Key To The Tarot: Question/Text of What Became the Celtic Cross

Cerulean

Truly, I am puzzled

I am hoping this thread would be helpful in comparing texts of A.E. Waite's Key to the Tarot in terms of the Celtic Cross.

I would enjoy reading opinions or thoughts about such texts if possible. Sorry, I know, I also wander in thoughts or discussions...but I am having a hard time following the information being shared.

I am missing something....? A gypsy heritage myth? A gentle humor, good sirs?

Ceruean

Of course - and some personally.

I was with my barber yesterday: Encased within the barber's cape my eyes fell heavy beneath the soothing stroke of brush and fingers and I was immersed in the vibrations of the buzzing clippers, the swift snip and snap of scissors tap-tapping against the teeth of comb, the puppetry of hand and head he shaped for the scrape of the razor, the intimate trimming of eyebrows, ears and nose. A flick of flame and smell of burning hair lifted me out of my submersion. "Tamam?" he asked. "Çok iyi" I replied, "çok iyi".

clipped peeks
of the barber's bum
in the mirror

The subject of the dönmeh however, did not arise. Atatürk's opponents on the religious right have always made the (false) claim that he was a dönmeh in an effort to discredit him: it is possible Crowley believed the story, he did after all name his son after him.

Kwaw
*Ucundan azıcık - lit. 'a little from the tip' : At the barber's "just a trim'.

BEWARE: Outside of the barbershop the phrase may cause some hilarity, not sure why, but I suspect it has something to do with circumcision.

kwaw

Ucundan azıcık

I am hoping this thread would be helpful in comparing texts of A.E. Waite's Key to the Tarot in terms of the Celtic Cross.

Sorry Cerulean - it has gotten a little side tracked by the claim that the kabbalistic cross presented in another of Waite's texts presents another version of the celtic cross, in which we might find the source, or at least parallels, for the 'quaint phrasing' that you like so much - by all means, let us stick with those variations that are presented across editions of his Key to the Tarot alone.

My apologies for the gentle but OT humour: Charle's little side attacks on Crowley, Crowleyites', Frankists, Donmeh, Waite, Turkish Barbers, Kabbalah and Kabbalists (who he perceives as taking the name of God in vain) and not so subtle attack on some people as 'cesspits' did indeed strike my funny bone with his judgmental (as I perceived it) self-righteous sounding tone.

I am missing something....? A gypsy heritage myth?

Possibly not a myth in this instance: The 'gypsy' in this case being a misnomer for 'ceremonial magician' Florence Farr. A far more likely candidate IMO that Yeats - but then I haven't seen the evidence and insider knowledge to which Charles claims access that may prove otherwise.

The same? I notice it every time I do the Pentagram ritual and call on the archangels...

... John-Brodie Innes wrote in The Occult Review that this spread was taught to him by Florence Farr as a "Non Order Method" long before Waite published his deck. Farr called herself a gypsy, claiming that descent, and she taught the GD class on tarot.

Not the same exactly, but enough of a similarity I think to suggest it may have inspired the formulation of the spread : suggesting that it was most likely constructed by an order member familiar with the kabbalistic cross - albeit not recognized or to be construed as an official order method - and Florence Farr is as good a candidate as any on the evidence we currently have.

Kwaw
(aka: Jerry Cruncher)

Charles Darnay

Tehuti,you are correct in so far as you go. But you are mistaken in your assumptions that Florence invented a Gypsy personality. There is a long series of French printed Tarot Gypsy materials;some of which materials came into Yeats' and Florence's possession,possibly in translated manuscript form.
You can read about these books in Dummett as you certainly already have at some point. These books were prominently used by Papus,Stanislas de Guaita ,Waite,Thierens.And one other Englishman who claimed that he(likewise in 1897) first brought the Grail Hallows into the GD.The two first profess to be by the Gypsy Master. The others are by J.Vaillant who says he first saw the Tarot in the house of a Turk who employed the Romanian Gypsy. Later JV met a sage at the Sultan's court who told him that his school held to the same cosmogony.
Did Vaillant independently find Romanian gypsies using the same method as Yeats discovered four local Irish people using at the latest by Oct.12,1897? If so he would have been very excited indeed and sent them on to the GD who nothing of it.
By the way the Crowleyite is wrong as always.For once Crowley gets something right,and he tries to knock his boss down!Crowley represents truly in "Moon Child" that both Wescott and Waite had Donmeh aides in high Turkish diplomatic circles.They were in a much better position to know than our Jerry whether or not Ataturk was one of the boys.
Ataturk could no more have become dictator of Turkey without Donmeh approval than a man could become Senator from Illinois without the blessings of the Chicago machine.
I am finished.No use talking to Crowleyites

Teheuti

Sorry - I didn't say that Florence invented a gypsy personality. She claimed to have gypsy blood (whether it was true or not, I don't know). We know that she taught the technique to John Brodie-Innes and we know that Gardner worked under her in the London Temple where she taught Tarot.

Valliant died two years before the GD was formed, so he wouldn't have passed his information directly on to a GD that didn't yet exist. I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern European gypsies used playing cards for fortune-telling. They may have even used Tarock cards. I don't read French so I don't know how much he actually wrote about the Tarot. Maybe someone else can tell us. But that is no guarantee that the technique came from him unless it is in his book.

It was Boiteau d'Ambly in his Les Cartes à jouer et la cartomancie, Paris, 1854, who first spread the gypsy-Tarot connection, which was first made by the Abbé Rive, I believe (pre-Court de Gébelin).

kwaw

Is that a reference to "Tale of Two Cities" or your real name?

Tale of Two Cities: - which is where I presume the 'pupils of Parisious' got the name Charles Darnay from to supposedly post collectively under (sometimes as 'we' and sometimes as 'I' it appears).

Charles Darnay said:
By the way the Crowleyite is wrong as always.For once Crowley gets something right,and he tries to knock his boss down!Crowley represents truly in "Moon Child" that both Wescott and Waite had Donmeh aides in high Turkish diplomatic circles.They were in a much better position to know than our Jerry whether or not Ataturk was one of the boys. Ataturk could no more have become dictator of Turkey without Donmeh approval than a man could become Senator from Illinois without the blessings of the Chicago machine.I am finished.No use talking to Crowleyites

Thanks for the info Charles' - well, that certainly puts me in my place - the irrefutable 'they knew people in a position to know' (wink wink nudge nudge) thrown in with some handwaving towards an ill-defined reference and a little bit of ad hominen to boot - if the rest of your evidence and arguments are of such high standard then we certainly are in for a treat.*

What with heightened expectations of new info and references from Roger and the recent discoveries of paintings reported by Mary it really is quite an exciting time.

Anyways back to the topic at hand, while there are certainly comparison to be made with the kabbalistic cross, enough perhaps to indicate an influence of the one on the other, personally I think it is a bit of a stretch to describe it as a 'third version' of the celtic cross.

Kwaw
*OT - anyone interested in the story of the Dönme in Turkey might find the following interview with Marc David Baer, author of “The Dönme: Jewish Converts, Muslim Revolutionaries, and Secular Turks” (Stanford 2010, Turkish translation 2011), of interest:

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-255...ins-posed-no-problems-for-ottoman-rulers.html

Charles Darnay

T:
Sorry - I didn't say that Florence invented a gypsy personality. She claimed to have gypsy blood (whether it was true or not, I don't know). We know that she taught the technique to John Brodie-Innes and we know that Gardner worked under her in the London Temple where she taught Tarot.
CD:
The claim to Gypsy blood has been greeted with extreme scepticism .In the course of your research did you encounter it anywhere except in the Brodie-Innes article.Roger never found it anywhere else but Florence's only book length biographer to date was extremely superficial and a large amount of Yeats-Florence material was stolen after the death of George Yeats.So something could still turn up but the Farrs are an odd family to have been intermarrying with the Gypsies. Perhaps a legend of a marriage to a 17th century Gypsy? On the other hand,Florence was show business after all.
T:
Valliant died two years before the GD was formed, so he wouldn't have passed his information directly on to a GD that didn't yet exist. I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern European gypsies used playing cards for fortune-telling. They may have even used Tarock cards. I don't read French so I don't know how much he actually wrote about the Tarot. Maybe someone else can tell us. But that is no guarantee that the technique came from him unless it is in his book.
CD:
But Stanislaus de Guaita and his secretaries Charles Barlet and Oswald Wirth had been using Vaillant material for years before Papus incorporated it into his materials.Yeats specifically refers to S de G as the only scholar and gentleman he met among the French occultists.
Brodie-Innes does not give a date for his readings with Florence Farr. It was unknown to GD in mid-October,1897. Yeats writes in a Celtic order book dating from late fall,1897,that he is going to have Florence make Celtic order court cards. If he hasn't yet shown her his Celtic Cross method he would have shown it to her when he got to London.
Roger saw the Gardner entries many years many years before his recent critic.He did not bother to take any further notes as he does not recollect that there was -could not have been anything earlier IN THE GD than when the Yeats-Pollexfen correspondence started them off.By 1909 Waite, and those behind Waite, had equated it with the Kabbalistic cross technique.Waite printed it in 1929.Did he include it in "Doctrine and Literature of the Kabbalah"
On the other hand Yeats had Gypsy Tarot material much earlier from the French.Material which was later incorporated in both Waite and Thierens.The latter of whom incorporated some very nasty references to Florence's and William' s dealings with the Bohemians,actually the DeGuaita group.Roger has nothing on the machine that Florence had direct contact with them.
By the way Barlet was one of the good guys in all of this.When Barlet belatedly discovered some very important- and genuine- black magicians were mixed up in the Leo Taxil fraud,he resigned his office and gave the evidence which probably included Tatrot material to the still very young Guenon. These people had direct connections to the Reuss group as did Crowley,Waite (and Paul Barlowe who,judging by his eccentric and perverse style, is now writing on this thread.)

T.
It was Boiteau d'Ambly in his Les Cartes à jouer et la cartomancie, Paris, 1854, who first spread the gypsy-Tarot connection, which was first made by the Abbé Rive, I believe (pre-Court de Gébelin).
CD.
Check the dates in MD.The two books by the Gypsy (from whom Vaillant says he got his first Tarot information shortly preceded Boiteau who would naturally have seen them.The Gypsy announced that he was going to publish over a dozen more books which contents he listed.But he never did.His books are filled with alleged drawing. ) Vaillant named this Gypsy as the source of his materials however he also named,as we said before, certain Turks who were housing the Romanian Gypsey and who held an identical doctrine.
No Gypsy pack containing these designs is known at present to have existed. The Vaillant manuscripts were last reported seen in Prague at some unknown time before 1928.Since then the Nazis and the Communists have been there for long periods.The manuscripts could be any where or no where by now.

Mary,we know nothing about magic working except what we learned from Roger playing original "Rune Quest" and cleaned up versions of " Empire of the Petal Throne".(That last one's got a lot of Donmeh stuff.) Roger isn't in to either magic in general or GD in particular,but he did do a lot of role playing in his time.
He had to investigate the ORIGINS of the GD because both Yeats and Charles Williams made intensive searches to find out its origins and they often incorporated what they found in their works.Much of this stuff was never GD at all.
For instance,we gave you the reference to Regardie.The Hanged Man never was GD .
His ritual directly from Sothis.One version of this ritual has been in print for twenty years.
People just keep repeating the same old mistaken identifications over and over again.
The use of the Sothis Hanged Man material is obscene in Thierens(He stuck in a dirty achroamatica that has been obliterated in the web version but is obvious in the original text.) We therefore will not certainly not reprint the names of God in a discussion of his work or with a Crowleyite blogger who is obsessing about his barber's backside.
Look,I(yes me,Shane,the typist and editor ) am at University now and I have lots of work to do.The others rely on me and I have to call Roger who pays the bills for the calls when he can be reached It is impossible to continue,particularly when we're talking to a guy who ripped us off for large amounts of Shakespeare material over at Wikie and then claimed we kids were insulting him.We are not the ones printing stuff about eying up people's backsides.We have been in touch with young people at his university and they don't like getting this kind of stuff thrown at them any better than we do.Never again.
P.S. Crowley,Waite and Wescott all had their highly placed political Turks.They are historically identifiable people.Ataturk was educated at a top Donmeh school in Salonika.His folks sent him there all the way from Albania.He was moved into power by a coalition that included four prominent and identifiable Donmeh.He was treated as a Donmeh throughout the circles in which the GD people moved.If you look like a duck,quack like a duck,and are treated like a duck,you are a duck.Same goes for Ataturk.
And,by the way, Paul ,this is not early twentieth century Turkey nor decadent early 21st century England.The current Turkish government has some of the toughest pro-heterosexual laws in Europe.(Amnesty has a petition out protesting them.) Meantime you're lucky that your barber isn't having you up on charges.

Teheuti

The claim to Gypsy blood has been greeted with extreme scepticism .In the course of your research did you encounter it anywhere except in the Brodie-Innes article.
It doesn't matter whether she did have gypsy blood - she claimed to do so. I have come across one or two other (and minor) references to this self-description of hers, but I don't have time to look for them right now.

Yeats writes in a Celtic order book dating from late fall,1897,that he is going to have Florence make Celtic order court cards.
This is the evidence that most of us would like to see. I think it is very exciting.

By 1909 Waite, and those behind Waite, had equated it with the Kabbalistic cross technique.Waite printed it in 1929.Did he include it in "Doctrine and Literature of the Kabbalah"
What is the "it" that you are asking about? The Spread? The GD Kabbalistic Cross?

On the other hand Yeats had Gypsy Tarot material much earlier from the French.
I don't believe Yeats spoke much French at least in the 1890s, although he did spend a couple of short periods there with the Matherses (and of course spent much more time in France later). It is Waite who read and translated the French tarot and magical works, starting fairly early on.