Klimt Tarot - Study Group - The Hanged Man

littleozzyman

Hello! I'm new to the forums, and joined specifically to explore the Golden Tarot of Klimt. I see that the study group seems to have faded away, but since I've been planning on exploring each card one-by-one on my own, I figured I might as well share my observations in the hope of starting the discussion again.

The way I'm trying to approach this is by writing a notebook entry for each card that draws from the RWS interpretations that seem to "fit" the Klimt card, as well as my own interpretation of how the artwork creates meaning. I'm using Rachel Pollack and learntarot.com as my primary sources.

So, the first card I'm working with is the Hanged Man. Here's my notebook entry on it:

A highly occult card that calls for the embracing of paradoxes, a willingness to act in ways contrary to the obvious. Instead of move, wait. Follow your gut, not what others think you should do. "We can 'move forward' by standing still. By suspending time, we have all the time in the world."

This card calls for mysticism, contemplation, a feeling of vertigo/disorientation that simultaneously feels right. The image reminds me of the womb. A return to the fetal position, embracing of the <b>contradictory nature of the unconscious.

Occult interpretation is that being upside draws the sexual energy from your genitals into your head. So this card may suggest sublimation of sexual energies.

Reversal of attitude via spiritual awakening.

Sexual bondage might be a part of this -- sexual experiences that are transcendent, spiritual, that involve reversals/opposites (top/bottom, master/slave).