The Book of The Law Study Group 3.19

Always Wondering

Very timely Grigori. Are you feasting yet?
In honor of this day I'll play.

We know that the Stele of Revealing was categorized by the number 666, and it is tempting to head in that direction. But the verse says "count well its name."

There are twenty three letters in "Abomination of Desolation".
The 23rd path between Geburah and Hod corresponds to Mem and Water.

718 has no correlations in Godwins, but with reduction. . .

7+1+8=16 the same value of Chach meaning hook.

1+6=7 the same value of Dagh meaning fish.

This is verse 19, corresponding to Teth meaning Serpent and to ATU XI Lust, "...the joy of strength exercised.

AW

Aeon418

Verse 19 - Qoph. Atu XVIII The Moon - Pisces.

III x 19 = 57. DGIM, (Dagim) Fishes - Pisces.

There's something distinctly fishy about this verse. :laugh:

Who are "they" who shall call the stélé the Abomination of Desolation? My gut feeling is that it refers to those who are still under the influence of the Piscean age doctrines that gloryfy suffering and self-sacrifice. The Stélé of Revealing is a neat pictorial summation of the doctrines of Thelema and the New Aeon ethic of self-actualization. From the perspective of the old point of view the new ethic can appear un-spiritual and selfish, or maybe even downright evil and Satanic. })

Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, p.29-30:
The Abomination of Desolation

The appearance of the New Aeon was foretold by the seers and prophets of the patriarchal Aeon. Their written accounts, although corrupt and untrustworthy for any historical analysis, still give evidence of the terror with which they viewed the event.

The prophecies of Daniel speak of a day when one would come who would "cause the sacrifice and oblation to cease," and set up "the abomination that maketh desolate." Jesus made referrence to this prophecy in the Olivet Discourse as a confirming sign of the "beginning of sorrows" and the "end of the world."

From the Jewish perspective, the Abomination of Desolation referred to a prophecy of the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem. Some have taken this to refer to Antiochus Epiphanes who descrated the Temple by sacrificing unclean animals upon the Altar of Burnt Offerings and daring to enter the most sacrosanct area of the Temple, the Holy of Holies. Fundamental Christian theologians consider the actions of Antiochus Epiphanes as merely a foreshadowing of the "Antichrist" whose appearance they believe is prophesied in the Book of Revelation, along with the "second coming of Christ" and the "time of tribulation" that marks the end of the world.

The biblical prophets of the "old time" proclaimed that they beheld the "end of days", and in this they were partially correct. They had the vision of the end of their own time - when the sacrifice would indeed be removed from the Temple, when sacrifice would be declared abrogate and the oblation cease.
Here's a neat bit of gematria. In Greek the phrase, "The Abomination of Desolation", has the same numerical value as, "Of the synagogue of Satan." (See Revelation 3:9)

718 = STHΛH(52) + 666

ST = Stigma - 6
H = Eta - 8
Λ = Lambda - 30
H = Eta - 8

Total = 52.

Stele 666 was the original "name" of the stele in the museum where Crowley found it. Apparently it took Crowley 17 years to figure this one out. It was only when tried to spell stele with a Stigma that he got it.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Verse 19 - Qoph. Atu XVIII The Moon - Pisces.

III x 19 = 57. DGIM, (Dagim) Fishes - Pisces.

There's something distinctly fishy about this verse. :laugh:

This makes sense. The Moon fits better I think.
III x 19 = 57. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Aeon418 said:
Who are "they" who shall call the stélé the Abomination of Desolation? My gut feeling is that it refers to those who are still under the influence of the Piscean age doctrines that gloryfy suffering and self-sacrifice. The Stélé of Revealing is a neat pictorial summation of the doctrines of Thelema and the New Aeon ethic of self-actualization. From the perspective of the old point of view the new ethic can appear un-spiritual and selfish, or maybe even downright evil and Satanic. })

Initiation in the Aeon of the Child, p.29-30:
I also hadn't realized "Abomination of Desolation" was such an established phrase.
Aeon418 said:
Here's a neat bit of gematria. In Greek the phrase, "The Abomination of Desolation", has the same numerical value as, "Of the synagogue of Satan." (See Revelation 3:9)

718 = STHΛH(52) + 666

ST = Stigma - 6
H = Eta - 8
Λ = Lambda - 30
H = Eta - 8

Total = 52.

Stele 666 was the original "name" of the stele in the museum where Crowley found it. Apparently it took Crowley 17 years to figure this one out. It was only when tried to spell stele with a Stigma that he got it.

That 718 was bothering me a little. I couldn't make any sense out of it and it did seem there for a purpose. What is a Stigma? I don't suppose it has anything to with his eyesight? :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This makes sense. The Moon fits better I think.
So do I. Abomination of Desolation seems like a misidentification. It is a false label applied to the stele by "they". But the only name it ever had was Stele 666, which is 718.

The basic message I get here is the view of the New Aeon from the illusory Piscean perspective of the old Aeon. Instead of the next step, it is interpreted as a fulfilment of the "end times". In a way this is one reason why Crowley used so much apocalyptic symbolism. It pushes certain buttons in poeple who have been programmed with it. And the symbolism of Revelation has been a feature of Western cultural consciousness for almost 2000 years. Even people who don't identify themselves as Christian can still feel a little uneasy when confronted by the Beast 666 and the Scarlet Woman. But why?

Here's a nice article by Lon Milo DuQuette.
http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2005/10oct/acrowley666.html
As Lon rightly points out, it doesn't matter what Revelation really means. It has already jumped off the page and taken on a life of it's own in Western consciousness. All that's needed is someone to push our buttons. And Crowley certainly seems to do that to lots of people. }) :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
I also hadn't realized "Abomination of Desolation" was such an established phrase.
It's been around for centuries. It makes it's first appearance in the book of Daniel. 9:27, 11:31, and 12:11. According to some it is a referrence to idolatry and the desecration of the temple by the setting up of images in the House of God. In this context read AL III:10, 21-22. Very transgressive. })

It appears again in the New Testament in the Olivet discourse (Matthew 24. Mark 13), where Jesus quotes Daniel and uses the symolism to indicate the coming of the "end times".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_of_Desolation

All of this symbolism was very well known to Crowley. And he probably linked it to the Image of the Beast in Revelation 13:15.
He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.
A stele is an image and 666 is the Beast. So Stele 666 is the Image of the Beast.

Image: TzLM = 160.

Breath: Aleph = Ox = ShVR = 506. 160 + 506 = 666.

Another one that makes me chuckle is that 718 is 359 x 2.
359 = ShTN, Satan. An Image is a copy. Even Satan gets ripped off these days. :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
What is a Stigma? I don't suppose it has anything to with his eyesight?
No, that's astigmatism. :laugh:

Stigma is sort of like a coumpound letter made by the joining of the letters Sigma and Tau to make ST joined together. In Greek Sigma is 200, and Tau is 300. That would make the word, STHΛH = 546. No good. :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigma_(letter)

Always Wondering

My childhood church skirted around Revelation, and this, especially the rapture, is so big around here I took an anti stance. But this is interesting.

Aeon418 said:
Here's a nice article by Lon Milo DuQuette.
http://www.redicecreations.com/spec...crowley666.html
As Lon rightly points out, it doesn't matter what Revelation really means. It has already jumped off the page and taken on a life of it's own in Western consciousness. All that's needed is someone to push our buttons. And Crowley certainly seems to do that to lots of people.
This is a great article.

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man: and his number is 616."

I know this is a Greek translation, but I see the 11th path here Chokmah(Wisdom) and Kether(616). So I am confused how that could be.

There seems to be a lot of Qabalah in Revelation 13. It's rather amazing. I've got to go read about it.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I know this is a Greek translation, but I see the 11th path here Chokmah(Wisdom) and Kether(616). So I am confused how that could be.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, and this seems to be the gist of Lon's article too. It does not matter if the real number of the Beast, according to John(?), actually did turn out to be 616. The Western cultural consciousness has already been primed and programmed to responed to the number 666. That's where it's power lies.

Neither is it very important that we don't understand the book of Revelation in the exact same way that John(?) did. It's symbols and characters have already taken on a life of their own within our shared cultural consciousness. It may originally have been nothing more than a political rant against Nero and the Roman empire. But in the centuries that followed it become something far greater, and it's influence on the Western spiritual tradition has been immense. The Book of the Law taps into this inherited conditioning for it's own purposes, and uses it to push our buttons.

After all, who's sacred of 616? It's just another number. But 666 is absolutely loaded with meaning. })

Always Wondering

Yep, it was pretty fruitless. Internet + Revelation, what was I thinking? :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Internet + Revelation, what was I thinking?
:laugh:

I don't think you will find much on the internet. And even if there is anything worth reading out there, you've got to wade through page after page of mindless fundie crapola.

If you're still interested in reading something about Revelation I would recommend you take a look at D. H. Lawrence's final book, Apocalypse. I enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Penguin-Twentieth-Century-Classics-Lawrence/dp/0140187812

Always Wondering

Thanks. I think I will. It's just so pervasive around here now. Even my non Christain son has been sounding me out. Maybe he'll read it also.

AW