Vampire Tarot (Place) - V - Van Helsing (The Hierophant)

herself

Like many others in this deck, the fifth card of the Major Arcana has been modified to fit in with the Dracula mythos. But while we see Van Helsing in his study, as opposed to the traditional Hierophant card, the symbolism and meaning is very much unchanged.

The Hierophant and Emperor cards go hand in hand as the two sides of the masculine coin, with the Emperor representing earthly authority, and the Hierophant, the spiritual. Likewise, The Count and Van Helsing (each the other's nemesis), are balanced by temperament. As Place hints in his book, this is evidently obvious when the two cards are placed side-by-side and we see the two figures facing each other, with Helsing's raised cross between them. Indeed, the two figures appear to be locked, eye-to-eye, in a battle of wills. So cool! :)

Compared to The Count, Van Helsing's clothes and surroundings are plain, austere. He is a man of faith, both in God, and his arcane knowledge and studies. The abandoned books, in favor of the gold crucifix he holds in his hand, indicates in this case, Van Helsing has turned to his faith as the answer to his current dilemma.

Side by side, we see these cards representing the whole of a man (like the Empress and High Priestess are the two sides of the 'female' coin); alone, however, they also describe the struggle that occurs when either temperament is unbalanced.

ladybird

This thread is almost 2 years old but I wanted to say that this was a great observation, herself!! I just bought the deck and am trying to understand it better. I will be signing up to read this as my deck of the week for next week. Your insight on these two cards was very helpful, thank you!