Deirdre of the Sorrows - Queen of Swords

shadowdancer

I have to say, if you ever asked this Queen the inane question of “Does my bum look big in this?” you may not like the answer you get! She will be blunt, honest and to the point.

Deirdre has her portrayed as sitting on a throne of ice. Do we need any other reminder that she is not going to be the emotional or comforting type as perhaps the Queen of Cups would be? Her presence may not always be welcome in a reading, but believe me if she has appeared it is worth sitting up and taking notice. You may need to hear something direct and unadorned right now.
Her hair has been drawn back in a dark and tight bun. Just think of how the old-style school ma’am looked and you will understand the symbolism. She will not find amusement in idle frivolity, particularly if she is trying to tell you something you need to be taking on board. The crown of icicles remind us that she is sharp minded. There is absolutely no point in trying to put one over on her – she will see through it in a flash. The two crossed swords over her chest are an interesting inclusion with regards the symbolism. How does this link with the 2 of swords itself? Does it show that there is no easy way to her heart – the swords bar any thought of entry? Does she keep her emotions hidden within for any particular reason? Could it remind you there is no way you will get her to open up emotionally, or any point in trying to get an emotional response to an issue?
If we take a look at her sword, we see it actually sharp and pointed. Slightly different in appearance to the sword carried by the Knight. This sword appears to be ready for piercing through something as opposed to slashing through something.

Once again we see a chest. This had appeared only two cards ago. Is it the same chest? If so, why is it closed and why does our Queen have her feet on it? I believe it shows that she is not willing to reveal anything of herself. Not only are her emotions locked away, she also uses the chest to rest her feet on. If anyone dared to try and remove the chest, she would know immediately. Can it also indicate disdain for anything to do with emotions? That they are placed below her feet to show that she has no regard for them? The chest is obviously a key symbol and one that could be relevant in at least two ways as indicated above.
An object that needs careful consideration if it is deemed to have a degree of significance in any given reading.

BLACK ROSE
The Queen is shown as releasing a black rose. The stem has thorns, yet we do not see that they have injured her or caused discomfort. Again, does this show that she is quite hardened to outside influences which may otherwise affect emotionally? What is the significance of the colour of the rose?
I believe it can show the willingness to let go of something that has been negative in some way. She is doing this dispassionately and is not even looking at what is being released.

THE BASKET
Our Queen is not one we would usually associate with maternal instincts. Could this therefore show she is childless? If so, is that by choice or circumstance?

In summary, I believe this character is one who will show that a direct method of communication may be needed. If you see yourself as the Queen you may be asked to drop any niceties and get straight to the crux of something. It may be out of character for you, and yes it may mean others are taken aback but sometimes this approach is needed, particularly if you know deep down you are being taken for granted. If you are against this character make no bones about it, she is a tough one. Any thoughts of using tactics to get round her may well be discovered. If that is the case, be prepared for some verbal backlash.
A strong willed lady indeed, and one who will always stand out in a reading.