Horary DIY

Lee

Much thanks to you both -- your explanations are greatly appreciated.

Astraea

I haven't come across an outcome perfected as desired by opposition - hence my comment about it being a negative indicator.
Nor have I, the operative words being "as desired." The opposition, when it brings something about, ends up with the person wishing he hadn't bothered - rather like those fairy tales in which the hero initially seems to get what he wants (by dint of brazen willfulness), but at a heartbreaking cost.

Since Lee's question was whether or not an aspect (even a square or opposition) is more conducive to results between significators than no aspect at all, I tried to confine myself to the terms of the question - but aspects always act in and through the dignities and debilities of the planets involved, and a host of other considerations.

Lee

I know of no other way to recognize one's individual resonance with astrological symbolism than to study Lilly and other source texts, practice constantly, and keep records of the results.
Okay, I just ordered Lilly from Amazon. With Prime shipping it will arrive on Wednesday. :)

Minderwiz

Nor have I, the operative words being "as desired." The opposition, when it brings something about, ends up with the person wishing he hadn't bothered - rather like those fairy tales in which the hero initially seems to get what he wants (by dint of brazen willfulness), but at a heartbreaking cost.

Since Lee's question was whether or not an aspect (even a square or opposition) is more conducive to results between significators than no aspect at all, I tried to confine myself to the terms of the question - but aspects always act in and through the dignities and debilities of the planets involved, and a host of other considerations.

Me wandering off the exact question again :) Yes I understood that that is what you meant and I think you are right on the nail with that observation

idyll

Yes by all means - a new chart and question would be appreciated!

Awesome :)

I'll post my location/the time I finalize the question at here, so that if you'd prefer to draw the chart for that time you can.. I'll probably draw one for that time and at least try to walk through it at some point over the next day or 2. Once I do so, I'll post it :)

I was torn between 2 questions, but I think there's one that's taken more importance for me right now, which is:

Will M and I have any kind of relationship in the next 2 months (so by around mid April)?

Background for this: M and I were very close, and have fallen out of contact in the past month or so although the doors are still more or less open for communication (there's a history here of being a bit on/off in each others lifes). We used to be romantically involved, but more recently were trying to build more of a friendship.

By relationship in this circumstance I mean any kind of relationship that is stable and consistent, whether it be one of friendship or one that is more romantic. It could even be a friendship where we only meet up for coffee once a month to catch up.. as long as it's predictable/consistent and there is no longer a question if we are or are not a part of each other's lifes.

Hope that's enough details to make my question correct, if not just let me know :)

When I draw this chart, I'll be drawing it for 2:08PM, with the location being Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

Lee

I'm going to post one more attempt to interpret a chart, and then I'll retire for several weeks/months and do some reading. :)

The Question: I am moving next month. I'm hoping for quiet neighbors. As anyone who's lived in an apartment knows, a noisy and/or vindictive neighbor can cause a great amount of stress, and the only surefire method of dealing with it is to move out, a costly and hassle-filled solution. So, Will the neighbors at the new apartment building be noisy?

(This ties in, although I didn't plan it that way, with our discussion above about a "Will X happen" question when X is a nasty which I hope to avoid.)

Chart data: Bethesda, Maryland, USA (77.6 W, 38.58 N), time 18:42, GMT -5, no daylight savings.

Moon is not void of course so we can proceed.

Significators: For me (1st house for self), Mercury in Aquarius in the 6th. For my neighbors (3rd house for neighbors), Venus in Aries in the 8th.

My dignities/debilities
Mercury scores:
+3 for being in its own triplicity
-4 for 6th House
-5 for being Combust
+4 for being direct
+2 for being occidental
+2 for being fast
Total +2

Neighbors' dignities/debilities
Venus scores:
+2 for being in its own terms
-5 for being in its detriment
-4 for 8th House
+4 for being direct
+2 for being occidental
(Venus is neither slow nor fast)
Total -1

So, neither I nor my neighbors have much dignity.

Mercury is in a square aspect to Saturn, however this hopefully is ameliorated by the fact that it's a reception (Mercury in Aquarius is being aspected by its own sign ruler). (Question: Unless I am mistaken, this aspect is separating -- does that mean I should ignore it altogether, even though it is very close?)

There is no aspect or antiscia between the significators. Unless I am mistaken, there is no translation or collection of light. (Question: If I'm correct, it looks like the Moon will square Mercury on early Thursday, and will go on to trine Venus at around midday Thursday. Does this count as translation of light? I'm guessing not, because neither aspect is actually occurring yet. [I just checked "On the Heavenly Spheres" and it specifies that one aspect must be separating and one must be applying -- in this case neither aspect is separating or applying, it's all in the future, so I guess this wouldn't count -- on the other hand, Minderwiz says check the Moon's past and future aspects, so I'm not sure how this impacts the result.])

Forming judgment:

To use Astraea's phrase, I still feel like I'm flying blind in terms of what interpretive road to go down. So I'll just pick a road and stick with it. Since neither significator has dignity and there is no aspect or antiscia between them, it seems to me that this chart is saying "nothing happening," i.e. neighbors will not be noisy. (Presumably a trine/sextile might have meant "yes noisy but it won't be too bad" and square/opposition might have meant "yes noisy and it will be bad.") My significator Mercury is very close to changing signs, but perhaps this doesn't signify much, as there is no other indication of change that I can see in the chart.

Mercury is combust, so I'm taking that to mean I will go unnoticed by my neighbors, which in this situation is a good thing -- mean neighbors who don't notice me would be less likely to torment me with noise. (Perhaps this ties in with what Astraea said about Mercury possibly not being negatively affected by combust since Mercury lives close to the sun anyway.) Mercury is moving out of combust, though, and also out of sign -- could that mean the situation might change, and I might get noticed? Even so, I see no bad things happening elsewhere in the chart so it's hard for me to imagine it will be a bad result. Everyone involved has poor dignity, which suggests to me that everyone is in a weakened state (tired after coming home from work every day?) and thus will keep to themselves and not cause trouble with neighbors.

Astraea

Oh, can I ever relate to your dilemma! It's awful to have noisy neighbors and I'm glad you'll be moving to a new location.

Was your chart drawn for today? I'll assume so.

Usually, when one is talking about "nexts" - next husband, next house, next neighbor - the existing party or situation is shown by one house, and the next by another removed at an equal distance; in this case, the noisemakers would be shown by the 3rd house (since they are your neighbors at this moment), and the new neighbors by the 5th (the 3rd from the 3rd). Note that this has nothing to do with typical 5th-house meanings - we're only talking about derived houses here. If you were purchasing a house, your existing house would be 4th and the prospective house would be 7th (4th from the 4th); new spouse would be 1st (7th from the 7th), and so on.

First we check to see if the chart describes the situation, and it does. You are shown as a tenant (your ruler Mercury being in the 6th house); your present neighbors are signified by Mars in the 1st house - they are in your face, literally. Your ruler is at 29 degrees Aquarius, showing that you are about to make a change. Mercury is moving away from combustion, underscoring your departure from a heated situation.

The Moon, which is always co-ruler of the question, is in the Via Combusta in the 3rd house of the existing neighbors, applying to a sextile with her ruler Mars in your first - to me, this underscores your irritation with them and the effort (sextile) it takes to share space with them.

The new neighbors are shown by Saturn in Libra, as Capricorn is on the cusp of the 5th (3rd from the 3rd). He is exalted, although retrograde. Mercury is indeed separating from a trine to Saturn, which probably represents recent contact (if only peripherally) with the new neighbors.

The fact that both you and the new neighbors are both disposited by an exalted Saturn is a good sign. It shows that you are in the same ballpark, so to speak - and will probably see things in a similar way.

This is a case that I would judge by the dignities and indications of the planets, more than aspects between significators. You are asking if the new neighbors will be a better match for you than the old, which the dignities indicate is indeed the case. You are not asking if you should move from one apartment to the next, but whether you will have a better rapport with the new neighbors than the existing ones - so the neighbors having the best dignities win.

The fact that the trine between Mercury (you) and Saturn (the new neighbors) is separating might show that you're enjoying some measure of wishful thinking that will require eventual adjustment (especially since Saturn is retrograde and exalted, a dignity that tends toward exaggeration), but still the new neighbors represent an improvement over the ones you have now.

Mercury and Mars (the existing neighbors) do have a reception, but without an aspect you have less and less attachment to them.

One thing that bothers me is that the term "neighbors" is so general, and an apartment complex involves many neighbors. So I would have to take the chart's indications in a loose and nonspecific way.

I'll be interested to hear how Minderwiz sees this situation.

(Edited to add: I was just looking over your score tabulation and see that you have listed Venus as ruler of the 3rd - I must have been wrong in assuming you cast the chart for today, and if so forget everything I've said :D) I drew up a chart for today at 6:48 PM, Bethesda MD.)

Lee

Hi Astraea, sorry if I was unclear -- actually my current neighbors are not noisy, I'm moving for other reasons. I have had noisy neighbors at previous residences, but not at my current one.

So in my question I'm not actually comparing neighbors. Rather, I'm asking the simple question will the new ones be noisy.

Lee

Hmm, I did draw the chart for today. On the Morinus chart it appears that the third house cusp is in very late degree Libra. My desktop PC is off right now so I cant check the actual cusps degree.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay I turned my PC back on (and then I really must get to sleep, LOL!). Morinus has the third house cusp at 29 degrees 16 minutes Libra. I will send you an e-mail with the chart attached. I am eager to see where I went wrong! :)