back of this deck is dark masonic blue with light blue lines. The card borders are white. The pattern appears to resemble blueprints for building/architecture. One can clearly see the outline of two diamond shapes on the ends of the card as well as two 'all seeing' eyes towards the middle. The center of the car has a star of David within a circle and a unicursal hexagram within the Star of david.

The unicursal hexagram has its' own story, but I have seen it as well as hexagrams and pentagrams (called pentagons in the LWB by Jean Beauchard) on church ceilings. In fact when I went to the altar (Anglican) for communion today I knelt, then looked up at the ceiling and was surprised to see a star pattern pretty much a drop dead copy of the back of this deck (and the Thoth card). The stars even had a dot (or flower) image in the center.

Any other ideas or knowledge to share anyone?

Abrac

I like the idea of a building or architecture. I looks like it could be the floor plan of a Masonic ritual chamber. The seven circles and squares in the center remind me of the chakras in the human temple. What strikes me about it is its symmetry & perfection, and the interrelationship of all the elelments to each other. It looks like there may also be some Golden Ratios in there. The entire design might have been made with only a square and compass.

Back

Abrac

I decided to try my own experiment and it turns out you can make the entire design with only a square and compass without taking a single measurement. You start by drawing a straight line near the bottom of the page. Then draw a circle in the center of the page. Take the square and align one edge to the line you drew at the bottom of the page and the other edge to the center point of the circle and draw a vertical line through the center of the circle. Put the point of the compass where the line intersects the circumference of the circle and draw two more circles. Once you get to this point the rest is easy and you'll be able to see how to do it. :)

Abrac

I found three areas that are definitely Golden Rectangles. There may be more but that's all I could find. :)

Freddie

Great information Abrac! Thank you for this! I think alot of the shapes found on the backs appear in three tier images on the fronts. I have found Oswald Wirth very handy with this deck.

Freddie