Horary DIY

Ronia

Minderwiz, please take a look at what I did here. The chart was cast on Feb 20, 2012, at 10:08 am in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Question: will I start a new committed relationship by the end of this year? Asc in Taurus, I'm Venus. She is in the 12th which is not good but it also shows that at this point I'd rather keep it secret which is true. Considering my son, I'd take it slowly and not demonstrating any relationship until I'm sure it's worth it. Also, I just don't feel like showing off any personal development, too many complications around me. He is Mars, ruler of the 7th, placed in the 5th - a lover? Or he will be in love? Good placement by house?

Venus and Mars are both in detriment but Venus is in her own terms, some dignity here. She is also in Mars's sign, is she depending on him? How to read this? Mars is in Venus's triplicity and has just left Venus's terms, is this mutual reception or is he leaving her influence, so to speak? But I don't know this man, so this is probably not the correct answer.

There is no aspect between Venus and Mars. But the Moon (my co-ruler) is forming an exact applying biquintil to Mars and I read that this is considered a bit of a "lucky circumstances" aspect, do we consider minor aspects? Next aspect the Moon will form is a sextile to Venus, so I thought the Moon here is carrying light, am I correct and is this a positive answer. The Sun (if I take it as the man's co-ruler) is applying to a semisquare to Venus but will form a quintile to the Ascendent prior to that, should I take the aspect to the Asc in consideration or go straightly to the aspect to venus?

Overall, it seems to me there may be some luck involved, it may be something very small that may come my way thans to the help of someone else (Moon?). Correct or wrong?

Thank you!

Minderwiz

Hi Ronia,

I have 29 degrees 30 minutes of Taurus rising fopr this chart, so this is very much a late degree chart. Personally I wouldn't read for this chart, a small error in your timing or in where you are compared to the co-ordinates listed in the program might well tip the Ascendant into Gemini.

I know Dave has a thing about accuracy and claims that modern ephemerides are far more accurate than seventeenth century ones, which may well be true. However the greatest source of error is in both the timing done for the event (be it natal or a horary) and the geographical location used by the program that performs the calculation. compared to where you actually are. In total these may be quite small but they are not insignificant.

Sofia, like any large city covers several minutes of arc from one side to the other. That can usually be ignored but when you are so near to a sign boundary, coupled with even a small error in timing (for example your clock is 1 minutes slow) and the Ascendant is wrongly placed.

I'd follow the old rule and need at minimum 2 degrees and preferably 3 rising at the beginning of a sign and at least 28 degrees (but prefrably 27) rising at the other end.

The best thing to do in such circumstances is either wait till later in the day, or try again the following day.

In answer to your other questions, No, biquintiles are not really an acceptable applying aspect, we need something much stronger, which is why the major aspects are used. Lilly was perfectly award of minor aspects and even mentions them in his Book III on natal Astrology but he never uses them in Horary. The same goes for the other minor aspects - they are at best clutching at straws and at worst insignificant in a Horary reading.

Ronia

Hm, no, the chart had an Ascendant in the middle of Taurus... Weird. I'll try next month again. :) THanks for the clarification on minor aspects, I hope I got the rulers and the Moon carrying light correctly - as a learning exercise, it's the first time I see the "carrying light" thing!

Barleywine

Horary Success - Lost Ring Found

This isn't a horary question but rather a report of horary success. A couple of weeks ago we went away and when we returned I discovered that my heirloom ring (maternal grandfather's ring) was missing. I thought maybe I had left it at the hotel. But then I remembered deciding not to wear it since my finger was swollen, so we were pretty sure I didn't take it along. (Although I didn't put it in its customary drawer when I took it off.)

I spent a few days turning out all the drawers and looking under everything I could think of, to no avail. So yesterday it occurred to me to try a horary chart. I used the time that the idea crossed my mind as the time of the question. According to my reference books, jewelry is ruled by Venus and is associated with the 5th House. I couldn't find any obvious mention of "maternal grandfather's valuables" unless it would be the 2nd House since the mother's father is indicated by the 1st House. In the chart, Venus is located in the 12th house, intercepted in Aries. Pisces is on the cusp of the 12th. Venus is disposited by Mars in Virgo in the 5th House and Mars is disposited by Mercury in Pisces in the 11th House. Venus and Mars are in close quincunx. The 2nd House ruler, Mercury, is closely opposed Mars. The 5th House ruler, Sun, is in early Pisces in the 11th House.

The condition of Venus led me to believe the ring was in a closet or drawer, and that it was doubly hidden considering the interception. I also figured that it was up off the floor. First I went back through all of the luggage we took and all of the likely drawers, then I started on the closets. Knowing my penchant for hiding valuables when I leave, I looked under and inside all my hats on the top shelves (thinking Aries), then I started looking in the pockets of all the winter coats I may have been considering taking on the trip. I finally found the ring in the pocket of a winter vest.

What happened was I had the vest on as we were getting ready to leave, then decided to wear something different instead. At the same time I took the ring off and absent-mindedly put it in its case and stuck that in the vest pocket. We were rushing around trying to get out the door so I didn't put it back where it belonged. Then I took off the vest and hung it in a closet. I never thought about the ring again until a few days after we got back.

After I did the chart and figured out where to focus my search, it took me only an hour to locate the ring. I probably would not have found it otherwise until next winter. This was an interesting case study, and fortunately I didn't have to get any deeper into the chart analysis.

Minderwiz

That's a great account and isn't it such a good feeling when the chart works out :)

Barleywine

That's a great account and isn't it such a good feeling when the chart works out :)

I was thrilled, both with the astrology and with getting the ring back. I neglected to mention that Venus ruled the Taurus Ascendant and the Part of Fortune was in Taurus and angular, so I had no doubt the ring would turn up

I was also fascinated with the secondary undercurrents in the chart, even though I didn't delve deeply enough to see if they played a part in the outcome. As I said, my mother's father was represented by the 1st House (4th from the 10th) and his moveable possessions (of which the ring was a valuable one) by the 2nd House . The 5th House would have been connected with the maternal grandfather's jewelry, and the ruler of the 5th was the Sun in the 11th House. The ring was a token of appreciation and recognition that he received from his company when he retired. It came to me as an inheritance, and the ruler of the 8th House, Jupiter, was also in Taurus in the 12th, sitting just above the Ascendant, sextile to the Sun and also dispositing it. Perhaps, like the One Ring, this one just willed itself to be found :)

Ronia

I have a question: which house would signify a meeting or a date? Not a relationship but just a first meeting or a possible date? Thank you.

And another one: how to read the chart if the significator is the same for the person and the question?

Barleywine

I have a question: which house would signify a meeting or a date? Not a relationship but just a first meeting or a possible date? Thank you.

And another one: how to read the chart if the significator is the same for the person and the question?

Casual interpersonal meetings and "possible first dates" would seem to be a 5th House "affair" (pun fully intended :))

I never thought about your second point. I would probably try to carefully think through the question to see if it in fact has an "outlet" in one of the other houses. If not, I might use a method other than horary to explore it. Others with more horary experience can probably give you a better answer.

Minderwiz

I'm just emerging from a 3 day bug, :(

On the date, I'd agree with Barleywine, unless the question is focussed on a the person who is being 'dated'

For example, 'Will the date be a success?' is fifth house

Will I get on with X when we go on our date? is seventh house - it's about another person, rather than the activity. Note that this would not be a relationship question so there's no use of the Sun and Venus as secondary significators

On the issue of the same significator - I'm assuming here you mean a situation something like, a question about the querent's hobby of jewellery design has a Gemini Ascendant and Virgo on the cusp of the fifth house (dealing with hobbies)

- Use the exaltation planet for the sign in question, though that's not always possible (neither Gemini or Virgo have an exaltation planet)

- Use a planet that's in the quesited's house, in the example above you see that Mars is in Virgo in the fifth, so you could use that as the significator of the hobby

- use a natural significator of the thing quesited, for example Venus for jewellery or indeed hobbies and fun.

Barleywine

On the issue of the same significator - I'm assuming here you mean a situation something like, a question about the querent's hobby of jewellery design has a Gemini Ascendant and Virgo on the cusp of the fifth house (dealing with hobbies)

- Use the exaltation planet for the sign in question, though that's not always possible (neither Gemini or Virgo have an exaltation planet)

- Use a planet that's in the quesited's house, in the example above you see that Mars is in Virgo in the fifth, so you could use that as the significator of the hobby

- use a natural significator of the thing quesited, for example Venus for jewellery or indeed hobbies and fun.

Hope you're feeling better. Somehow I had the notion that Ronia is talking about a situation where the querent and the quesited would be represented by the same house. Can't think of an example question off-hand, but I suppose it could be possible.