Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Reverse cards: to use or not to use

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Citizen

tarotenthusiastako 
Citizen

Reverse cards: to use or not to use

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. Although I had given readings accurately in the past I feel that I am missing a lot of keywords and combination not learning the reverse card meanings. What's your take on this?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Resident

Starbeam 
Resident

I personally think that everything can be told by the upright positions. However, I usually consider reversed cards to mean the same as if they were upright, but that they hold greater importance. On rare occasions, I feel that a reversed card DOES need to be read as traditional reversed cards are read, though.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
student of tarot

rwcarter 
student of tarot

Reversed meanings can be used with upright images. I don't use reversed cards, but apply reversed meanings to upright cards all the time. Some combo of positional meanings, intuition, the question and other cards in the reading will let me know that I need to apply a reversed meaning when the card is upright.

HTH,
Rodney
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

tarotenthusiastako 
Citizen

Hmmmmnn...quite interesting there Rodney as I myself do the same thing when reading this cards I adopt the meaning intuitevely and that a certain combination of cards usually give me the idea to give the reverse meaning.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

Bloudwedd 
Citizen

There are many opinions about should I should I not read reversed cards. Equally many different ways of reading reversed cards... The only advice I could give is to try it on for a while. Decide what reversed cards means to you and read with it fir some times!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Intolerance intolerant

starrystarrynight 
Intolerance intolerant

I think using the entire scope of a card's meaning (traditionally upright through reversed)--no matter how you arrive at considering it--gives you a fuller, richer reading. Personally, the best in-person readings I've gotten over the years have been given by readers who consider the whole gamut of upright-and-reversed "meanings."
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

Amanda 
Citizen

Yes, I think using reversed cards will enrich you on some unthought of meanings. Having a card hit you upside down will affect your take differently than just considering upright and reversed meanings while the card is strictly upright.

I am probably biased though because I started my tarot journey out with reversals and didn't go over to reading uprights only until much later. Now I typically read upright, and occassionally go back to my old faithful RWS deck to read reversals. But I think I learned a lot from having used reversals.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

poivre 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotenthusiastako View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. What's your take on this?
I feel it just depends on how confident you are with reading. After a while...
we all find our own truths to reading the cards...our way.

Sometimes for the reversed cards, I'll have the client pull another card from the deck.
I explain that the energy of the reversed card is block and another card will give
more info...and I find this works for me.

Find your way and enjoy...it's your choice of how you read.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Resident

Narwhallove 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotenthusiastako View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. Although I had given readings accurately in the past I feel that I am missing a lot of keywords and combination not learning the reverse card meanings. What's your take on this?
I started reading reversals, and then started wondering if I should, especially when reading for myself. I gave my brother a reading today and he shuffled my new deck of cards in such a way that there were no reversals. I didn't know this till we started reading!

It was strange! Maybe my natural inclination is to fret over reversals since they complicate matters, but on the other hand, no reversals meant less direction in how to read the card. Positive? Blocked? External or internal? Makes me think that reversals allow you to read upright cards fairly straightforwardly and alert you to the more nuanced matters with the reversed ones. So I think I'll carry on reading with reversals!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Citizen

tarotenthusiastako 
Citizen

my only difficulty in reading reversals is I get so used to reading upright that if I have to start reading reversals I need to memorize again the keywords for the reversals that would take getting used to specially with the new info like that. how do uou deal with that?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.