Reading your own tarot!

Tarot by G

My readings for others are spot on always have been but for me they are just never any good or they don't make sense. I really feel like the tarot is telling me what I want to hear whether true or not :( and that's not good. My energy is obviously influencing the pick.

...... And for everybody else I do it's spot on:( so I guess you can't read for yourself right???????

Tarot by G

Sorry there are threads on this already mods can delete this thread if it's in the way:(

louiseb

My readings for others are spot on always have been but for me they are just never any good or they don't make sense. I really feel like the tarot is telling me what I want to hear whether true or not :( and that's not good. My energy is obviously influencing the pick.

...... And for everybody else I do it's spot on:( so I guess you can't read for yourself right???????

I went through a patch at one time where nothing made any sense. I soon realised that the question i was asking was in the wrong context, i realised that the confusion in my mind was coming out in the cards and i got a totally confused reading. after learning to relax before was i able to get a sensible reading lol.

Sulis

Sorry there are threads on this already mods can delete this thread if it's in the way:(

Hi gilokez,

Don't worry, on a forum that's been around as long as this one has and is as big as this one is there are past threads on every topic there is surrounding tarot... It's good when people ask questions, even if they've been asked before :).

Personally, I don't have any trouble reading tarot for myself but I know that a lot of people do - it's the objectivity thing, it's very easy to want a certain answer so you unconsciously look for the answers you want to see.
I find that when I'm reading for myself, actually knowing the situation helps me and I usually try to pretend that the reading is for someone else so if I think I'm being biased or unobjective I stop and ask myself 'if this reading was for someone I didn't know, what would I see in the cards?'.

It's a personal thing though - there are loads of readers who find reading for themselves to be very difficult and there are loads of readers who find that reading for themselves really helps them to get insights into their problems.

Yineth

Hello gilokez,

I have the same problem as you. It's definitely not easy to read for yourself compared to reading for others, but here's what I usually end up doing:

-I conduct a reading for myself with whatever query I have.
-I interpret the cards and record what I feel the cards are stating.
-I consult with a friend [Or post it in the Your Reading section of AT] and gain feedback from them on what they think the cards mean.

Sometimes I even have a friend or another individual conduct a reading for me based on the same question asked, but this is only on rare occasions. Overall it just helps to have a second set of eyes look over the cards with you and help you understand.

Good luck,
Yin

JadoreHauteCouture

i dont have problem reading cards for myself but however, i usually dont... i try to be independent and think with my own head... unless there are some serious issues i dont do spreads for myself...

Kitichi

I feel that I am very good about pulling the right cards for myself - they always seem to be spot-on IF I am asking a specific question about something that is of strong interest to me. I am not always so good at interpreting the cards correctly. :) I think this is a mix of me being a n00b and the fact that a person wants to hear the best thing possible, so I can fall into the trap of skewing my interpretation. I also don't seem to be good at non-specific readings for myself (like a daily draw).

Wish I knew why I seem to draw better with emotionally close topics - I'd pass tips along to you!

Scibility

When I can't remain neutral for myself, sometimes I pull a card on a free app (any will do) to sort of double check my perspective. Many people don't like apps, but they can be helpful if you're using them like this.

I also usually meditate a bit on the cards. Not sleeping with them, just maybe keeping the card you are working on out in plain sight, or nearby, and focusing on it. Even walk away and come back. Sometimes the interpretation becomes quite clear if you take time with it. It's not a quick and fast approach, but I guess neither is the process of self-analysis.

Hope that helps!

Narwhallove

When I can't remain neutral for myself, sometimes I pull a card on a free app (any will do) to sort of double check my perspective. Many people don't like apps, but they can be helpful if you're using them like this.

Hmm, that sounds good! Can you recommend an app?

When I read for myself, I consult all my books (78 Degrees, Eden Gray, etc.). I have to do this b/c if I'm particularly anxious about something, I have a tendency of getting a flash of the worst-case scenario for every card that isn't unambivalently cheerful, like the Sun or Magician. So I need the texts to reassure me and give me a broader POV. But I'm not sure if this qualifies as "advice" on what to do. Everyone could use a tarot buddy to read for the other, and I guess this is what the forums are good for.

I'm also scaling back to one to three card readings, so that nothing feels overly sprawling or complex for me. Those are the most successful for self readings so far. Celtic Crosses are a no-no for me.

tarotbear

Hello, gilokez!

I rarely read for myself unless I absolutely have to; I found I could manipulate the cards coming up to say what I wanted to hear. Also, I found it is very easy to give yourself the most positive reading possible when you are both Reader & Querent.

Trying to find someone to do a reading for me isn't any easier! But it is worth it. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.