Personality of a Deck

Patrick Booker

I recently listened to an online interview with Patrick Valenza, in which he stated that the Deviant Moon Tarot was lunar and male. He added that the new deck he is working on will be solar and female. Not something he planned, but the way they emerged through his imagination, as I understood him. I would guess users generally develop a sense of a deck's personality.

Patrick

Spinner

Deviant fan

Thanks for sharing this! Deviant Moon is at the top of my 'want/buy next list' and so I find your info very interesting.

nisaba

Patrick Booker said:
I recently listened to an online interview with Patrick Valenza, in which he stated that the Deviant Moon Tarot was lunar and male. He added that the new deck he is working on will be solar and female. Not something he planned, but the way they emerged through his imagination, as I understood him. I would guess users generally develop a sense of a deck's personality.
In Europe generally and in tribal societies in early Europe such as teh Goths, the Celts, the Vandals etc, and certainly in the German language at least today the Sun *is* female ("die Sonne") and the Moon is male ("der Mond"). Darkness is seen as male and light as female.

Cerulean

Really about European solar light...wow...

because Japanese solar deity as a womanly figure and the dark lunar deity as male is unusual among the few Far Eastern Asian mythologies that I read or looked at art...I am more interested in Japanese through near acquaintance...then again, I thought in French it is La Luna and I'd have to check whether Italian/Spanish has male/female designations...

I'm interested in both the P.V. new deck and reading the commentary here. The Deviant Moon 'feels' masculine to me now that I've read what was posted here.

I'll check around for the new 'solar female' deck by Mr. P.V.!

Hemera

nisaba said:
In Europe generally and in tribal societies in early Europe such as teh Goths, the Celts, the Vandals etc, and certainly in the German language at least today the Sun *is* female ("die Sonne") and the Moon is male ("der Mond"). Darkness is seen as male and light as female.
In older Finnish culture this certainly is so. There is also the Sun Maiden (Päivätär) and the Moon Maiden (Kuutar) who act as helpers of the actual celestial bodies and both are female.

Brandi _

Spinner said:
Thanks for sharing this! Deviant Moon is at the top of my 'want/buy next list' and so I find your info very interesting.

I just received the Deviant Moon Tarot for my birthday! It is absolutely gorgeous!

I agree as well, that is quite interesting, I am excited to see the solar/female deck!