Is it spread I made any good?

Aravalon

I was bored so I got out my old tarot deck and as I've never learned any tarot spreads, except for past-present-future, I thought about making my own. Anyway, after I used it I immediately understood what it meant. But I have a few questions:

1. Would spreads like mine even work?
2. Is it "orthodox" to make your own spreads?

Here it is..
1.What is this path/opportunity?
2.What will happen if I walk this path?
3.What will happen if I don't walk this path?
4.How do I walk this path?
5.How do I avoid this path?
Basically, I fashioned this spread to inform me of opportunities or paths ahead of me, and what would happen if I were to take them.

Thanks all.

Dolphin_Dreamer

I can't believe no one has said anything, but then again maybe they aren't looking for this type of spead.
Yes! I also think many could use it when they don't have a specific path/opportunity in mind as I think it would help in seeing things we don't normally look for or overlooked. I especially like (and I don't think I've seen it in other spreads) 4 and 5. They are, for me especially useful.. I guess this is an alternative decision spread?
That's what this whole section is for. Take a look at the "Tarot Spreads Forum Index" And eventually, you can take a look at the "Your Readings" section where others can help with interpreting a reading you have done if you like.. Keep in mind, the best spreads don't tend to have Yes/No in the spread (altho there are quite a few spreads that do try) and ask more of Who, What, and How. Yes/No, Timing etc can be very difficult to pin down.

Good Luck! I think I might try this at some point..

Aravalon

Thank you very much! You have been most helpful.

poopsie

Actually, I just saw this thread now since I Haven't logged in for awhile due to busy skeds. I will definitely give your spread a try this weekend. I love trying new spreads especially when they come at the right time which yours did...

Yes, it is great to make your own spreads. I do that and also share some but not everyone tries them. It's ok because as long as I get answers I need, it's great. As mentioned, we als have loads of spreads and I keep looking at them and do my own tweaking for my self readings because I find them versatile.

GryffinSong

I think its a lovely spread, and YES, by all means do make your own. There is nothing "sacred" about a specific standard spread. I make up my own all the time. :)

Trogon

I was bored so I got out my old tarot deck and as I've never learned any tarot spreads, except for past-present-future, I thought about making my own. Anyway, after I used it I immediately understood what it meant. But I have a few questions:

Yes! Your spread looks like a very good one and should work very well for looking at a couple of ways you can go with a situation. It should give a good overview. And using the + shape is good, it helps you to focus on your situation and, as you may be aware, is the heart of the old, venerable "Celtic Cross" spread.

Is it "orthodox"? I guess that depends on who you ask. Arthur Edward Waite might not think so, but then I think we (the Tarot community of Today) have built a lot upon the foundations that he, and others, provided for us. The Celtic Cross spread that I now use is a variation of the "original" published by A. E. Waite. I use other spreads that have been created by other folks here at A.T. and other places. And, for that matter, several of the spreads that I use fairly commonly are ones I've created myself. So, in answer to your question about orthodoxy, I say that building on these foundations and creating your own spread has become a very orthodox thing to do. :D

Aravalon

Thanks so much guys. I've been constructing more spreads in my free time, and it's a really fun thing to do - and they usually work too! :D