Tarot in Fiction

gregory

In another thread debra mentioned Charles Williams: The Greater Trumps. I finally got hold of a used copy and read it. It is BRILLIANT and as tarot as you can get. The characters LIVE the tarot.

HudsonGray

I finished reading this today

"Six-Gun Tarot -- Seems to be a steampunkish, magic-in-the-Old West (USA) novel by R.S. Belcher. Saw it on the shelves at Barnes and Nobel this ev-ening. Thumbed and scanned looking for tarot hooks but all I found was an immortal sherriff and the chapters are named for cards"

I got this one out of the library two days ago, it's not a bad book at all. Not really steampunk though, it's more occult. However the ONLY tarot connection in it is the chapter headings. Each chapter is named after a tarot card, and the whole focus on that chapter is the distilled meaning of that particular card. It does work, however anyone not knowing tarot won't make the connection.

The story was actually very good and not all that cliche. You have an angel guarding a lifeform that God couldn't kill when he made 'light' (it was living in the darkness) chained under a mountain in Nevada. A sheriff who's been hanged three times and didn't die. A deputy who's related to the Indian spirit Coyote. A kid who killed his father's murderer after the Civil War. A glass eye given to him by Chinamen who had transported it from a monastary in old China. A 'pirate queen' branch of the Lilith group of women. A sort of necromancer trying to keep dead people alive. A mayor who's got the gold tablets of the Mormons in his safekeeping, and a lot of other things going on, all in a town called Golgatha. Basically they have to save the world. I found it a satisfying story.

ValerieReikiLMT

Alayna Williams Dark Oracle and Rogue Oracle. They are fun. There is a third one coming out. The writer obviously reads tarot. :D

I just found "Dark Oracle" at our Library Used Bookstore. It happened to catch my eye as I was checking out, (it must have wanted me to see it..LOL), so of course I bought it and brought it home. :)

gregory

Helen Howell has two books out there.

I Know You Know for adults (which is definitely tarot) and Jumping At Shadows (for young people) - not sure whether tarot is in there.

BUT - can anyone tell me if the latter is available in any form other than kindle ? I want a REAL copy....

I can't find one anywhere - was it ever out in paper ? I had planned to buy both these in Australia (she is Australian) but couldn't find either one.

starlightexp

Andromeda Klein will always be my go to fun tarot read....

Cheiromancer

I just finished David Skibbins' 'The Hanged Man'. What a wonderful book! The amount of tarot related material had been decreasing since the debut novel, The Eight of Swords, and I almost gave it a pass. I'm glad I decided to give it a try. A very satisfying read, and a lot more stuff for tarot enthusiasts to think about. I hope another Tarot Card mystery is in the works: four books is too short for a series.

Cocobird55

I Know You Know is available in a paperback from Amazon. I have it, and it is from a small printer, but nicely produced. I don't think Jumping at Shadows ever came out in paper.

Helen Howell has two books out there.

I Know You Know for adults (which is definitely tarot) and Jumping At Shadows (for young people) - not sure whether tarot is in there.

BUT - can anyone tell me if the latter is available in any form other than kindle ? I want a REAL copy....

I can't find one anywhere - was it ever out in paper ? I had planned to buy both these in Australia (she is Australian) but couldn't find either one.

gregory

I Know You Know is available in a paperback from Amazon. I have it, and it is from a small printer, but nicely produced. I don't think Jumping at Shadows ever came out in paper.

Darn. Oh well....

bogiesan

Steve Hockensmith and Lisa Falco

Searched the forum and didn't see these mentioned.

Three novels in a series, probably more to come. He's the guy who wrote all those crazy zombie spinoffs of classics. She's apparently new at this writing stuff. You can find these trade paperbacks on the shelves of your local bookstore ( shop locally first!) or library or at any online bookseller. Competent and fun reading with a credible tarot hook I think you will find entertaining. I hope Falco writes her tarot guidebook, "Infinite Roads to Knowing", by Miss Chance, quoted often in the series, for Llewelyn; I'd buy it in a flash.

https://www.llewellyn.com/author.php?author_id=5649