The Rosetta Tarot

Maskelyne

I found this is my mailbox this (Saturday) evening, after having impulsively violated the tarot budget Wednesday evening. Just unpacking the box was an entertainment. Before coming to the bubble-wrapped deck, there was the author (M. M. Meleen)'s business card, with a miniature of The Universe card on the back. Taped to the inside of the cover was a baggie containing the "bonus significator" card, with my name in heiroglyphics on the face. But the real bonus here is the back of the card, which is a print of the card back of such quality it's almost like a watercolor. I think I'm going to frame it.

The tuck box bears the Death card on the cover, and, wonderfully, opens from the front. Under the deck is a very meaty LWB The pages are un-numbered and I didn't count, but each major gets a page, aces and faces a half-page each, small cards about three and a half pages per suit, plus six pages of introduction and "the Rosetta Stone Spread", appropriately for a stone 3x3.

The cards have black borders, with numbers at the top and titles at the bottom. The titles follow the Thoth pattern. I liked the black borders immediately. On a black cloth, the cards look like borderless pictures, with their names and numbers floating next to them. The artwork is true to the symbology of the Thoth, but also expresses a distinctive personal vision of the deck. The coloring is visually and conceptually brilliant. The computer screen is inadequate to convey the full scale of the palette.

I started dealing cards off the top of the deck, the Ten of Disks. The pip cards, like the Thoth's, are un-figured but use color, geometry, and the character of the pips to convey meaning. The Five of Disks, Worry, has as disks dial faces, shoring a clock approaching quitting time, a gauge in the danger zone, a tach in the red zone, a fuel gauge approaching E, and a compass. The five are arranged in the Thoth's inverted pentagram on a steampunkish wooden (?) panel with a yellow toggle switch in the lower right. It's a multitasking catastrophe that nicely conveys what the instability of the five does on the material plane.

I haven't tried reading with it yet but just on the artwork and thought this one's a winner.

I'm going back to it now.

Le Fanu

I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this. I have been curious about it and plan to order once I'm into "next" month's tarot budget.

Unlike you, I am very disciplined in my tarot budget, very controlled ;) })

Alta

I ordered this because I love the Thoth and really liked what she had done with it in the scans. But being in another country, I suspect I'll have a two week wait.

sapienza

I really love the look of this deck.

rwcarter

I ordered mine on Sunday and they arrived on Wednesday. I've only had a chance to flip through the cards to make sure they're all there and glance through the book. I'm generally very happy with the set. Not being a Thother (yet? yet! yet...) I can't speak to that aspect of the deck. But visually nice imagery, and that's what usually draws me to a deck.

rwcarter

BodhiSeed, I bought the book. What would you like to know about it?

BodhiSeed

BodhiSeed, I bought the book. What would you like to know about it?
Besides being a companion book, the website states it is "a good introductory guide to aspects of Astrology and Qabalah as relating to Golden Dawn and Thoth-based tarot systems." What I know about Thoth and astrology I can count on one finger. Is this book easy to understand as far as these aspects go, especially for someone like me? Do you think the book adds a lot more to the deck (meanings, symbols, etc.) than the booklet that comes with it? Thanks Rwcarter:heart:!

Le Fanu

Besides being a companion book, the website states it is "a good introductory guide to aspects of Astrology and Qabalah as relating to Golden Dawn and Thoth-based tarot systems."
That sounds like what the Magical Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot promised. I have to say, I have started reading it and thought it was excellent. It has all these things and speaks my language, so I wonder whether I need the Rosetta companion book (though completism beckons) when this book is such a good introduction. Maybe Rodney you can answer that as I know you have the Magical GD deck (or rather, I'm sure you have it!)