Where are you on the Professional Tarot Reader Spectrum?

intuition897

This may initially seem like a better fit in the Professional forum, but I'd like to get feedback from all of the AT members.

I've been reading some older threads and there seems to be some dispute about the definition of the term "professional". So, dispute aside, I'm just curious who charges and who doesn't and where that fits in with their career(s). It would also be interesting to know how long everyone has been reading either professionally or recreationally.

Barleywine

My definition of professional would be having a steady "practice" with a set fee for readings, regardless of whether you're making your entire living from it. Also, in some places you have to be licensed or registered to charge for readings, which would be another indication. I've been reading "inspirationally" (I don't think of it as "recreation") for 40 years now and have only charged for a reading a couple of times, early on. I suppose if I was part of a community, that might change. But we would have to move out of the boonies for that to happen, I think.

Carla

I am on the barely-ever-reads-for-others end of the spectrum. I do read for pay, but I do not market myself effectively because I have become disillusioned at the type and depth of reading most sitters want. I am a reader who studies the cards for personal enlightenment and reads for others on occasion.

KMilliron

I read for free all the time. Sometimes I fall out of it when life gets hectic, but I always end up going back after a while. Lately the get-together's at the apartment the vocalist and drummer share have all ended with some readings :D Good times.

Chronata

I'm close to one end, I think.

I am a professional client and party/event reader, for over 25 years.
But it's only one of many jobs that bring me income, and currently not the best one.

I also still do many readings for free or tips. because it feels right at the time to do so.

Alta

I have been paid for readings, though not often. Once because I didn't want to do the reading, so I asked quite a large fee. To my surprise the person paid it so I did the reading.

Generally though I would not qualify as a professional reader, but I do read face to face every chance I get.

intuition897

Shoot! I tried to post a poll for this thread, but I had to leave my desk and it timed out. So now I can't attach one.

I have charged on occasion but haven't really "hung my shingle" yet. I think I know what you mean about sitters who ask frivolous questions although I haven't had many. I can see how that would make one feel like one is throwing pearls before swine. My rose-coloured glasses haven't gotten too scratched or dirtied yet, so I'm still hopeful that I can attract to me the kinds of clients who would benefit from what I have to offer. And although I'm not especially experienced yet, I would be interested in eventually teaching workshops and whatnot. I feel that everyone should own their own Tarot deck. It's just such a handy tool!

ThunderWolf

To me a professional is anyone who get's paid for what they do. That being said, I do charge for my readings via a website I have. However, I do very little to promote it, hardly ever get a client, and just do it for a little extra pocket money when I am able to find an interested client.

In the past I've done face to face readings, mostly for free for friends. On occasion a friend would know someone willing to pay me, though, and I would accept payment.

I started dabbling with the cards around 1989 or so, but I really only found some success and continued to read regularly since 1995.

danieljuk

you've made me think intuition897 because I would have said someone who is paid for reading is a professional reader but what if someone is an expert tarot scholar but never does paid for readings or someone has only ever been paid for one reading, are they professional? its difficult. also someone who makes a living from tarot is that a professional and not people who have another job as well as it? in work and sports terms a 'professional' is someone who does it full time and is paid for it.

I think probably inviting the public for readings would be my definition as a professional tarot reader. people you don't know. For me personally I have never been paid for a reading and its a hobby for me. I just want to study it currently and I am shy about doing readings for people I don't know. But who knows in future :)

Padma

I have read for thirty years, of which about 3 years was considered "professional" because I actively sought gigs like parties etc. and charged for readings. I read on weekends, after my college classes, during the evenings to supplement my regular work income.

I prefer reading for fun. ;) I became tired of answering the types of questions one gets on a "pro" basis and then just decided to read when I really felt like it, and for whom I felt like reading for. It's been much more satisfying that way. For me personally, anyways. :) It now feels more like I am actually helping people.

Good luck in your endeavors, Intuition!