Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

def. of sibilla deck???

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Oracle Decks

Citizen

misfitknits 
Citizen

def. of sibilla deck???

what exactly IS a sibilla oracle? i've been looking it up, but almost everything i can find is the same paragraph copy & pasted over & over again: "a sibilla deck is a type of oracle deck used in france" blah blah blah.

but what distinguishes a sibilla deck from other oracle decks? do they all have 52 cards? are they all based on a deck of playing cards? what distinguishes a sibilla deck from a lenormand deck? *other than the association of madame lenormand!*
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

They all have 52 cards - that much I know.

The word sibilla means oracle. That too I know.

The meanings are not standard across all existing sibilla decks. There seem to be two traditions - French and Italian - and there are some decks that sort of mix the two.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

misfitknits 
Citizen

ah, thanks gregory! our font of knowledge!

so, a sibilla has 52 cards, and in our modern, mixed up times, meanings can be pretty much anything. since a traditional sibilla has 52 cards, were the meanings based on a standard deck of playing cards? i know absolutely nothing about the divinatory meanings of poker cards...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

cardlady22 
Citizen

There's no such animal as a Standard Meaning for the playing cards. Each & every person who used or wrote about them put their own bit to it.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

misfitknits 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardlady22
There's no such animal as a Standard Meaning for the playing cards. Each & every person who used or wrote about them put their own bit to it.
yes, you're right. i didn't explain my question properly. i'm more interested in the card titles, or archeptypes if you will. for instance, in the sibilla deck i have: lord, house, love, money, hope, faithfulness, letter, gift. those are the "card meanings" speak of.

so, my question again: where the original sibilla decks structured like a poker deck? with similar titles and "meanings"?

or would it be safe to say that every sibilla deck differs, and that the only thing that categorizes a deck as a sibilla is that it contains 52 cards?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

Freddie 
Citizen

Hi,

I own more than few of these and I have studied them and my answer would have to be no, because not one of the modern or reproduction sibilla decks that I own are the same pictues with the same card number/suit.

These decks mostly claim to be a version of the deck used by the famous French reader Marie Lenormand, but nobody really seems to know exactly what her deck looked like.

Freddie
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.