Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Adriana 
Citizen

8 of cups clarified by 3 of swords.

When 8 of cups come out as the outcome to a relationship reading, clarified by 3 of swords. Does this combo reek break up?
Could it just be about leaving the past behind to be able to move forward with the relationship, and that this transition would not go totally easy?
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Cool Self-realizaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
When 8 of cups come out as the outcome to a relationship reading, clarified by 3 of swords. Does this combo reek break up? Could it just be about leaving the past behind to be able to move forward with the relationship, and that this transition would not go totally easy?
8/Cups, like the 3/Swords can indicate a realization about the relationship that makes it not what one or both participants thought it was. It's one of the ignored definitions of 8/Cups that it can imply a kind of "wake up" feel. You were drunk and went to bed with someone you thought was wonderful, and now you've woken up, look over and go, "what was I thinking?" Likely, this means that the participants in the relationship realize that the relationship just isn't working for either of them and they split. However, it could mean that the relationship, as it is, isn't' working for them. I could as easily see this for a couple where one of the participants realizes that they're gay (or their partner realizes it) and it's not going to work, as I could for a pair of close friends who realize they have to go further or break up. That being just "friends" isn't enough.

Similarly with 3/Swords where you learn something that pierces your heart, but also bleeds out ill feelings have been building up. However unhappy you are that this thing (whatever it is) is not working out, you also feel like you can finally move on and find what you're really after. You realize that this thing was holding you back, keeping you from developing and finding real contentment.

Which is what I find most interesting about these cards. They're less about the failure of something (like a relationship) as a person's realization of who they are and what they need to do or be or become. There is a "living a lie" or in the case of 8/Cups, "living in a false paradise" feel. What you were doing wasn't right for you, much as you may have wanted it to be right. There is freedom and a chance to be more yourself in this realization.
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
CaballoDeCopas 
Citizen

oh, yes , move on, but I personally think this is a happy move on come the end, it isn't like the 5 of cups regret.
CaballoDeCopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Adriana 
Citizen

Yeah, caballo, I see the 8 of cups (at least in the mystic dreamer deck) as a good card in some ways. Leaving something behind takes courage, but the woman in that deck has her head up high. Of course there could be elements of sorrow.

Thanks for the interpretation, Thirteen. I really enjoy your posts lol. And what you say makes a lot of sense about the cards.
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
PAMUYA 
Citizen

Eight of cups as an outcome for a relationship, clarifed by the 3 of Swords. I do see break up with this combo.

this is a possible outcome for this combo:

Eight of Cups, did this person leave a relationship to be in the one today? This person is regretting that decision of leaving the first person(3 of swords). The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. Now they are stuck, the damage done.

I see the five of cups is when you are the one that was left for another, you suffered a loss. The eight of cups is when you leave (or your partner leaves someone to be with you), and now you/someone regrets it.
PAMUYA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Adriana 
Citizen

Thanks PAMUYA. I haven't thought about that interpretation before. May I ask how you see it from that combo? Cos I understand that 3 of swords as a clarifier could as one of the meanings be about a 3d person, but I didn't think it would be a former relationship necessarily. But I have got the impression that 8 of cups has more about doing the leaving themselves as you say.
Old 06-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
WalesWoman 
Citizen

I wouldn't see 8 Cups clarified by 3 Swords as regret for leaving the first person to go off to greener pastures. I think it hurts a lot to leave those cups behind, but it's the best thing for everyone involved.

I'm with Thirteen on this one, that due to disillusionment, disenchantment and disappointment, you realize that it is best to leave those cups behind even if you have no real clue what you are moving towards. To me it says that if there is a break up, that it will shock everyone because they "seemed like such a perfect couple"... due to the usual RWS image of a precisely stacked formation of cups being abandoned. So much of relationships is for show and no one knows what it's really like at home... the heartbreak and despair and hurts that build up over time... until it simply can't be done anymore and the only thing left is to leave it all behind and stop trying to fix it or make it right. Love can't be ordered and sorted neatly and isn't tidy.

Old 07-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
Adriana 
Citizen

Btw, could this combo mean something so simple as one of them going on a trip?
Old 17-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
WalesWoman 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
Btw, could this combo mean something so simple as one of them going on a trip?
Parting is such sweet sorrow, I miss you already?

Old 17-07-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today