Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The Book of The Law Study Group 3.11

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 
Citizen

Aeon418's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysWondering
I guess I don't understand what this means. I will go read about the Stele again. And listen to Shoemaker.
In the most literal sense the manifestation of the stele could be the attainment of the Knowledge and Coversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Ankh-af-na-Khonsu represents the aspirant. He is greeting Ra-Hoor-Khuit, the deific image of the HGA. This is one manifestion of the union of Nuit and Hadit, under which this greeting takes place.

In the previous verse we are instructed to close the stele in locked glass. The obvious surface interpretation of buying or building a replica and locking it in a display cabinet seems a little unsatisfying to me. A different angle may be to regard the instruction as a form of visualization practice. The "locked glass" may indicate a fixed mental image in one's own "secret temple" - the mind. This would make the "kiblah", the direction of prayer, an inward focus towards the "secret house" of R.H.K.
Within this "secret temple" the image "shall not fade, but miraculous colour shall come back to it day after day."

But what is the purpose behind this? Obvious reasons are that it is a good mindfulness and visualiztion technique that can be used as part of a devotional (bhakti) practice. But a deeper reason may be that it provides a link to the 'Thelemic current' via the images of the gods represented on the stele. As the Neophyte ritual states: "for by Names and Images are all Powers awakened and re-awakened."
(David Shoemaker provides an example of this use of the stele imagery in the closing remarks of his talk/essay on Liber Resh in Living Thelema.)

In this context I will quote Paul Foster Case on the Intelligence of Transparency which corresponds to Beth and the Magus card (Mercury).
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. F. Case
Intelligence of Transparency is the mode of consciousness. "Transparency" means "letting light shine through." Here we have the same idea of transmission that is suggested by Hermes as the transmitter of the messages of the higher divinity. Clearly the mode of consciousness called transparent must be one which affords a free channel of communication, which permits the free passage downward and outward of the superconscious Light which is above and within
The most immediate connection is with the transparency of glass letting light shine through it. But another link is provided by the placement of the Aeon card (the stele) on the Tree of Life. It sits on the path of Shin between Hod/Mercury and Malkuth/manifestation. The transformative Light of Shin is manifested via the channel of the mind and the imagery held within it. This suggests that the transformative energies of the New Aeon manifest through the minds of those who consciously align themselves with it. The Stele of Revealing makes for a perfect mental focus point and a channel for the Light to shine through into the world.

In a later verse the number of the stele is said to be 718. Crowley had a 'light bulb moment' when he discovered a variant Greek spelling of the word "stele" equaled 52. Quickly adding 666 (the actual catalogue number used to identify the stele in the Boulak museum) he discovered, much to his surprise and delight, that it totaled 718. The "Stele 666" = 718. But I wonder if there is another connection. On the Tree of Life the paths of the "lightning flash" total 777. The numerical value of the remaining paths is 718. Maybe the Stele as 718 represents a conduit or channel to bring down the "lightning flash" of 777.

The stele 'closed in locked glass' (fixed in consciousness) is described as a "proof to the world." The most common meaning of proof is evidence. But another meaning is an original design or pattern. In coin minting the first test coins are called Proof coinage. These coins are made to test the quality of the die and for archival purposes.
The coin to be struck with a new pattern is Malkuth, the World. The old aeon death and resurrection pattern seen on the Judgement card has been replaced by the new 'proof' of the Stele of Revealing.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #11
Always Wondering's Avatar
Always Wondering  Always Wondering is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,655
Always Wondering 
Citizen

Always Wondering's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
In the most literal sense the manifestation of the stele could be the attainment of the Knowledge and Coversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Ankh-af-na-Khonsu represents the aspirant. He is greeting Ra-Hoor-Khuit, the deific image of the HGA. This is one manifestion of the union of Nuit and Hadit, under which this greeting takes place.
I never thought of it like this. Thanks.

Quote:
In the previous verse we are instructed to close the stele in locked glass. The obvious surface interpretation of buying or building a replica and locking it in a display cabinet seems a little unsatisfying to me. A different angle may be to regard the instruction as a form of visualization practice. The "locked glass" may indicate a fixed mental image in one's own "secret temple" - the mind. This would make the "kiblah", the direction of prayer, an inward focus towards the "secret house" of R.H.K.
Within this "secret temple" the image "shall not fade, but miraculous colour shall come back to it day after day."
This is interesting. It reminds me of Liber Tzaddi's gladdens into green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
But what is the purpose behind this? Obvious reasons are that it is a good mindfulness and visualiztion technique that can be used as part of a devotional (bhakti) practice. But a deeper reason may be that it provides a link to the 'Thelemic current' via the images of the gods represented on the stele. As the Neophyte ritual states: "for by Names and Images are all Powers awakened and re-awakened."
(David Shoemaker provides an example of this use of the stele imagery in the closing remarks of his talk/essay on Liber Resh in Living Thelema.)
I will go have a listen. I've been meaning to go back and listen to his talk on meditation as well.


Quote:
The most immediate connection is with the transparency of glass letting light shine through it. But another link is provided by the placement of the Aeon card (the stele) on the Tree of Life. It sits on the path of Shin between Hod/Mercury and Malkuth/manifestation. The transformative Light of Shin is manifested via the channel of the mind and the imagery held within it. This suggests that the transformative energies of the New Aeon manifest through the minds of those who consciously align themselves with it. The Stele of Revealing makes for a perfect mental focus point and a channel for the Light to shine through into the world.
What?
I never imagined Case with a Thoth deck, talking about the New Aeon. And now I just read he was a member of the O.T.O. Where is this quote from?


Quote:
In a later verse the number of the stele is said to be 718. Crowley had a 'light bulb moment' when he discovered a variant Greek spelling of the word "stele" equaled 52. Quickly adding 666 (the actual catalogue number used to identify the stele in the Boulak museum) he discovered, much to his surprise and delight, that it totaled 718. The "Stele 666" = 718. But I wonder if there is another connection. On the Tree of Life the paths of the "lightning flash" total 777. The numerical value of the remaining paths is 718. Maybe the Stele as 718 represents a conduit or channel to bring down the "lightning flash" of 777.

The stele 'closed in locked glass' (fixed in consciousness) is described as a "proof to the world." The most common meaning of proof is evidence. But another meaning is an original design or pattern. In coin minting the first test coins are called Proof coinage. These coins are made to test the quality of the die and for archival purposes.
The coin to be struck with a new pattern is Malkuth, the World. The old aeon death and resurrection pattern seen on the Judgement card has been replaced by the new 'proof' of the Stele of Revealing.
I really like this fixed in consciousness idea. ATU XX is so much prettier to me. I think I will have to fix both (one at a time) and note the results.

Once again, thanks.

AW
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #12
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 
Citizen

Aeon418's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
What?
I never imagined Case with a Thoth deck, talking about the New Aeon. And now I just read he was a member of the O.T.O. Where is this quote from?
It's from Case's "Key to the Wisdom of the Ages." (Magician chapter) It's not directly related to the Thoth Tarot. But I wanted to find a symbolic link between "locked glass" and consciousness. Case's summary of the Intelligence of Transparency provides that link by pointing out that this transparent - locked glass - fixed conscious imagery lets the divine light shine through it.

The second link is that the Intelligence of Transparency is attributed to the letter Beth and Mercury. The Aeon card, representing the Stele, is attributed to a path emanating out of Hod - Mercury. This is the sephira of the intellect and the image forming part of the mind. The path of the Aeon card links Hod to Malkuth. This is the path of the mind's influence on matter and the influx of the magical current through the conduit of the mind.

Fixing the Stele imagery in your mind is one way to manifest the Stele in your life. Ultimately the ideas you hold in your mind imprint your reality.
The mundane divinatory meanings for the Aeon card include a new current for the future and the taking of a definite step. The Stele represents the Next Step - K&C of HGA.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #13
Always Wondering's Avatar
Always Wondering  Always Wondering is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,655
Always Wondering 
Citizen

Always Wondering's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
I found it more effect to do so in Egyptian.
You do this in Egyptain? This forum is full of high functioning male communicators. No wonder I love it.
I would love to hear that!

Quote:
Appear on the throne of Ra!
Open the ways of the Khu!
Lighten the ways of the Ka!
The ways of the Khabs run through
To stir me or still me!
Aum! let it fill me!

The light is mine; its rays consume
Me: I have made a secret door
Into the House of Ra and Tum,
Of Khephra and of Ahathoor.
This is helpful. I would like to think I would have gotten here on my own, in english anyway, but maybe not.

Quote:
On a deeper level , Libers Nu and Had .....
I had a peek to refresh my memory. Always plenty of work to around here, isn't there?

Quote:
or just holding the basic Thelemic 'theological' 'triangular arrangement' in consciousness ( with yourself as the fourth principle ) .

3 : 4 .... an underlying principle throughout nature .
Nice. I'll start here.

Thanks.

AW
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #14
Always Wondering's Avatar
Always Wondering  Always Wondering is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,655
Always Wondering 
Citizen

Always Wondering's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
It's from Case's "Key to the Wisdom of the Ages." (Magician chapter) It's not directly related to the Thoth Tarot. But I wanted to find a symbolic link between "locked glass" and consciousness. Case's summary of the Intelligence of Transparency provides that link by pointing out that this transparent - locked glass - fixed conscious imagery lets the divine light shine through it.
I gave my copy to my daughter with my Ryder Waite deck. I will have to pick up another copy for myself.

You must have an Eidetic memory! At the very least you are a walking occult index.

Quote:
The second link is that the Intelligence of Transparency is attributed to the letter Beth and Mercury. The Aeon card, representing the Stele, is attributed to a path emanating out of Hod - Mercury. This is the sephira of the intellect and the image forming part of the mind. The path of the Aeon card links Hod to Malkuth. This is the path of the mind's influence on matter and the influx of the magical current through the conduit of the mind.
It is helpful to orientate myself with the Tree this way.

Quote:
Fixing the Stele imagery in your mind is one way to manifest the Stele in your life. Ultimately the ideas you hold in your mind imprint your reality.
The mundane divinatory meanings for the Aeon card include a new current for the future and the taking of a definite step. The Stele represents the Next Step - K&C of HGA.
I really didn't know this. So it's making more sense now.

AW
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #15
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 
Citizen

Aeon418's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
I gave my copy to my daughter with my Ryder Waite deck. I will have to pick up another copy for myself.
I find Case's book useful. His discussion of the general symbolism (Hebrew letters, numbers, paths, etc.) is applicable to all Tarot decks.

Incidentally I've just read a letter from Karl Germer to Jane Wolfe. Germer's description of Case is unflattering to say the least! I wonder what went off between those two? Something involving Frater Achad? He does confirm that Case owned a copy of The Book of Thoth.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #16
Always Wondering's Avatar
Always Wondering  Always Wondering is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,655
Always Wondering 
Citizen

Always Wondering's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
I find Case's book useful. His discussion of the general symbolism (Hebrew letters, numbers, paths, etc.) is applicable to all Tarot decks.

Incidentally I've just read a letter from Karl Germer to Jane Wolfe. Germer's description of Case is unflattering to say the least! I wonder what went off between those two? Something involving Frater Achad? He does confirm that Case owned a copy of The Book of Thoth.
Fascinating. I couldn't hazard a guess. Did you buy Karl Germer: Selected Letters 1928-1962? Where do you find this stuff? Now I might have to get it. I had so much fun reading about Phyllis and the gang in California.

But what's this? The Catholic church trying to infiltrate the occult through the Universal Brotherhood? The premature dawning of the Aeon of Maat? Oh, the intrigue.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #17
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 
Citizen

Aeon418's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
Did you buy Karl Germer: Selected Letters 1928-1962? Where do you find this stuff? Now I might have to get it. I had so much fun reading about Phyllis and the gang in California.
Yes, I bought a copy of the 'Germer' book a couple of months ago. I've found it fascinating, but I'm not sure if I would recommend it. Many of the letters are about very mundane issues. Who has and hasn't paid their OTO dues, who's been spreading gossip, who's not pulling their weight around the lodge, what are W.T. Smith and Jack Parsons up to, who has copies of manuscripts or books, etc., etc.

But if you're interested in the fledgling Thelemic community in California it might be worth a look. Although Karl, being permanently based on the east coast, is the odd man out. In that respect Frater Saturnus lived up to his motto.

The book's title is a little misleading too. Most of the letters are Karl's, but a good percentage are from Jane Wolfe and a few are Phyllis Seckler's.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #18
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.