professional photos

Lady Indigo

Maybe this is kind of a silly question, but the one major thing I think my site is lacking is an actual photograph of myself. The thing is, I don't take a lot of pictures. I'm a heavier lady, I'm not a fan of makeup, and I tend to get a bit self-conscious in general with that sort of thing. Do I need to get professional photos taken? Is there a certain kind of look I should be going for? Curious as to your opinions.

Sulis

I think it's nice to have a photo of you there somewhere for prospective clients to be able to see who they're dealing with. I don't generally like pictures of me either but I've got one on my site that we took on Glastonbury Tor a couple of years ago.

Nickigirl

A true professional can do great things to get good lighting and good angles and take photos you'll really love. But make sure you see their portfolio before choosing, and that they'll take the time to talk to you about what your vision is, what you hope the photo to be.
Also, I recommend having a professional makeup artist do your makeup before your session. If you don't usually wear makeup, ask for a natural look, and let them know it's for a photo shoot!
So, I say go for it!

Shade

I agree with all of the above. So many Tarot sites have pictures of angels and fairies but none of the actual reader. A good headshot is a must-have, it helps the clients know they can trust you. Professional photography is best but if that's out of your budget have a friend with a good digital camera take a LOT of pictures (bare minimum 25) and change up the light and your expression so you have a plethora to choose from. Photos are so hard because they often leave us thinking "Do I really look like that?" The trick to finding a good one is to take a LOT of them.

tarotbear

You might also find it best to have a lot of candid shots taken and not a lot of 'posed' shots. Posed shots are great for certain things, but how many people stand around with a rose in their left hand or other silly props?

What you might consider is doing a reading (real or otherwise) for someone and let the photographer take photos of you doing the reading (but not include the other person). That way, you are concentrating on what you do best, not 'Can you lift your right eyebrow and tilt your head to the left side?' They can take close-ups without you being totally aware of 'posing.' Posing looks 'posed.' Not everyone can look deeply into the camera lens as I can and feel comfortable.

bigcaat

I agree with TarotBear.

Get someone to take a nice shot of you where you look natural, especially if you are smiling and looking personable.

First of all, I'm guessing that other people don't think you look nearly as heavy as *you* think you look. Second of all, someone with a little extra weight on her who has a warm smile, is so much more attractive than a skinny-mini with a look of 'I'm hot spit' on her face.

Just get someone to capture 'the real you' and I bet people will be flocking to your website. :)

Warmly,
Caat

Grizabella

I certainly empathize with you, Lady Indigo. I don't like the way I look, either, even though I've lost 50 pounds. But prospective clients are attracted to different types of people. For instance, if I were to see an ad by a reader who had Glamour Shots on their literature or ad, I wouldn't feel any potential rapport with them and wouldn't choose them as a reader. However, someone who looked ordinary, probably up there in years, who didn't wear a lot of makeup (if any at all) or have their hair professionally done, etc. would be the one I'd choose. We never know what a prospective client is going to find appealing. Maybe you'll appeal to them because you look like their dear old Aunt Maude, plump and down-to-earth and unpretentious, who was always their rock in times of need. You don't know. Just be yourself and be happy in your own skin. That inspires confidence in all who see you. :)

bigcaat

I was part of a thread on Google+ a few months back. Someone had posted pictures of 3 women. The first was actress skinny. The next was a normal not heavy, not skinny woman, and the third was a little on the plump side, maybe like Adele or a little thinner.

The question was asked, 'who is the most attractive?' I, as a woman, identified with the middle woman, but thought for sure every man would pick the actress skinny woman. To may shock and surprise, an overwhelming number of them chose the third model. The one *I* described as a bit plump.

It made me realize how, as women, our body images are really skewed. Now, I don't know what the OP looks like and I'm not saying that people who are seriously overweight don't know it, but since I saw that thread, I have more started to question how we, as women, view ourselves.

When my husband asked, 'Which one would you want to look like?" I, of course, said the pencil thin actress. After seeing all the responses, I have had to ask myself, "Why?" And just how skewed *is* our perception of ourselves?

Again, there's no doubt that people who are at an unhealthy weight, you want them to understand and lose weight, but by the same token, maybe we need to ask ourselves, "how does what I see in the mirror differ from what other people see when they look at me?"

Just one of those "hmmmm...." things. :)

C.

Gia

I was part of a thread on Google+ a few months back. Someone had posted pictures of 3 women. The first was actress skinny. The next was a normal not heavy, not skinny woman, and the third was a little on the plump side, maybe like Adele or a little thinner.

The question was asked, 'who is the most attractive?' I, as a woman, identified with the middle woman, but thought for sure every man would pick the actress skinny woman. To may shock and surprise, an overwhelming number of them chose the third model. The one *I* described as a bit plump.

It made me realize how, as women, our body images are really skewed. Now, I don't know what the OP looks like and I'm not saying that people who are seriously overweight don't know it, but since I saw that thread, I have more started to question how we, as women, view ourselves.

When my husband asked, 'Which one would you want to look like?" I, of course, said the pencil thin actress. After seeing all the responses, I have had to ask myself, "Why?" And just how skewed *is* our perception of ourselves?

Again, there's no doubt that people who are at an unhealthy weight, you want them to understand and lose weight, but by the same token, maybe we need to ask ourselves, "how does what I see in the mirror differ from what other people see when they look at me?"

Just one of those "hmmmm...." things. :)

C.

:::::Standing and applauding:::::
Nicely done!

celticnoodle

Just be yourself and be happy in your own skin. That inspires confidence in all who see you. :)

I think Griz hit it on the mark. just be yourself and be happy in your own skin. whether you have a professional picture taken or it is from a picture that a friend of yours has taken, it should always be one that just shows you for who you are. if you are not a make up kind of gal, then don't have one taken with a lot of makeup on. it won't be 'you'. surely, you can find a picture or have one taken where you are happy and smiling and look great.

I truly think people would relate better to you if your picture is a true one of you. if you go and have your hair all done up and makeup done professionally and use one like that, then you meet a client in person to read for them and you are quite 'different' looking then the picture, they may spend more time wondering if you are the same person then to the reading you are doing for them.