Baroque Bohemian Cats 1st ed vs 2nd ed. question

garmonbozia

I've read through many of the BBC threads and can't find any descriptions or images of any changes between the first and second editions of this deck.

I have the first edition deck (the kit with the book) and I have the currently available edition, I think it is the 3rd.

I've seen the comparisons between the first edition and the third edition on the Baba facebook page, but I am curious what differences there are in the second edition, if any.

Does anyone know if there are any images of those anywhere?

Also, where did the gold edition fit in? Was it the same as the second edition?

Thanks for your help!

Alta

The Gold was off the 2nd edition. The huge change between the 1st and second editions was the removal of the baroque borders, hence enlarging the images. Sorry, I am off too soon to get the decks out now, but if no one has by the time I get back, I'll scan a few for you.

gregory

Some of the images were changed - mostly backgrounds. And the 2 Swords developed a blue dress :(

Thankfully she is now back to yellow !

You have PM.

WolfyJames

The borders are gone in the second edition and with the focus now being on the images they're now bigger. Some dresses are different colors. Personally I cannot stand the first edition borders so I prefer the second edition over the others.

Attachments

• c_ace_pent.jpg
    c_ace_pent.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Coins01.jpg
    Coins01.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 514

garmonbozia

Thanks everyone for the information.

I overpaid for the first edition kit on Ebay mainly for one car. I really liked the original Hermit card and didn't like the updated card in the third edition very much. I was very curious what changes might have occurred in the second edition. It seems that the second edition doesn't pop up for sale as often as the first does. I would have probably preferred the second edition without the larger borders, but then again, having the book is really nice too.

Rhinemaiden

You can buy the companion book at the Baba store, which I did after I got my second edition: http://baba-store.com/tarot-books/books-and-calendars.html

Also, the Bohemian Gothic Silver did not have the book coming with the deck so I ordered that one too on their website.

The book shown in the Baba store books and calendars is a cat PICTURE book, not the companion book for the deck. The companion book is shown HERE and is currently out of stock. :(

http://baba-store.com/tarot-books/b...ts-tarot-first-and-second-oop-editions-2.html

Padma

ahem...apropos de bottes...(off topic) I have the third edition, and I noticed something curious about the backs of the cards - has anyone else noted that on either side of the center "cat's eye", and strip with the name of the deck, you can see the names of the two artists - Mahony (left) and Ukulov (right)?

I read only upright, never in reversals. But if someone does do reversals, it is very easy to tell from the backs due to the artist's names whether or not a card is reversed.

Don't know if this minutiae is of any interest to anyone, but just thought I would mention it - I find that intriguing, as most decks strive to have the backs of the cards be uniform and unreadable...

ETA: I just posted that here, as I can't find the deck's study group, and so figured anyone who liked the deck or has it would read this thread...

missy

Baroque Bohemian Cats

Another off topic ... :| Can anyone please tell me what color are the backs of the third edition full-sized deck? I have the mini, but not the full-sized, yet. Thanks. :D

As far as differences in the first and second edition, one is in the way in which the images are cropped. I have both decks out and, for example, you can see more curtains in the Second Edition Magician card. Also, as gregory said, some backgrounds are different. For an example of a different background, in the High Priestess there is a different archway used in the 2nd edition plus a different landscape.

There is a significant change in the Devil card. In the 2nd edition there is a scary catlike creature behind them. Slight alterations are made to the figures in the Judgement card. The Tarot Reader card was added to the 2nd edition.

Got through the Majors for you. Quickly adding that the background is different in the Ace of Wands and that they changed the cat in the Three of Wands and two of the three cats in the Four of Wands. Hope that helps. :)

Rhinemaiden

Another off topic ... :| Can anyone please tell me what color are the backs of the third edition full-sized deck? I have the mini, but not the full-sized, yet. Thanks. :D

Dusty-rose (it's not a true red) and white.