Mugwort Infusion

Sword King

Although it's never really done much for me in terms of lucid dreaming, I've been enjoying a cup of mugwort tea before card reading and meditation now and again. It can be a little bitter, so I thought I'd share a formula that I find pretty tasty.

Of course, I have disclaimers here. Consult a doctor before using any herbs, and use them in moderation unless otherwise directed. I also try each new herb in a low dosage by itself to ensure I don't have any undiscovered allergies.

Mugwort Infusion:

1 teaspoon mugwort
1 teaspoon linden flowers
1/4 teaspoon licorice root
1/2 teaspoon lemon verbena
Pinch of lavender flower

Steep 15-20 minutes, covered, in 10-12 oz of water on the edge of boiling. Re-heat if necessary and enjoy. I find it relaxes and centers me while opening up my intuition/third eye. A little lavender goes a long way with me; you may want to add more to taste. :)

Sword King

Although it's never really done much for me in terms of lucid dreaming,

Well, I have to eat my words now. I had a cup last night and definitely enjoyed some interesting dreams that even disturbed my sleep a bit. I'm still not to the lucid level, but perhaps someday.

My three-card "summation of the day" reading was spot-on as well.

Does anyone else have any "divinatory" infusion formulae they'd like to share?

Wonderwoman

Sunset in Seattle

Hello SwordKing,

First and foremost thanks for sharing that mugwort infusion recipe, I definitely could use all the help i can get to get my 3rd Eye to open up! I only get "visions" in my dreams. Lately I have been experimenting with a tea called Sunset in Seattle by a local retail shop called Everything Tea, www.everythingtea.net So far, it puts me in a Deep sleep and the dreams are very Vivid. In addition to this, I also have a Selenite wand that I hold during my sleep. This wand seems to transport me into future events and also connects me to my guides.

Ww

Sword King

Hello SwordKing,

First and foremost thanks for sharing that mugwort infusion recipe, I definitely could use all the help i can get to get my 3rd Eye to open up! I only get "visions" in my dreams. Lately I have been experimenting with a tea called Sunset in Seattle by a local retail shop called Everything Tea, www.everythingtea.net So far, it puts me in a Deep sleep and the dreams are very Vivid. In addition to this, I also have a Selenite wand that I hold during my sleep. This wand seems to transport me into future events and also connects me to my guides.

Ww

Hi Wonderwoman,

I just read the ingredients list for that tea, and in addition to the sleep aid from the chamomile (and possibly the 'other herbs' mentioned), the rose hips, raspberry leaf, and hysop should give you a lot of other health benefits. Rose hips in particular are a great tonic in an infusion.

I would plan on not driving if you do try mugwort in an infusion since it can act as a mild sedative for some people. I don't find its effects to be particularly intoxicating and nowhere near dissociative, but it does change my perspective in a slight and detectable way, if that makes sense.

I currently wear moonstone to assist with my third eye; selenite sounds promising, and I'll have to check it out - thanks!

Hemera

I had to dig up my Herbal Tarot to check out Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). It´s the Five of Pentacles. The companion book (by Tierra & Cantin) says that the lady in this card will have to look inward to see what it is that needs changing internally.
The book gives some keywords for the herb: Letting go of the old, Simplicity, Freedom from the restrictions of the past.
The affirmation for Mugwort is: "I see the richness in my spirit and acknowledge my inner values".

Just a reminder: Licorice is bad for people with high blood pressure. My Pharmacist friend says even a very small dose will have an effect on a person´s blood pressure for over two weeks.

Sword King

I had to dig up my Herbal Tarot to check out Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). It´s the Five of Pentacles. The companion book (by Tierra & Cantin) says that the lady in this card will have to look inward to see what it is that needs changing internally.
The book gives some keywords for the herb: Letting go of the old, Simplicity, Freedom from the restrictions of the past.
The affirmation for Mugwort is: "I see the richness in my spirit and acknowledge my inner values".

Just a reminder: Licorice is bad for people with high blood pressure. My Pharmacist friend says even a very small dose will have an effect on a person´s blood pressure for over two weeks.

Thanks, Hemera!

I should have mentioned the concerns over licorice root. I never use it over 1/4 tsp per 10-12 oz of infusion to be safe, and I only use it with the bitterest of herbs to add a bit of sweetener. You could easily leave it out in the formula above.

While we're on the subject, mugwort contains thujone, as does sage, oregano, and some species of mint. Thujone is also found in wormwood and may or may not be responsible for the effects of the wormwood spirit absinthe (studies differ on this).

I recommend researching every herb you put in your body before putting it in your body. :)

Wonderwoman

Just for Kicks!

SwordKing, tonight i added a pinch of mugwort to my already potent PassionFlower/Sunset in Seattle mix. Will report to you tomorrow on what revelations the tea brings me in dreamland!