trumps relation with the planets/signs

kwaw

there was a standard historical, "natural", ordering of the planets, based on the speed of their movement or change in the sky:

(Earth, the Sphere of the Elements - 10)
Moon -9
Mercury - 8
Venus - 7
Sun - 6
Mars -5
Jupiter - 4
Saturn - 3
(Sphere of the Fixed Stars (as opposed to the "Moving Stars", the Planets) - 2)
(First Mover, Empyrean, God - 1)

. . . the system shows the apparent distance from Earth, based on the speed of movement in the sky. I'm almost certain that any textual tradition coming from a European or Middle Eastern background knows this logical order.

The numbering was also taken the other way, from inside out rather than outside in, hence
10th or 1st
9th or 2nd
8th or 3rd etc.,

It is the ordering of the earliest of the known SY recensions. There are three extent recensions, known as the Short, the Long and the Saadia, that have been recognised since the 10th century. There is an extent 10th century manuscript of the long version [Vatican Library (Cat. Assemani)299(8), fols.66a-71 b), the 1263 Baghdad copy of the Saadia Gaons text and commentary originally written in 931 [Oxford, Bodleian Library Pococke 256 (Cat. Neubauer 1533)] was the oldest extent copy of the Saadia known until the discovery in the 20th century of the 10/11th century copy of the same [The Geniza Scroll, Cambridge University Library, Taylor-Schechter K21/56 + Glass 32/5 + Glass 12/813]. These are the oldest extent manuscript copies of the Long and Saadia recensions and include the attributions of the double letters to the planets in chaldean order. While the letter to planet attribution is not present in most extent short versions the order as infered from para 62 [Hayman] is also extent in at least two short version manuscripts, including the oldest extent [Param 2784.14 (Bibliotheca Palatina 2784/14). De Rossi 1390, fols.36b-38b. 1286]. Manuscripts 'A', 'C', 'Z' and 'K' in Hayman.

Sefer Yesira : 41 [Gruenwald]

Saadia [Manuscripts C and Z Hayman]:
1 He made Bet King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Saturn in the universe, the Sabbath in the year, and the mouth in the soul.
2 He made Gimel King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Jupiter in the universe, Sunday in the year, and the right eye of the soul.
3. He made Dalet King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Mars in the universe, Monday in the year, and the left eye of the soul.
4. He made Kaf King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Sun in the universe, Tuesday in the year, and the right nostril of the soul.
5. He made Peh King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Venus in the universe, Wednesday in the year, and the left nostril of the soul.
6. He made Resh King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Mercury in the universe, Thursday in the year, and the right ear of the soul.
7. He made Tav King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Moon in the universe, Friday in the year, and the left ear of the soul.

Long [Manuscript A Hayman]
1 He made Bet King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Saturn in the universe, the Sabbath in the year, and the mouth in the soul.
2 He made Gimel King and bound to it a crown and combined one with another, and formed of it: Jupiter in the universe, Sunday in the year, and the right eye of the soul.
3. He made Dalet King and bound to it a crown, and formed of it: Mars in the universe, Monday in the year, and the left eye of the soul.
4. He made Kaf King and bound to it a crown, and formed of it: Sun in the universe, Tuesday in the year, and the right nostril of the soul.
5. He made Peh King and bound to it a crown, and formed of it: Venus in the universe, Wednesday in the year, and the left nostril of the soul.
6. He made Resh King and bound to it a crown, and formed of it: Mercury in the universe, Thursday in the year, and the right ear of the soul.
7. He made Tav King and bound to it a crown, and formed of it: Moon in the universe, Friday in the year, and the left ear of the soul.

Sefer Yesirah : 62 [Gruenwald]

Manuscript K [Hayman] Short recension {does not appear in majority of short version manuscripts, but does in this the earliest extent manuscript of the short recension}:
2: Saturn, Sabbath, the mouth. --- Jupiter, Sunday, right eye. --- Mars, Monday, left eye. --- The Sun, Tuesday, right nostril. --- Venus, Wednesday, left nostril. --- Mercury, Thursday, right ear. ---Moon, Friday, left ear: these are Bet, Gimel, Dalet, Kaf, Peh, Resh and Tav.

Manuscript A [Hayman] Long recension:
Saturn, Sabbath, the mouth. --- Jupiter, Sunday, right eye. --- Mars, Monday, left eye. --- The Sun, Tuesday, right nostril. --- Venus, Wednesday, left nostril. --- Mercury, Thursday, right ear. ---Moon, Friday, left ear: these are Bet, Gimel, Dalet, Kaf, Peh, Resh and Tav.

Manuscript C [Hayman] Saadia recension
Saturn, Sabbath, the mouth. --- Jupiter, Sunday, right eye. --- Mars, Monday, left eye. --- The Sun, Tuesday, right nostril. --- Venus, Wednesday, left nostril. --- Mercury, Thursday, right ear. ---Moon, Friday, left ear: these are Bet, Gimel, Dalet, Kaf, Peh, Resh and Tav.

The earliest extent manuscripts of the SY in all three recensions therefore include planet to letter attributions, and they are in the Chaldean order.

However, confusion sets in early on; Shabbetai Donnolo in one of the earliest of the commentaries on the SY is aware of discrepancies and "expressed the necessity of correcting the aberrant contents of SY at this point" [Hayman].

In the early manuscripts of the SY the chaldean order is associated with the days, instead of the planetary hours which result in the planetary order of days, and it is this apparent inconsistency with the accepted relationship of the Chaldean order to the planetary hours and days of the week which seems to be at the root of all the confusion.

In the earliest extent manuscripts of both the short and long version [manuscripts K and A in prior post] we find:

para 42 and 43a:

Short version [K] And with them were carved out seven firmaments, seven earths, seven hours and seven times. Therefore he loved the seventh under heaven.

These are the seven planets in the universe: Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars. And the days in the years: the seven days of creation. And the seven apertures in mankind: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, and the mouth.

Long version [A] And with them were carved out seven firmaments, seven earths, seven hours and seven days. Therefore he loved the seventh above everything under heaven.

These are the seven planets in the universe: Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars. And the seven days: the seven days of creation. And the seven apertures in mankind: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, and the mouth.

Hayman writes [p.143]:

"Despite the fact that he was working with a defective printed text of SY...Soloman Ganz has correctly observed that the author of SY in pp 41 and 44 has "connected the seven planets in the natural order Saturn Jupiter Mars Sun Venus Mercury Moon with the first seven days instead of the first hours of creation." Consequently, 42 and 43a with their reference to the "seven hours" and the order Sun Venus Mercury Moon Saturn Jupiter Mars must be "the gloss of an editor who wished to reconsile the theory of the Book of Creation with the accepted theory of the planetary week". So the later editor "mentions the seven hours and changes the sequence Saturn Jupiter Mars Sun Venus Mercury Moon into the sequence Sun Venus Mercury Moon Saturn Jupiter Mars to correspond with the first seven hours of the first day of the week".

Judah Ha-Levi retains the Chaldean order commencing with Saturn but gives days to correspond with accepted planetary week: 'In the year: Sabbath, Thursday, Tuesday, Sunday, Friday, Wednesday, Monday" (Kuzari 4:25, row F in table 33 on p.179 of Kaplan). As pointed out by Ross Sheirat Yosef 10a gives planetary order according to the planetary week (saturday, saturn; sunday, sun; monday, moon; tuesday, mars; wednesday, mercury; thursday, jupiter; friday, venus - row G, table 33 on p.179 Kaplan).

So while it is true there is confusion in the very earliest manuscripts of the SY, it is also clear that the basis is the chaldean order with confusion specifically related to the relationship between the planetary hours and days of the week.

Kwaw
Sefer Yetzira Aryeh Kaplan (Weiser Books 1997)
Sefer Yesira A. Peter Hayman (Mohr Siebeck 2004)

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks for the extensive quotes, kwas!

I don't have Kaplan on hand, I was just going from -apparently faulty - memory. The majority and best versions clearly go by the natural or chaldean order without a change.

kwaw

In the earliest extent manuscripts of both the short and long version [manuscripts K and A in prior post] we find:

para 42 and 43a:

Short version [K] And with them were carved out seven firmaments, seven earths, seven hours and seven times. Therefore he loved the seventh under heaven.

These are the seven planets in the universe: Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars. And the days in the years: the seven days of creation. And the seven apertures in mankind: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, and the mouth.

Long version [A] And with them were carved out seven firmaments, seven earths, seven hours and seven days. Therefore he loved the seventh above everything under heaven.

These are the seven planets in the universe: Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars. And the seven days: the seven days of creation. And the seven apertures in mankind: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, and the mouth.

Perhaps having only a partial text, this part of the SY led Kircher to his ordering of the planets:

Beit - Sun
Gimel - Venus
Daleth - Mercury
Kaph - Luna
Peh - Saturn
Resh - Jupiter
Tau - Mars

This is still the Chaldean order, i.e., that of the planetary hours, but starting from the first 7 planetary hours [counting from sunrise] of the first day of creation - that is, the first seven hours from sunrise of Sunday (however, technically speaking, as the Jewish day runs from Sunset to Sunrise, the first hours of creation should bethe first seven hours from Sunset on Saturday!?).

Since the late 19th century the attributions of the Gra [18th century] have become the standard in Jewish Kabbalah:

Beit - Moon
Gimel - Mars
Daleth - Sun
Kaph - Venus
Peh - Mercury
Resh - Saturn
Tau - Jupiter

The agenda behind Gra's redaction was to bring the SY into line with the Zohar and the teachings of the Ari, to give precedence to holy scriptures and teachings over 'pagan' astrology, and in his wider work to remove or conceal any traces of historical authority that might support the kabbalistic model of the Shabbateans (which is one that also informs to an extent some branches of the Western Esoteric Tradition).

These are the attributions used in some 20th century Spanish decks. Decker/Dummet suggest the source for the attributions of these Spanish decks is Westcott's essay on the 'Isiac Tablet of Bembo' in which he uses the Gra attributions.* They do not give their reasons for this suggestion. However, Westcott gave a lecture on this to the Theosophical Society, and the essay was distributed through the theosophical society.

On the 1st of January 1908 the formation of the Order of Christian Mystics was announced. The Order was co-founded in Philadelphia in the USA by two Theosophists, Dr. Frank Homer Curtiss and Mrs. Harriette Augusta Curtiss. They published two volumes on the tarot, The Key to the Universe and The Key of Destiny, that use the Gra attributions.

There are other more modern redactions, such as that of Jim Eshelman for example, who taking the role of a modern day Gra brings it into line with another sacred text (Liber Al) and the teachings of the holy Ali. Ironic that the Gra, in seeking to undermine Shabbatean authorities, becomes himself an 'authority' for future redactionists with an arguably shabbatean bent ;)

Kwaw
Sefer Yetzira Aryeh Kaplan (Weiser Books 1997)
Sefer Yesira A. Peter Hayman (Mohr Siebeck 2004)

* "The dogmas of the Sepher Yetzirah also form a perfect Tarot. The Three Mothers, which are: - Aleph, Air, the Firmament, the Holy Spirit. The Human Respiration, the Chest. 13. Mem, Water, te Earth, the Belly, the Womb. 21. Shin, Fire, the Heavens of Stars and Suns, the Brain, the Head. These are represented by the Centre of the Isiac Tablet. The seven doubles which correspond to the planets, and the median part of the Isiac Tablet: - 2, Beth, Luna, Nature; 3, Ghimel, Mars, Force; 4, Daleth, Sun, Fertility; 11, Kaph, Venus, Generation; 17, Pe, Mercury, Wisdom; 20, Resh, Saturn, Peace; 22, or O, Tau, Jupiter, Beauty, and the Twelve Single, corresponding to the Zodiacal signs, and the Upper Region of the Isiac Tablet . . ." The Isiac Tablet of Bembo by William Wynn Westcott.

Richard

......Did I misunderstand you?
No. 'Twas my ignorance. I really did not know that the Ptolemaic ordering (consistent with Sephiroth 3 through 9) was considered standard. Thank you for clearing that up! However, now I am having to reevaluate my confidence in the GD's double letter correlations. :(

Teheuti

No. 'Twas my ignorance. I really did not know that the Ptolemaic ordering (consistent with Sephiroth 3 through 9) was considered standard. Thank you for clearing that up! However, now I am having to reevaluate my confidence in the GD's double letter correlations. :(
If you are willing to go with Strength-8-Leo and Justice-11-Libra, then why not continue with revising the planets to fit better with the Tarot images. I can see Mackenzie saying, since there are different systems of planetary correspondence, why don't I come up with my own. Personally, I like his solution - Tarot-wise.

Richard

If you are willing to go with Strength-8-Leo and Justice-11-Libra, then why not continue with revising the planets to fit better with the Tarot images. I can see Mackenzie saying, since there are different systems of planetary correspondence, why don't I come up with my own. Personally, I like his solution - Tarot-wise.
Of course, that approach more-or-less justifies the usual GD planetary correspondences, whether or not it agrees with any version of the SY. I haven't been able to come up with anything that seems more satisfactory.

I can certainly go along with the Strength and Justice interchange (and even, reluctantly, with the corresponding switch of Star and Emperor by Crowley.) The Planets themselves are the domain for wiser minds than mine.

Mercurius

Carlo Suarès & Revived Tarot

I can see Mackenzie saying, since there are different systems of planetary correspondence, why don't I come up with my own. Personally, I like his solution - Tarot-wise.

Interestingly, an approach that dismisses the G D as "Victorian Englishmen who did their best to ignore the Jewish sources" (http://www.psyche.com/psyche/tarot/RevivedTarot/index.html), accepts the Cipher Manuscript's correspondences of planet and trump, but then uses the Chaldean-order versions of the Sepher Yetzirah to realign the trumps with respect to the Hebrew letters:
World - Saturn - Beth - Trump I
Wheel - Jupiter - Gimel - Trump II
Tower - Mars - Daleth - Trump III
Sun - Sun - Kaph - Trump X
Empress - Venus - Peh - Trump XVI
Juggler - Mercury - Resh - Trump XIX
Papess - Moon - Tau - Trump XXI
This system retains the Fool at Aleph and therefore reorders the planetary cards & creates a revived order, rescuing or restoring the "true" tarot. It's ironic that it actively dismisses the one group that seems to have got closest to this true order and recognized which card went with which planet, and uses the RWS deck to illustrate the site:
There is no zero key.
The Magicians were wrong.
Seven keys are still hidden in plain sight.
Twenty-two in two directions open the universe.
The Tarot is an encrypted key to the alphabet of creation.