Deirdre of the Sorrows - 3 - The Empress

shadowdancer

Here we see the 3rd consecutive card to show flowers blooming in the background. In this case the blooms are more prominent, and really add to the energy of life in abundance. Our Empress is a beautiful woman, yet she does not give the impression of being vain or egotistical of her beauty. We have a hint of her position through her head-dress as well as the sceptre and orb, but the general appearance is under stated. If she did not have these items, we would be totally unaware of her standing and position as Empress. A lady who has stature and position, yet at the same time is very approachable and at ease in simple surroundings. She has the symbol of fertility on the chaise lounge but she does not appear to be showing signs of pregnancy herself. The whole energy of this card is positive and harmonised. It is as if she has found a favourite retreat or serene space amongst the flowers, with the added backdrop of the mountain scene and river/lake. She really does make you feel as though you want to curl up at her feet or sit beside her to share in this feeling and atmosphere of being at one with nature. Whenever the Empress appears you just get the feeling that everything is okay, or will turn out for the better. It may not have the overt vibe or energy associated with success as depicted by other cards, but it is still there nevertheless. The type of success or achievement that does not necessarily come with a fanfare!

shadowdancer

In a reading:
I once had the Empress appear as a final card in a spread, with the issue being “what does spirit want you to know right now”. The other cards did indicate a sense of being isolated or alone with an issue, but this card allowed the reading to finish on a positive note. In this case our lady indicated to me some healing was needed on an emotional level, and I took the presence of the flowers to indicate a vibrational form of healing (flower therapy, colour therapy, Bach Flower therapy etc) might be appropriate. The Empress is always going to be there as a nurturer or shoulder to cry on should the need arise, and in this case I really felt her presence was cathartic. A reminder that we do not need to be alone during those times when we feel we at our most vulnerable. In this respect the fertility sign proved to me that she is there as a potential mother/guardian/carer for us all.