Predominance of a planet

JDisTheBest

I'm not an expert on astrology or anything so I'm asking this question.

There was this kid that was was born a long time ago and he had his chart read when he was young and he had a predominance of mars in his chart so it was predicted that he would be a great general when he grew up and what do you know, he was.

Casanova had a dominance of moon and Venus in his and he is remembered as one of the most famous lovers in history.

I have 5 aspects with my sun and 4 with my moon and they are my dominant planets. What would that mean?

Also if anyone wants to do an exchange, you do your astrology thing and I'll do my Tarot thing, I am willing to negotiate a deal that you think is fair.

MareSaturni

First, I'd not really know is aspects alone make a planet 'dominant'.

I think it depends on the planet's dignities inside a chart - whether it is well-placed or not. If it is in a dignified house, or in one of the cardinal ones like I, IV, VII and X, if it's in domicile, if it's in its own triplicity and decan etc.

I believe the aspects can reinforce certain facets of the planet and help to manifest more positive or negative characteristics. But alone don't they don't make a planet stronger. UNLESS, I'd say, if it's in a major aspect with the Sun, the Moon and the ASC - then I think that could make a planet have a stronger presence in the chart.

So I think you'd have to find out which planet is more 'well placed' in your chart overall, before determining which one is really dominant.

I am no astrology expert, so I hope others will chime in too. :) I am sure they can give you a more definite answer!

JDisTheBest

First, I'd not really know is aspects alone make a planet 'dominant'.

I think it depends on the planet's dignities inside a chart - whether it is well-placed or not. If it is in a dignified house, or in one of the cardinal ones like I, IV, VII and X, if it's in domicile, if it's in its own triplicity and decan etc.

I believe the aspects can reinforce certain facets of the planet and help to manifest more positive or negative characteristics. But alone don't they don't make a planet stronger. UNLESS, I'd say, if it's in a major aspect with the Sun, the Moon and the ASC - then I think that could make a planet have a stronger presence in the chart.

So I think you'd have to find out which planet is more 'well placed' in your chart overall, before determining which one is really dominant.

I am no astrology expert, so I hope others will chime in too. :) I am sure they can give you a more definite answer!

K. Makes sense. I was curious as to what that would mean. Having sun and moon showing up that much. And if you count my sun trine moon then they are even at 5 for the number of times they show up.

Thanks for your answer tho. I looked some of what you said up after I posted this, it makes sense what you said :p

MareSaturni

K. Makes sense. I was curious as to what that would mean. Having sun and moon showing up that much. And if you count my sun trine moon then they are even at 5 for the number of times they show up.

Thanks for your answer tho. I looked some of what you said up after I posted this, it makes sense what you said :p

I wasn't saying that you were wrong...I am sure all this must have a significance as well. :)

I just cannot tell you exactly what it is, because I lack experience, and because I think we would need to look at your entire chart in order to know what these highly influential Moon and Sun would mean for you. Each chart presents a different 'context' for the planets to manifest.

Perhaps you could post a picture of your chart here? Or a link to it?

There are many good astrologers here in the forum, I suggest you wait for their answers. I am sure they can help you much more than I! :)

dadsnook2000

Planets in natal charts

The natal chart 1) describes one's character, health and birth environment in general terms, and 2) as potential areas and lines of development. In itself, it doesn't define the future. Other forms of charts and astrological practice do that. The what, why, when of opportunities for change and how one deals with those opportunities is not, strictly speaking, in the natal chart.

Now, some will say that (for example) Saturn at the MC points to a fall from power or the ruination of one's public status. If true, then when, why, how? That statement is not a prediction, is not overly useful in helping the subject.

Dave

Minderwiz

'Dominant' is a vague term - most of us know it has something to do with being strong (actually it means 'master' or 'owner') but you will find lots of different methods of calling a planet 'dominant' spread throughout the history of Astrology. 'The Arabs actually used the word 'Almuten' meaning 'Winner' to describe dominant planets and had a whole series of tests for being an 'Almuten'.

Now I prefer to use the words 'strong' or 'strength' and this depends on a whole series of factors, including certain aspects. Marina has mentioned the concepts of dignity and accidental dignity - the first depends on sign placement the latter depends on chart position, phase relation to the Sun and aspects.

Aspects can either increase or decrease strength - thus some modern Astrologers may take an opposition from Neptune or Pluto as reducing strength, others will take squares and oppositions as weakening and sextiles and trines as strengthening. However some Astrologers seem to feel that the more connections a planet has the more it will influence our behaviour.

I take partile sextiles and trines from Venus and Jupiter as strengthening and partile squares and oppositions from Mars and Saturn as weakening. However, aspects on their own do not determine strength. Dave uses the example of Saturn on the MC and says some Astrologers might use that as a sign of a fall from power and a loss of public status. If the MC was in Aquarius and Saturn was direct and otherwise not impeded, this could actually be a very good sign for future status and career - if you take advantage of the opportunities that come your way.

I agree with Dave's point about natal charts not containing 'predictions' to an extent. The natal chart has some 'general' level of prediction, Indeed it's implicit in Dave's answer - if you know someone's character you can make some predictions about how they will behave in certain situations. However such predictions are general and as Dave says, to put forward a good prediction you would need to use some derived charts. Many traditional Astrologers believed that the natal chart contains a prediction about the length of a person's life. They may have been right at the time but modern medicine means that many life threatening condition can be averted, so this is something that I'd not be willing to try!

You can use the natal chart to advise or counsel, about career or marriage, you can even derive some information about a possible marriage partner but as Dave says if the opportunities don't present themselves or we fail to take advantages of them when they do, then the 'natal potential' will not be realised. Reading a natal chart is just the beginning - what matters is using the natal chart and derived charts to review the possible options coming up during a future period of time.

JDisTheBest

Makes sense. I'll have to look more into astrology and see what all this stuff means. I'll post a picture of my chart tho so if someone wants to help they can.

'Dominant' is a vague term - most of us know it has something to do with being strong (actually it means 'master' or 'owner') but you will find lots of different methods of calling a planet 'dominant' spread throughout the history of Astrology. 'The Arabs actually used the word 'Almuten' meaning 'Winner' to describe dominant planets and had a whole series of tests for being an 'Almuten'.

Now I prefer to use the words 'strong' or 'strength' and this depends on a whole series of factors, including certain aspects. Marina has mentioned the concepts of dignity and accidental dignity - the first depends on sign placement the latter depends on chart position, phase relation to the Sun and aspects.

Aspects can either increase or decrease strength - thus some modern Astrologers may take an opposition from Neptune or Pluto as reducing strength, others will take squares and oppositions as weakening and sextiles and trines as strengthening. However some Astrologers seem to feel that the more connections a planet has the more it will influence our behaviour.

I take partile sextiles and trines from Venus and Jupiter as strengthening and partile squares and oppositions from Mars and Saturn as weakening. However, aspects on their own do not determine strength. Dave uses the example of Saturn on the MC and says some Astrologers might use that as a sign of a fall from power and a loss of public status. If the MC was in Aquarius and Saturn was direct and otherwise not impeded, this could actually be a very good sign for future status and career - if you take advantage of the opportunities that come your way.

I agree with Dave's point about natal charts not containing 'predictions' to an extent. The natal chart has some 'general' level of prediction, Indeed it's implicit in Dave's answer - if you know someone's character you can make some predictions about how they will behave in certain situations. However such predictions are general and as Dave says, to put forward a good prediction you would need to use some derived charts. Many traditional Astrologers believed that the natal chart contains a prediction about the length of a person's life. They may have been right at the time but modern medicine means that many life threatening condition can be averted, so this is something that I'd not be willing to try!

You can use the natal chart to advise or counsel, about career or marriage, you can even derive some information about a possible marriage partner but as Dave says if the opportunities don't present themselves or we fail to take advantages of them when they do, then the 'natal potential' will not be realised. Reading a natal chart is just the beginning - what matters is using the natal chart and derived charts to review the possible options coming up during a future period of time.

ihcoyc

I'd say Mercury is your strongest planet. Mercury rules your Ascendant. He's in Virgo, which he also rules. Mercury is in his own term. The rising degree of the Ascendant is in a term of Mercury.

Minderwiz

I'd say Mercury is your strongest planet. Mercury rules your Ascendant. He's in Virgo, which he also rules. Mercury is in his own term. The rising degree of the Ascendant is in a term of Mercury.

Yes, Mercury has the most essential dignity of any planet, is placed in the fifth, a succeedent house. Mercury also comes out as Almuten of the Chart on Ibn Ezra's calculation. The only contenders are Venus, also in the fifth but in Libra and Saturn in Aquarius in the tenth. The main drawback to Mercury is he is entering combustion but there's so much essential dignity and also Mercury is very fast. Mercury also aspects the Ascendant. Venus is slow and Saturn is retrograde. Finally Mercury aspects the Ascendant and it's always a good sign if the Ascendant ruler aspects the Ascendant.

Looking at the printout on Astro.com, the list of aspects shown includes quintiles and bi-quintiles, quincunxes and the sesquiquadrate, in other words they've probably set the program to include all aspects, whether they are major or minor. They've also included Chiron in the list of aspected planets and points - so with 13 planets and points to aspect and any aspect accepted no matter how low it's significance, it's not surprising that you've got lots of contacts.

As a beginner, you're best ignoring the minor aspects, I'd also say ignore Chiron, you can always add it in later if you really feel a need.