Papus Tarot Decks

Lord Adonia

Can anybody identify this tarot deck? It looks like a Papus style deck and resemble the Cagliostro Tarot. I would imagine it was published in Europe perhaps France.

http://www.myoccultcircle.com/magical-current-of-the-nazis/

Also does anybody own the Tarot Divinatoire par le Dr. Papus? It was in 1992 reprinted as a deck titled Le Tarot Divinatoire by Éditions Dusserre in 1992. The Divinatory Tarot: The Key to Reading the Cards and the Fates by Papus contains this deck as illustrations.

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Tarot_divinatoire_par_le_Dr._Papus

http://pasteboardmasquerade.com/Reviews/historye.html

I read somewhere which I am not sure is true since I translated it from French was that Papus' family ordered a halt to this 1992 edition. I am not sure if this true.

Catmoon

It's a french version of a Tarot divinatoire par le Dr. Papus, whose huge borders had been trimmed!!!!!

Le Fanu

The Dusserre Papus is a deck I would love.

I wonder whether those cards linked are actually from this deck but with the large outer borders cropped? I would guess so. (ETA; cross posted with CatMoon)

The only other specifically Papus decks that I know of are the U.S Games Papus Tarot (not very faithful a reproduction) and the Brazilian Tarô Adivinhatorio published in São Paulo since (I think) the 60s or 70s and recently published in a new edition with new backs. See scan. I have a couple of copies of this one; an older one and the newer one.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 939

Lord Adonia

It's a french version of a Tarot divinatoire par le Dr. Papus, whose huge borders had been trimmed!!!!!

Correction: There is only one deck we are talking about:Tarot divinatoire par le Dr. Papus

Le Fanu

Isn't that the Dusserre version? Very HTF. I had a link somewhere of all the cards from this deck but we can't post links (and I can't find the site anymore!)

Lord Adonia

Do you know who the publisher is? And the official name of the first deck mentioned in the website discussing Nazism. It there a better link for samples of the first deck?

I stand corrected this is the same deck with borders cut on the website of Nazism. I wrongly thought they were two diferent decks.

Why anyone would trim the borders for a rare deck such as this is beyond me.

I am not sure if the 1992 French printed version had 22 or 78 cards.

Lord Adonia

Probably just cropped on the computer, no?

That is possible, I wish a publisher like Lo Scarbeo would pursue reprinting this deck, but I am not sure if there is issues with the rights to reprint this. Also there may be a low demand if reprinted, it might be lucky to get only 300 buyers since the market is flooded with too many artistic or made up superficial Tarots that lack true occult integrity.

This book by Papus has all 78 cards illustrated in black and white. At least I know how they look like and we are only talking about one deck.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Divinator...=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334921204&sr=1-6

Le Fanu

It is odd that it isn't available. Somebody should reissue it but it may well be - as you say - a copyright issue. Beautiful deck.

Cerulean

My only suggestion is copy the plates in your Divinatory Tarot, whatever versio

as the book was published with plates in black and white for putting on cardboard as a deck.

That seemed to be the intention of at least French publishers of the 19th century such as Lismon (Grand Etteilla,II) and early 20 th century Durville (Divinatory Tarot circa 1909 and later editions)...take the plates for your own study.

I did a black and white copy of paper cards an old French book for less than six dollars of 78 card illustrations for a personal copy. The Papus book circa 1920-30 that I have was older than the Edition Dangles or English Aeon book edition. But the resulting cards I made seemed similar to those republished in the later reprinted texts people can buy...and the 78 paper cutouts together stack lightly but well in a gauze bag.

Later I will find index cards or just a lamination sheet for my 'cards.'

Hope that helps.