Reading the court cards

senescal

I always get lost when court cards show up and I can't relate them to anyone.

I'm assuming the court cards not always represent people. How should I read a Queen of Swords, for instance, when she is the outcome of a situation?

Zechariah13

Well, im not the best at predictive spreads, but i know the queen of swords is a sort of union of opposites. Queens are emotional, they represent the element of water, Swords represent thought, reason and rationality. These two internal forces are typically at odds with one another, but the QoS represents not letting emotions interfere with truth or reason. I tend to look at this card as a good, yet uncomfortable or even painful, sort of justice

As for what she means in your circumstance? i really dont know. the cards can mean so many things at so many different times and all that. ;)

Freddie

This is indeed one of the great mysteries of Tarot divination. I'm not sure there is a definite solution, if there is I would like to find it.

Here is a good link from the Book of Thoth:

http://hermetic.com/crowley/book-of-thoth/court-cards.html

I would suggest you study each court card and find something within each image that you can to latch onto. Most of the court cards in the Thoth have an animal with a certain attitude about them and this is something I have latched onto in my relationship with this deck. You could look at colour, clothing, facial expression, body language or anything like that.

Freddie

Bridget

A court card could represent the skills or mindset that you will need to adopt as a result of the situation. For instance, swords can indicate analysis or decisions, and queens deal with the realm of emotions, so the Qs might indicate that you need to analyze your feelings about the situation in order to make a clear decision.

Or, it could indicate the perspective you will gain as a result of the experience that comes before it. There the Qs could show that you will come out of this situation with a greater understanding of your own feelings or another person's feelings.

I sometimes see the Qs as a lady who has lived through some tough times and is stronger and wiser because of it. Maybe there is a place or source you could go for those qualities, like an inspiring book or a meaningful event or gathering, that would help you deal with your situation.

And of course, the Qs could be a person with some of these characteristics who will gain prominence in your life as a result of your situation.