Reversals -- The Empress:

bec

Sorry for taking so long getting the Empress started. You know, you guys are more than welcome to start the threads – I don’t have “starter rights” or anything like that ;)

The reversed Empress is a fake. Yes I know that is harsh and bold, but look at the card, yellow and nothing else. Yellow to me is a coward and a fake. She becomes “male” or manly. The Scepter is holding the picture a long with the 12 zodiacs, she has the universe in her power and she uses it. The nurturing and loving Venus becomes impersonated High Priestess. What is underneath that dress of hers? Decorated with the same pomegranates as the curtain. The red blanket she is sitting on is almost looking as blood running out of her – giving life I don’t think so, this one is having an abortion. The wheat hides what is behind, let it grow and it will eat her up. Patiently she will let it grow and nourish it with her own blood till it eats her up.

I know I am being both metaphorical and provoke thinking here, and I mean to.
But just think about it.

She is not as loving as the queen of cups and she is not as understanding as the high priestess, the Empress shares life – reversed she becomes more Death than Mother to me; only she does not have the transformation quality, she stagnates.

4) If she shows to need more attention it could be to take care of womb and/or genitals. Mating could be at stake. Or she would tell to in fact let things grow in their own paste.

5) As a signpost she would say about the other card that we would need to open our minds and offer it the child’s attention. Look at it as an infant; let it be just what it is. Don’t be too hasty.

6) The Empress is Venus, reversed all her symbols becomes male. She could be warning that the male side of us is taking over, depressing the feminine side. And that goes whether you are male or female – we all have both sides inside.

7) A blockage of motherly understanding. Letting children, life, work, love live its paste and love it for what it is without the urge to change things. Always looking for changes in our selves, changing others or just having the feeling to constant redecorating our furniture; The Empress would show as a blockage.

8) She is looking straight at us with her baby blue eyes. Only looking very close to the card of RW, she is actually turning her eyes slightly to the right, as if she was peeking without the photographer noticing it. She would give a tip that the card to the right from her needed attention.

I am looking forward to hear your opinions on this one :D

dadsnook2000

Multiple personalities ?

EMPRESS. Serene lady with stary/zodiac crown (universal, encompassing world view) holds scepter while sitting upon a cushioned seat, dressed in a white, flowered gown. Around her is a fruited field and rich woodland. Her feet and cushions rest upon a gray surface and bench, a gray shield with a venus symbol is beside her. She and nature are colorful and warm, her posession have less (neutral) value to her. The blatent "venus" symbology is dampened, suggesting that the Tarus-link might be of less importance than the Libra-link.
EMPRESS REVERSED. The solitary sereneness of the upright card becomes a less balanced focus on posessing a relationship, on worrying about ones place in the world. Criticism and attack (Libra's relationship/socialness) is signified by a "twoness" or opposition focus, bringing in an Aries (opposite Libra) quality or a mental aloofness (gray posessions and footing, gray shield) of a carping Mercury quality.
*** The personality is acqusitive, interfering or aloof and hard to please. Growth (wheat) is above her -- she is more focused upon experiencing than being part of a natural order or growth. Children, teaching, nuturing, helping are put aside for reaping, selfish use of information, self-promotion and withholding of support. Her attitude defeats leadership and example setting (note the low position of the scepter) or she resents the leadership or standing of others. Red is now to her right side, agressiveness replaces serenity or she feels anger toward others. Mothering and family issues are not part of her daily routine, perhaps replaced by her pursuit of her feelings and self-satisfaction. Nature is on her left, her source of self has been moved into the background as has her sensitivity (water).
*** PAST POSITION: Empress Rx suggests that the querent has had a period of inward focus and now has to rebuild a sense of belonging, sharing and community. PRESENT POSITION: A deep look into oneself, the feeling of dissatisfaction with so many areas of life suggest that an imbalance exists. Its time to take stock, smell the roses and make some changes. FUTURE POSITION: Issues are developing that are taking away ones sense of balance and imposing contrary values.
ASTROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION: The venus symbology is given a grayness. This puzzles me. There has to be some deeper meanings here given that the rest of the card is so colorful and rich. I'm tempted to focus on a Venus-in-Virgo meaning, especially for the reversed card. The Virgo sign would fit with both the "nature" environment and the "criticalness." Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.
Our family is on vacation for the summer. Our summer access to the Internet is very poor so my responses will probably be limited to Mondays and Tuesdays when I am home for a brief period each week. Dave. PS -- I'm really intrigued by the Venus and gray colors.

Dark Eyes

Hi everyone,
Perhaps this is way off the mark, but it could be possible that the empress reversed may indicate pre menstrual tension.... in other words the negative aspect of the female reproductive system.
Perhaps even.... could it signal some post natal depression...... ??? The negative side of post childbirth ??
Another thought I had was.... Menopause.. when a woman realises that her childbearing days are coming to an end... ?
These are just ideas, I don't see these as bad, just the reverse side of childbirth, womanly body experiences and the reverse side of fertility. Does this make sense to anyone else??
I would rather see the reverse of the empress like this , instead of a very negative motherly aspect, or negative feminine side.
Dark Eyes. :)

bec

I think that the Empress could also be telling of menses and menopause yes.

Usually it is the High Priestess concerning these issues, the secrets in the blood and womanhood.

I don't see any input as off - it is in fact the "I don't like to see the card that way, I would prefer...." that gives us the full diversity of the cards right?

Dark Eyes

Yes Bec,
That is very true. It is the way we see them with regards to the client, and the feelings we get from them that matters, you are right.That truly is how the diversity of interpretation comes about.
Best wishes
Dark Eyes :)

dadsnook2000

Gray areas in the Empress card

On another listing I received an interesting thought: The gray areas on the Empress card that I wondered about could suggest the "birthing" process of a person, event, or other object/subject that is given color (life) when we share it and give it support and attention. I share this as it seems so obvious, now, and fits so well with the Empress who gives and lives life, rather than the HP who teaches and shares knowledge. A good counterpoint. Dave.

Mimers

When I see the Empress reversed, I usually think of the destructive forces of Mother Nature. I tend to see this card representing destruction. Loss of control, like the fires in Arizona. Revenge ('it's not nice to fool with mother nature!')

On a more possitive note, I think the Empress reversed can also represent inner growth. Nuturing of one's own self.

My interpretation will depend on the question, the other cards and of coarse my gut feeling.