Wizards Tarot

DaughterOfDanu

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wizards/details.shtml

Does anyone have thoughts on this deck?
I really like the artwork but I'm worried it'll be a bit too "Harry Potter" and feel like the theme was forced on all the cards. Is it a deck that you personally bought, looked through, and put on your shelf?

I checked for a thread on this one and couldn't find one. :(

ZKEI

Here it is; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=153857

IMO, the major cards look nice. The minor cards are too simple, feel like another RWS clone deck; though, they can do better than that such as in Five of Wands.
What pushes me off is the Pentacle Court Cards. Though, they relate to Gnome, they should look better than that :(

However, I really like the companion book, especially for 23 spreads corresponding to each major card.

:)

DaughterOfDanu

Thanks for the link!
Yeah- once I saw the minors I don't think its for me.

Tibor

In short, I recommend this set for the book not for the deck.I agree with the review by Janet Boyer on this one. It is similar to the Pictorial Key Tarot in terms of the artwork.

Ashtaroot

My son who is turning 9 in a couple of weeks, got this deck and he loves it.
He is reading the book diligently. I think he likes the whole Harry Potter y kinda feel to it. And the academy and classes etc....

hunter

Has anyone bought this set just for the book?

The book forum is discussing Corinne's new book on astrology and tarot. I think this might be the deck used to illustrate it.

I'm in love with my Rabbit Tarot right now. I thought it was funny that the fool is a blonde female with a rabbit.

I'm thinking that studying this deck might help me read better with the bunnies, and offer some ideas in general for reading and seasonal altars and spirituality in general.

Has anyone trimmed this deck?

Le Fanu

Weirdly, I'm tempted by this deck. I think one could just use it as generically themed magic deck without buying into all the details of the invented academy. But I have read mostly negative reviews. Does anyone actually like the deck?

And, really, Lewellyn... They're obsessed with churning out RWS clones. Of the most pasteurised sort. I hate to say this but when you see what LoS are doing with tarot and then look at Llewellyn...They seem to be about 20 years behind. No, maybe 25...

But the artwork kind of appeal though I suspect it is very dull to read with.

Can anyone come forward and say they really, really like this deck? Can anyone persuade me to "add to basket" ?

Dusk Till Dawn

I like the Deck, I find it strange that this Deck is hardly talked about.I liked it better than the Wildwood, when I first saw it.

Le Fanu

I like the Deck, I find it strange that this Deck is hardly talked about.I liked it better than the Wildwood, when I first saw it.
*rubs chin thoughtfully* Is it brazenly computer generated? Sometimes I find that gives an appealing veil of kitsch...

Pollux

Kitsch and... dull, you found the right adjective.
It sort of reminds me the Fenestra in a minor extent, and in a major-exagerated extent it reminds me other computer-graphics best sellers I loathed the first moment they caught my eye - weird enough they still get huge quota chunks of the market, I am not saying names here cos I don't want to go off topic.
Decks with bluntish, rounded-up, intoxicating computer-graphics artwork don't speak to me, they are so damn dull, so cold and boring and appalling. So colourful yet so lacking colour, anima.
I would not mind the Harry-Potteryness of the deck, it's actually one of the things I liked a lot and had me pondering the purchase, but then I checked the whole deck and felt sort of burdened by the plasticky-dullish-kitschness (apart from, on second thoughts, the fact that certain cards IMHO are a disaster, first off, say, Star, Moon and Sun, they are not good representations of what I would expect for those trumps) and decided I would spend my money on Wildwood and Llewellyn... Well, whatever, wasted money all the same, next time I'm taking a double Hadar deck or a double Golden Tarot.