Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Kgirl 
Citizen

Four of Cups reversed - nothing left to take for granted?

Would like some feedback on this card

I received Four of Cups reversed in a reading. It got me thinking that, since upright this card is very much about a person not being there for you emotionally or someone who takes things for granted, could the reverse mean that this person is moving on from that stasis.

In short, could the reversed Four of Cups mean (among many other things):

1. that the person is moving on from being indifferent

2. the person is ready to receive the cup on offer

3. the person can now appreciate the cup that is on offer; or

4. that the person now realises that what they took for granted is no longer there to ignore or take for granted? It's just gone and its too late. The cups are empty

Love to read anybody's thoughts
Kgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
nisaba 
Tarot-Tart

Or that they pour all their opportunities away.

Life is a holy moment, a brief flash of sentience in the sacred abyss.

Nisaba: Beautiful, and Fabulously Twisted.
nisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Kgirl 
Citizen

Oooh I like that alot!
Old 26-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
SA12 
Citizen

How perfect to find this thread! I was just going to post another on this card but I will add to this So I'm also curious about the 4 of cups reversed/ill dignified -- I had it ill dignified against a 6 of wands asking "how often does x think about this" ...so maybe this person is being too selfish to think about the situation?

Upright, I notice others have ascribed both apathy and "going inward"/meditation to this card...which kinda seems like a contradiction in terms.
SA12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Kgirl 
Citizen

Hi SA12 ... I struggle to see the reversed Four of Cups as positive or the opposite of the upright meaning.

The more I think it about it, the more I see how reversed the Cups all become empty? Even the Cups they have taken. Maybe its too much contemplation, too much time turning away whats on offer and finding nothing that sustains you. Perhaps thats too negative?
Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
SA12 
Citizen

I think it depends on the card(s) next to it. Much like the reversed four of swords that can suggest an end to 'rest', I think the reversed 4 of Cups can mean an end to apathy or introversion; the other cards, again, tell the tale of what might happen next.

In my case, the 4 of Cups was the principle card, dignified by an earth card to the left, but not getting along so well with the 6 of wands. At first glance I thought 'pouting and arrogant' because those are the negative qualities I'd give to these two cards. Now, though, I'm not so sure....
Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Amanda_04 
Citizen

I think all your options for this card's definition could work. I tend to see the reversal of this card more like your number two... The person becomes open and accepting of something outside of him or herself.

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing."
-Oscar Wilde
Amanda_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
MaineGirl117 
Building an inner mansion w/ imaginary blueprints

I could see the good in a 4/cups rx. What if the water is old, stagnant.... icky.

You can't pour something new into that cup until you dump it out! In that sense it could imply a sense of renewal.

In the case of the upright 4/cups.. maybe they're not interested in the extended cup because they've got enough to think about for the moment. They need to solve the riddle of the first three cups before they take on the next one. They could be taking things 'step by step'. In this case, the reversed could mean they're rushing to the finish line without having done the work needed to really appreciate (be emotionally gratified with) the end result!

True magic is neither black, nor white – it’s both because nature is both. Loving and cruel, all at the same time’. The Craft
MaineGirl117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
JadoreHauteCouture 
Citizen

I also agree with the meanings above... reversed 4 of cups can suggests that person has many new opportunities and friends are there for him but he decides to turn his back on them and be on his own... Its a card of disrespect and non-appreciation due to possible anger inside of person...

Old 05-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
SA12 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_04 View Post
I think all your options for this card's definition could work. I tend to see the reversal of this card more like your number two... The person becomes open and accepting of something outside of him or herself.
Hmmm, so then what do you make of the 4 of Cups + the 6 of Wands? If I take the four as positive in my scenario: i.e. 'how often does x think about me/what happened' -- what about the 6, which is all ill-dignified? Since selfishness doesn't seem likely to apply now, does this mean moving forward with some delay or that the other person (upon reflection via the 4) is too insecure at this point? Proud? or Does this six of wands blocked by cups almost lend itself to nostalgia (instead of riding forward in triumph, I imagine the man in the card looking back)?
Old 06-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today