Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996


    · Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

  Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
caridwen 
Citizen
 
caridwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,412
The Difference between Strength and Nine of Wands


At first I didn't see the similarity between these two cards but I'm now beginning to see their connection.

Perseverance despite set backs, inner strength, endurance, resolve, stamina, tolerance...does anyone else see these similarities and what's the difference between them?

If you see someone as Strength or see someone as 9 of Wands - what's the difference?
caridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
reader_brad 
Resident
 
Join Date: 03 Aug 2010
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 43

I'm a firm believer that the majors represent concepts and the minors represent daily events.

In your example, I see Strength as a calling for some form of strength or an assurance that it's there. In contrast, I see the wands as the act of actually overcoming.



__________________
Don't ask a diviner unless you are ready for the answer.
--Brad
reader_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon
Moderator
 
Thirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 7,330
Cool Recognizing our strengths


Quote:
Originally Posted by caridwen View Post
If you see someone as Strength or see someone as 9 of Wands - what's the difference?
The 9/Wands has a "close to the end" feeling about it. An idea of, as you say, stamina--which is as much energy as "strength"--or calling up hidden reserves to face down a final attack or assault. This is the last step; however tired or weary or at the-end-of-your-rope you are, you dredge up this last bit of fiery energy to succeed. If you see someone this way, then you see them as someone you can count on when the chips are down, when no one else will come to your rescue.

Strength, however, isn't about when you find your strength or under what circumstances you discover that stamina. Strength is about recognizing what your strengths are. In some decks the card is called "Power." And what the image of maiden and lion shows is that your strengths (your superpowers if you like) may be things like patience or gentleness as much as they could be roaring vitality. If you see someone this way, then you've met someone who really knows themselves. You can trust them when they say, "I can handle this," because they know their strengths. And they also know their weaknesses and how to mitigate those.

Putting it another way, I'd say that the 9/Wands, like most minors that echo a major, is a "subset" of Strength. There are other cards that can indicate being strong in a certain situation--like say 8/Cups and having the strength to walk away. Put them all together, and you get the Strength card, the Major that isn't about a moment in time or what kind of strength you need to succeed, but about all the different types of strengths you have in you and recognizing them. This is not an easy thing to do as society will sometimes label certain strengths as weaknesses and vice versa. We can't use what we don't recognize or what we mislabel or misunderstand. The Strength card assures us that we do recognize and are rightly labeling our strengths.

Yes?
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
caridwen 
Citizen
 
caridwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,412

I'm not entirely convinced.

Two people in the same group, under the same circumstances. One sees me as Strength and the other sees me as the Nine of Wands. I find it difficult to see why one sees me as 'close to the end'.

Maybe because one sees me as knowing and recognising my Strengths and the other doesn't see my strengths as strengths but pointless perserverance. Something holding me back that needs to be broken down...
caridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
reader_brad 
Resident
 
Join Date: 03 Aug 2010
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 43

sometimes strength would be the strength to do nothing at all... to go with the flow.
Something holding us back and repressing us screams the devil card to me. In my opinion, the devil would be something that is broken by something such as the tower.

Or, on the flip side of this, the high priestess can also hold us back on such a high level, because she knows something we dont. Somewhere here on AT is a spread called harsh truths. that might be worth a look.



__________________
Don't ask a diviner unless you are ready for the answer.
--Brad
reader_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
PAMUYA 
Citizen
 
PAMUYA's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jun 2008
Location: under the Bodhi tree
Posts: 5,143

Strength for me is being able to clam your inner beast, the Nine of Wands for me is giving it one final push, give it your all, your last chance.

I do see your point they do share common qualities, I see the major as your qualites(who you/they are), the minor as action, movement, living in the moment, the now that will pass(short term quality).

Strength is who you are, the Nine of Wands is the action(it might not be who you are)
PAMUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
starrystarrynight 
Intolerance intolerant
 
starrystarrynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Feb 2006
Location: The Quiet Corner...Connecticut USA
Posts: 18,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by caridwen
Two people in the same group, under the same circumstances. One sees me as Strength and the other sees me as the Nine of Wands. I find it difficult to see why one sees me as 'close to the end'.
Hmmm...the difference between these two cards? Maybe: One person sees you as having quiet confidence--courage enough to face any challenge, easily summoned at any time...but you don't have to prove it to anyone--it's just there in gentle internal fortitude (Strength.) The other sees you as someone who may have summoned up enough courage to face some opposition and win (and you have the battle scars to prove it, which are always evident in the way you carry yourself,) but that courage/confidence isn't seamlessly intrinsic in your nature. In fact, he may see you as someone who remains in a protective stance simply because you don't have pure enough confidence in yourself at the ready all the time to ever let your guard completely down.

It could be a matter of...I don't know...projection? degree? With Strength, this courage/confidence simply a part of your makeup that shines out from within (and that's how the first guy sees you.) With the Nine of Wands, it's available to you, but you feel you have to prove you have it and do so by the way you present yourself--always ready to defend yourself in some way (which is how the other guy sees you.)

........? Not really sure I've said what I think or if what I think has much validity anyway. But it's given me something to contemplate.



__________________
I never bend, fold, or mutilate. Unless I'm in a hurry.
starrystarrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
nisaba 
Tarot-Tart
 
nisaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 40,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by caridwen View Post
Perseverance despite set backs, inner strength, endurance, resolve, stamina, tolerance...does anyone else see these similarities and what's the difference between them?

If you see someone as Strength or see someone as 9 of Wands - what's the difference?
Strength *has* all that stuff, the Nine Wands *needs* all that stuff.
nisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon
Moderator
 
Thirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 7,330
Cool Strong all the time, or only under special circumstances


Quote:
Originally Posted by caridwen View Post
I'm not entirely convinced.

Two people in the same group, under the same circumstances. One sees me as Strength and the other sees me as the Nine of Wands. I find it difficult to see why one sees me as 'close to the end'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrystarrynight View Post
Hmmm...the difference between these two cards? Maybe: One person sees you as having quiet confidence--courage enough to face any challenge, easily summoned at any time...but you don't have to prove it to anyone--it's just there in gentle internal fortitude (Strength.) The other sees you as someone who may have summoned up enough courage to face some opposition and win (and you have the battle scars to prove it, which are always evident in the way you carry yourself,) but that courage/confidence isn't seamlessly intrinsic in your nature. In fact, he may see you as someone who remains in a protective stance simply because you don't have pure enough confidence in yourself at the ready all the time to ever let your guard completely down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisaba View Post
Strength *has* all that stuff, the Nine Wands *needs* all that stuff.
What Starry and Nisaba said! Remember to keep in mind that when you pull cards indicating how people see you, that doesn't mean this is how you are. How we see other people often says more about us, our fears, our weaknesses, our prejudices, then it does about them and how they really are.

So if someone is seeing you as defensive, protective, the sort who will put up a show of strength if you feel attacked...maybe they're seeing you that way not because that's what you're like, or what you're radiating, but because they're that way. And they think you're that way, too. Or maybe they want you to be that way for whatever reason. Either way, the person who sees you as Strength is seeing more of you than the person who sees you as 9/Wands. They may both see you as a strong person, but the one who sees you as Strength sees you as always strong in various situations and in various ways. The one who sees you as 9/Wands sees you as strong only when under attack or on the defensive. They likely believe if you're relax and have your guard down, you won't be so strong.
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
caridwen 
Citizen
 
caridwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,412

Thanks all for your input. I had never seen these cards as similar before but now I'm wondering how why not All helpful stuff
caridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Reply
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 16:40.

 


Tarot Forum Categories
· Tarot Decks
· Using Tarot Cards
· Tarot Trading
· Talking Tarot
· Reading Exchange
· Your Readings
· Tarot Games & Fun
· Tarot Deck Creation
· Marseilles
· Rider-Waite-Smith
· Thoth Tarot
· Tarot Study Groups
· Lenormand
· Oracles
· Divination
· Spirituality
· Chat
· New Members
· Advertisements
· Forum Help


Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Steampunk Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Angel Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Dragon Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Fantasy Decks
· Tarot Books
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Upcoming Decks
· Solandia's Top Ten
· Top Ten Decks
· List All Decks

Who is behind the Aeclectic Tarot Forum?

My name is Kate Hill (also known as Solandia) and I'm a Tarot reader, deck collector, and lifelong student of the beauty and diversity of Tarot cards.

I created Aeclectic in 1996 to share my passion for Tarot with the world, and started the forum in 2000 so others could share theirs too. Contact me via email or here at the forum.

  Contribute to Aeclectic

· Add your deck
· Write a review
· Join the community

Get new deck updates via email
  Aeclectic Tarot Resources

Copyright © Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved.