All Purpose Compass Spread: Career

MaineGirl117

Q: What can you tell me about my career path and application process?

Brief background: I am currently employed, though I'm actively looking for another more meaningful position outside of the agency I work for. I've recently found a job posting that threw me for a loop because it incorportates many aspirations that I had while I was in college, and it is also in a state I'd like to live in, and close to some family.

Originally posted by GlassOwl here

Ludy Lescot - no reversals

----6----
---------
3--1/2--4
---------
----5----

1. Question or Current Situation
Where you find yourself presently. The heart of the matter.: 3 of Pentacles
Image here

“Art has a price, but cannot be measured in money.”

An artist sits in front of a canvas painting the traditional card from RWS. He has mixing bowls and a compass on the floor around him. Three coins spill from a pouch not far from where he sits. Behind him can be seen a black cat slinking around the corner towards the viewer.

This card symbolizes to me the need to work within a group that is supportive and community based. This is an apprentice card, pointing to the fact that I’m looking towards ‘restarting’ my career in a different field than where I am currently. There is also the curious coincidence that the job I just applied to has 3 job openings posted.

2. The Weather
Forces or energies bearing down on the situation presently, affecting it for better or worse. (This card crosses card 1.) Hierophant
Image here

“Always seek a teacher. Leave him with due respect when you are ready to move on. Be grateful for what he left you even when you understand that you can never be like him.”

The Hierophant sits upon his throne, eyes closed and holding a large book in front of him. On the cover of the book are the Sun and Moon symbols, surrounded by a lemiscate of glowing yellow light. Below the book is an urn burning with fire.

This is an interesting card to be placed in opposition of the 3/pent. I think in many ways this is representing not only the years that I’ve spent in college learning the ‘doctrines’ of my teachers, but also the need to strike out or away from ‘the church’ to assimilate my own ideas.

I’m also struck by this passage in Mary K. Greer’s Who are you in Tarot? “There are also four ways to teach or learn anything (hearing, doing, reading words, and seeing pictures or diagrams). You are the fifth element, the one who understands. You can adapt your teaching to the needs of those you teach.” This new job that I’ve applied for is an applied sciences position that has a teaching/presentation element to it that is very appealing to me. It has a lot of laboratory components to it including analysis of data whose results become applied actions to correct environmental conditions. Not only is this card reflecting on the past, but I feel it is also foreshadowing this job opportunity in the future to correct or apply past learning within my own discipline.

3. Recent Past
Where you were before. The foundation or root. King of Cups
Image here

“Wisdom or power? Do not fall victim to deceit: they are worth nothing. Ask yourself who you are and listen to your emotions”

The King of Cups sits on his throne holding a distillation flask containing the ‘blood of life’ (as I see it). He is glancing in the direction of a large gold cup on a pedestal. Behind him are stained glass windows showing a man and woman holding hands. His feet rest on half a metal world globe. On his armrest perches an owl.

In the past I was intensely focused on ‘rising to power’ or a position of authority. In college this manifested more into being a lead researcher or heading up a department that coordinated research efforts for others. Even in my current position before looking into other agencies I had thoughts of rising through the ranks to become some kind of administrator or the like. Having reflected recently on these aspirations, I have changed my focus significantly towards working more in a group setting, being part of a whole instead of a ‘stand out achiever’ (though this is still possible it would seem quite egotistical if I thought I was going to get anywhere without the help of others). Now I choose ‘Wisdom’.

This card also represents putting a lot of creative aspirations on the back burner to deal with more ‘kingly’ duties, something he does because it’s practical, but he feels somewhat slighted and robbed of this creative expression, It doesn’t sit well with him, and it doesn’t sit well with me either. Having to focus on practical money making careers just to get by leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. This card is looking towards the 3/pent & Hierophant and I can see where this easily ties into the description of the 3/pent. Work or Art cannot be based on the material value and wealth it provides, it must be deeply rooted in a love or passion for the art first. By taking this approach, the work then becomes priceless. Money can’t buy happiness in other words.

4. Potential Developments
What can be seen in the horizon. This is the direction the situation is heading towards and may serve as a warning. Page of Pentacles
Image here

“Bring the world into your books. Let what you write embrace the world and not remain within the walls of your home.”

An apprentice sits in a library. In front of him is a book, and he is making notations and reading by candlelight. Tools of his trade are arranged around him. The compass and the globe appear again (3/pent & King/cups).

Don’t I just love seeing this card here! When I threw the cards, this card showed up reversed, looking again towards the 3/pent. I don’t read reversals, but I do look at how the cards orient themselves and this one gives me a lot of confidence that I’ll be getting this job I applied for and will find opportunities to share what I know or have learned through means of these presentations and possible future publications. It also leads me to believe that I’ll really find my calling in this profession and decide to settle there and ‘move through the ranks of the Court Cards’ as the pentacles have a lot of staying power in regards to their profession. This is a suit deeply involved in the environment and nature, which has always been a passion of mine and in which I would gladly become an advocate for.

5. A Step Backwards: Forget This
What holds you back or weighs you down. Reduce, discard, or avoid this negative energy to make the best of your situation. Fool
Image here

“I met a mad and powerful spirit during my travels. I heard his music play for me. I continued along my path because I was not ready to lose myself forever.”

A boy stands in the middle of a path, playing a wooden flute which calls to the mice traveling along the path behind him. Tied by a string to his belt loop is a chicken. He is also looking in the direction of the Page/Pentacles.

I seriously have to laugh at this card when I saw it come up. I read it in two ways. The first, what I have to forget, is this chicken business that I find myself working in - quite literally. When I first got this job, I thought it would be my ‘Swan Song’ - a bit of salvation after struggling so long to become established in an actual career. It became evident after only a few months that this job/agency wasn’t where I wanted to hang my hat.

On the other hand, I interpret this card as my fear of feeling foolish, inconsequential, not good enough for the position I’ve applied for. It’s been some 7 years (good golly time flies!) since I graduated from college and I have not worked in this field for some time. I have to admit first that I know nothing in order to open myself to the learning process. This can also be a warning to not allow pride to get in my way. Through humility (admitting that I don’t know or have to relearn much in my field) I can put myself fully into the role as student (page/pent).

If I consider the Fool as the Wanderer, this would make sense and connect with my comments on the Page of Pentacles. I’ve been ‘wandering’ from job to job (not really because I’ve wanted to) and haven’t found a place to settle. This is also at the forefront of my mind. Settling down somewhere, buying a home etc. In this position, the Fool then would encourage me to stop wandering, find a place to settle, lay down some roots. Combining with the Hierophant card above I see this as establishing traditions, finding a place amongst a whole. Yes, this is conformity in a sense, but wanting a home, family, career is basically living the ‘American’ dream (not exclusively American, but just coining a phrase here :) ), and I have to admit I’m not exempt in this desire.

6. A Step Forward: Remember This
What motivates you to grow and provides you with a sense of purpose. Nurture and embrace this positive energy to make the best of your situation. Justice
Image here

“The world is unjust. Do you know how to be just? Then the rest of the world can be mud.”

A woman leans against a pillar in the middle of swampland. Her left hand in resting against her heart, and in her right hand she holds the scales of justice, though they are somewhat tilted and not even. Behind her is another pillar in shadows, a wheel stuck in the mud, two wolves traveling together, and in the far distance the peaks of a house or settlement. Also at her feet swims a snake”

I find this card a bit of poetic justice in it’s position. This is not the first time this card has come up for me in a career reading, and I believe it has undertones of the type of work that I do, mainly being involved with the government.

In relation to the Fool below, and passing through the 3/pent - Hierophant combo, I think this is pointing towards ‘correct action’ on my part in applying for this position. She IS looking in the direction of the Page!

The tilting scales say to me in this instance, that this job opportunity holds far more pros than it does cons. This opportunity also relates to the Hierophant in terms of ‘stewardship of natural resources’, again a proactive responsibility to future generations and maintaining balance in the environment which necessitates action. This job provides the means to actively participate in this process.

In sum, I feel like there are a lot of positive reinforcing cards that say that I’m on the correct path to finding a new job that will be rewarding in many ways. Whether this job application that I’ve recently submitted results in a job offer is not necessarily the point, as highlighted by the final card Justice. What is to come and what is to happen is ‘meant to be’. That is to say, wherever I land once I make the leap of faith, will be where I should be.

Anybody have any additional thoughts or insights into this draw? I welcome any further interpretations of these cards, even if they go against the conclusions I’ve drawn!

Many thanks in advance for your comments. :)

PS. I'm also curious if anybody else sees all these double (trio = family) images (3/pent Hierophant, Justice, even the Fool as a child) as a foreshadowing that I may find a love interest after moving for this job (IF i get the job). It's just something that struck me as an interesting possibility.