Hallowquest Lesson 17 - The Investiture of the Sword

PathWalker

Now at the end of our time in the Sword quest, we lay out the cards we have worked with this season, and spend time meditating on each one.

Then there is a period of "assimilation and examination" which includes:

Tasks
1. Draw a map of your journey or create a cartoon strip that depicts your experiences. It doesn't matter whether you can draw or not. This can then be placed upon your Sword Shrine.
2. Write a blessing of the Sword to benefit all living things.
3. Make a meal in celebration of your Sword quest with the food and drink that you consider most suitable. This could be a ritual meal, a small dinner with friends, a party, or a solitarty meal in communiion with all your inner friends.

The Sword Family
1. Who does this card remind me of? (A living friend, enemy, acquaintance, relative etc.)
2. Which historical/mythological character does this remind me of?
3. What features/characteristics do I share with the Sword family?

Greater Powers
1. What gifts have you gained in the Sword realm? What qualities do they convery? How will you use them?
2. What blessings can you mediate from this realm to the world about you?

Swords cards
1. What part of my life does this card represent?
2. How did I feel at that moment?
3. If I could change this experince, which Arthurian Tarot card would I set next to it, to mitigate, compliment, improve or lessen it's effect?
4. What have I learned from this quest?

PathWalker

Pathwalker - lesson 17 part 1

Now at the end of our time in the Sword quest, we lay out the cards we have worked with this season, and spend time meditating on each one.

For me, this involved reading aloud the writings I had done as I worked through each card, and then writing down what popped into my mind in the silence afterwards. I'm sure I could have spent much more time here, but life get's in the way!

Then there is a period of "assimilation and examination" which includes:

Tasks
1. Draw a map of your journey or create a cartoon strip that depicts your experiences. It doesn't matter whether you can draw or not. This can then be placed upon your Sword Shrine.

This will be created as a little textile piece, possibly simple embroideries on paper pages and made into a small book. This connects with other things I have been working through lately, and the gift of a sewing kit in an earlier meditation.

2. Write a blessing of the Sword to benefit all living things.

"May all the land benefit from another member of the Company of the Hallows and the wielding of the Sword. Each living thing, each piece of land, each waterway, each person. May I be a blessing where I wak, where I speak, where I pray and where I work. May I bring truth's light, and leave nothing but joy."

3. Make a meal in celebration of your Sword quest with the food and drink that you consider most suitable. This could be a ritual meal, a small dinner with friends, a party, or a solitarty meal in communiion with all your inner friends.

For me this will be alone with the inner realm of the Sword, elderflower presse and herb sandwiches I think! :)

PathWalker

Pathwalker lesson 17 part 2

The Sword Family
1. Who does this card remind me of? (A living friend, enemy, acquaintance, relative etc.)
SWORD MAIDEN
Reminds me of a lady I knew a few years ago (and did not get on with :( ) always stitching, dedicated to her chosen goal, very very sharp.

SWORD KNIGHT
M, the husband of a friend, practical, active, ready to step out and get a thing done.

SWORD QUEEN
K, from my last place of work. Single minded, clever, thinks that the end justifies the means.

SWORD KING
? not sure. Someone just, clear minded, penetrating gaze.

2. Which historical/mythological character does this remind me of?

Didn't really get any inspiration for this bit!

3. What features/characteristics do I share with the Sword family?

I can be truthful, clear sighted, clever - but sometimes these things are not appreciated. I can be active and dedicated.

Greater Powers
1. What gifts have you gained in the Sword realm? What qualities do they convery? How will you use them?

The gifts I received: a golden link, a water cup, ointment,a sewing kit, a hair bracelet.
The golden link reminds me of both the preciousness of the individual and the stregnth of shared action. I hope I will value folk more as I reflect on this, and may be able to work better with others.
The water cup - simple, nourishing, vital, unassuming, the gift of life and refereshment of body and soul. Can I be like the gift, the gift of a cup of water in a time of need? Can I bring clean freshness to stale barren places?
Ointment: balm,kindness, relief, laying on of hands, healing. I must share this, it is not only for me.
Sewing kit - for repair and ornamentation. I hope that I can help repair and beautify my land, to create something good in a place which ha suffered.
Hair bracelet: it is a conncetion to the inner realm, to the wisdom and caring of the Lady of the Lake. It reminds me I am part of a different family. I'm not sure how I should use this gift, but I'm thinking on it.

2. What blessings can you mediate from this realm to the world about you?

I could use the gifts and the lessons of the path to be more of a gift and blessing myself - to the people I meet and to the place I live.

PathWalker

Pathwalker lesson 17 part 3

Swords cards
1. What part of my life does this card represent?
2. How did I feel at that moment?
3. If I could change this experince, which Arthurian Tarot card would I set next to it, to mitigate, compliment, improve or lessen it's effect?

Taking all three questions together -

SWORD TWO
A time, a long time ago, when I chose between two people, two futures.
At the time I rushed the decision, did not consider all the possible outcomes.
If I could have, I would have added the energy of the Flowering of Logres, the children holding hands and playing, helping me see important points I was missing, and keeping that joyful connection going forever.

SWORD THREE
I realised I had lost someone forever, they had become someone in my absence who I could not recognise or reach.
I was heartbroken at having caused this loss, and not being able to reverse it.
Perhaps the Grail Hallow - unrestricted unconditional love poured out - maybe that would have helped.

SWORD FOUR
Moments of spiritual clarity, quiet times when I can be alone and let go to the experience.
I feel peaceful and blessed at these times.
Grail Hermit to add - keep that focus, write things down, keep studying and learning and being in that place.

SWORD FIVE
Heated words ignite, damage is done, things are lost
Despair, lamentation. I feel sad, foolish, angry at myself and them too.
Grail Two - peaceful setting and the two doves drinking form the same bowl of water - this could have been a balm to the situation.

SWORD SIX
Oh, the desire to escape my daily situation and sail away to a more simple place.
Usually I feel stressed when I want this journey to take place.
Sowrd Four maybe? To re-focus on what is really important to me, to find some peace and solace here and now.

SWORD SEVEN
Perhaps this is now, an adventure in the off-ing?
I feel excitement, but a little scared, no map or plan.
I'd like to add Merlin beside this then, the map, the castles on the hills, the Hallows!

SWORD EIGHT
When I relaise I've got myself into a bad situation - and I feel the temptation to run madly in any direction, just to experience action and movement.
The Lady of the Lake! Watre is her domain, knowledge, guidance and compassion some of her gifts.

SWORD NINE
This is such a bleak picture, too hard to write about, but I remember it.
The Star. Hope in sight, light in the darkest of nights.

SWORD TEN
A safe haven.
A place of peace and giving me a sense of comfort when I feel I'm alone and doing the right thing.
I'd like the Sun to keep shining in my internal landscape - with the promise of a wonderful day and adventure in the landscape if I should start becoming withdrawn.

4. What have I learned from this quest?
Sometimes my mind - oh so sharp - rushes ahead, and I say things in an unconsidered way.
They might be true, but they are not compassionate or gentle, and I create hurtful situations.

But I have stregnths too, and the ability to think carefully if I chose, I could wield the Sword well, if I kept in touch with the inner powers to help me.

I am not an island.