Just curious about I Ching readers

Alta

Good for you Lee! And I am happy that this thread was of help to you. So that'll be five or six of here anyway. We can support each other. Feel free to post any readings, :D, we'll jump in.

Lee

Thanks, Tauni and Marion. Wow, Tauni, that's really cool that you used the "Made Easy" book, talk about serendipity! I thought I would have fun with that one while I read the introduction to the Balkin. :)

-- Lee

Logiatrix

My latest method...

I've turned again to I-Ching cards, with happy results.
This time, I'm using the I-Ching cards by USG; an old deck from way back when I was a kid.
I'm find that it works very well with Brian Browne Walker's "I-Ching," a book I highly recommend.
The Chinese transliterations in the book and in the deck are the same (I like that for whatever reason), and the book is more portable and less "wordy" than my other texts.
I'm using the card drawing method that is offered in the Holitzka deck booklet; it is a method Ravenswing has spoken well of.
Incidentally, the Holitzka deck is what I just recently worked with, but the images were difficult for me to discern with limited eyesight.
The Holitzka cards are more attractive, but difficult for me to use with the comparative method per the instructions.
My old deck isn't much about appearances, but the bold, black lines are definitely getting the job done!
PEACE,
Tauni :)

Alta

That's great tauni!
I still like the Holitza cards a lot, they appeal to me and I seem to be in tune with them. Still I can understand the appeal of the simple images of the hexagrams.
A friend sent me a reading that she had gotten from an on-line reading site. An entire hexagram reduced to a simple image and about 4 words. Mind you, it did capture a strong flavour of the hexagram but still.
A long time ago, and I know I'll never find it, I found a site where a woman had taken every hexagram and translated each line into a tiny poetic phrase. It was wonderful, and amazing that she never published it. (It was my previous pc and I tried, but lost everything moving to the new one).

thinbuddha

Rather than posting a all new thread, I figured I'd bump this thread asking for new input.

I've been using the i ching only very sporatically via a palm pilot program called Easy I Ching. I have no idea whose translation is used (or if it is even a translation or perhaps just a re-interpretation?). It is my only exposure to I Ching, and being that it is all on a palm pilot, it isn't very satisfying when compared to the tactile experience of tarot cards....

So I'm looking to get a good English translation any see what happens. Any new input on the translation to get (for the complete novice) would be appreciated. There are so many book available that I'm having a hard time of it- I would want something traditional enough so as not to stray too far from the original meanings- but I also want to be able to understand what is being said, and to be able to apply the understanding to my modern situations.

Regarding the casting methods:

The yarrow stalk method, according to Wikipedia, gives the following statistical probabilities:

* Old Yang: 22.2 %
* Young Yang: 27.8 %
* Old Yin: 4.8 %
* Young Yin: 45.2 %

Whereas the coin method gives these probabilities:

*old yang: 1 in 8 (12.5%)
*young yang: 3 in 8 (37.5%)
*old yin: 1 in 8 (12.5%)
*young yin: 3 in 8 (37.5%)

So there are some considerably HUGE differences between the methods. Does anyone have a comment on why they chose their method? If you use coins, then why not just use an 8 sided die?

-tb

Rainbow Aurora

Hello thinbuddha

So there are some considerably HUGE differences between the methods. Does anyone have a comment on why they chose their method? If you use coins, then why not just use an 8 sided die?

-tb
I like to use The Yarrow Stalk method, although
Bamboo sticks are what I have :grin: I followed
the details told in the book 'How to consult the
I Ching' by Alfred Douglas.

I use this method because I enjoy the extra
time it takes to cast the stalks, I find it very
meditative and creates a very gentle atmosphere.

Rainbow

Fulgour

namaste thinbuddha

16 Marbles, 4 Different Colours

1 of 1st Colour (Yin line, changing into Yang line)
3 of 2nd Colour (Yang line, changing into Yin line)
5 of 3rd Colour (Yang line, unchanging)
7 of 4th Colour (Yin line, unchanging)

After picking a marble, then put it back into the pot.
The fractional percentages are accurate and exact:

1/16th
3/16ths
5/16ths
7/16ths

This gives you the same mathematical odds
as the method using 50 Yarrow Stalks.

poivre

I have 3 I Ching decks and a few books.
A book I found years back told about this method,
which I use just sometimes...

5 pennies and 1 dime
heads are solid lines
tails are broken lines

Throw the six coins and place them in a line going
up and down as close to how they fall.
Make your hexagram from the heads and tails starting
with the coin closest to you moving upwards.
When it's written down, what ever line the
dime is on, that's your moving line. That line
changes in the next hexagram.

The dime also shows what line between
1-6 you should read.

Just a quick way if you want a quick answer!
ros
:)

rachelcat

Fulgour said:
16 Marbles, 4 Different Colours

1 of 1st Colour (Yin line, changing into Yang line)
3 of 2nd Colour (Yang line, changing into Yin line)
5 of 3rd Colour (Yang line, unchanging)
7 of 4th Colour (Yin line, unchanging)

After picking a marble, then put it back into the pot.
The fractional percentages are accurate and exact:

1/16th
3/16ths
5/16ths
7/16ths

This gives you the same mathematical odds
as the method using 50 Yarrow Stalks.

I use this, too. (When I don't use cards.) 16 beads in a shot glass. I tried to pick symbolic/memorable colors:

5 white--Young yang
7 black--Young yin
3 yellow--Old yang (yang-white yellowing toward yin-black)
1 blue--Old yin (yin-black fading/paling toward yang-white)

thinbuddha

Thanks for the answers. I love the point about the yarrow stick method being sort of a ritual to really fix your mind on the issue at hand. Like most people, I tend to gravitate towards the "quick answer" which, as I should have learned by now, isn't always the best way to look for an answer.

Anyone else have any input on which translation to use? I've been reading about translations in this thread, on various web sites including Bradford's site- which I found very interesting indeed. I'm wondering if his translation is available in a book form (yes, I do realize that I can print it for free- but somehow I always hate to have a "book" that is printed on 8x10.5 paper out of a laser printer)