marseille tarot book

l'appeso

hi,

I was looking for a good comprehensive book on marseille tarot in english (or italian), I looked in the old threads but couldn't come out with some titles.
I was thinking of buying one of these two books, even though they seem to be rather general:

- Place, Robert M. - The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination
- Huson, Paul - Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage

which one is more marseille-focussed? thanks!

Greg Stanton

They complement each other well, and you should read both. Place's book, while containing an excellent overview of the historical tarot, is more focused on the RWS. Huson's book can be used with a Marseilles, but his own Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot is based on his research for his book and is worth getting. The best book on using a Marseilles-style deck is Lee Burston's, which can only be obtained by purchasing the LoScarabeo Marseilles deck and book set. I disliked the deck so much I gave it away, but kept the book.

Richard

I have JMD's ebook Reading the Marseille Tarot. It is mostly an in depth study of each individual card, focussing on the historical origins of the images. I like it very much, but I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for.

I like Lee Bursten's ideas on interpreting the Marseille, but they may be evolving. I would like to see him publish a general book on reading the Marseille, incorporating his latest thoughts, but not as a companion book to a particular deck.

Meanwhile, there is a wealth of information in the Marseille forum of this site and also in the Tarot Authentique site.

l'appeso

maybe I should get "the Mysthical origins of the Tarot" for a wider historical background and "Reading the Marseille Tarot" for specific information on TdM, even if I'd like to find both aspects on the same book.
Unfortunately it seems that most TdM books are in French :(

Yves Le Marseillais

Books are only books and wood (Woody wood pecker)

maybe I should get "the Mysthical origins of the Tarot" for a wider historical background and "Reading the Marseille Tarot" for specific information on TdM, even if I'd like to find both aspects on the same book.
Unfortunately it seems that most TdM books are in French :(

Hello from France,

Yes most of TdM books are frenchy.... like this brand new one.

http://www.tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/code_sacre_tarot.html

From a colleague of me based in Marseille. As me.

I hope his english version will come up soon but you know it depend of editiors and success of course.

Best from South

Yves LM

Tibor

How about The Way of Tarot by Jodorowsky and Costa? I have it and although I have not read it in its entirety but what I have read so far is good enough.

l'appeso

How about The Way of Tarot by Jodorowsky and Costa? I have it and although I have not read it in its entirety but what I have read so far is good enough.

I have that book. In fact that's the book that re-started my tarot interest after 20 years. I read it and I liked it but I know that many doubt about Jodorowksy's restoration of TdM...

gregory

I have that book. In fact that's the book that re-started my tarot interest after 20 years. I read it and I liked it but I know that many doubt about Jodorowksy's restoration of TdM...

Also his marketing. :mad:

I find Huson very good indeed, and fairly good on TdM. And jmd's book is excellent, but you need a degree of dedication to read it on the screen. Which you have, so THAT's OK :D

l'appeso

Hello from France,

Yes most of TdM books are frenchy.... like this brand new one.

http://www.tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/code_sacre_tarot.html

From a colleague of me based in Marseille. As me.

I hope his english version will come up soon but you know it depend of editiors and success of course.

Best from South

Yves LM

as far as I've read from the site (at least with my poor french) it looks like a really outstanding and complex work. maybe for now I need something more basical but I'll be curious to have an english (or better italian) translation