Trying my hand at making a deck ...

akirafist

My first card.

Kinda sucks, cause I'm using a crappy free program, and my mouse. I'm buying a drawing pad tomorrow when Best Buy opens.

http://s7.postimage.org/633w1uu6j/the_devil_2.jpg

The basic idea here is that sometimes you embrace the arrival of card XV. Even though times of pain and anguish, we realize in our hearts that it will eventually get better.

Tarot Orat

Well, with a start like that, I'm certainly looking forward to everything else you create! I totally understand where that Devil card is coming from...it reminds me of the 12-step principle that you have to completely surrender in order to begin recovering. You hit bottom when you stop digging, and by embracing the principle of destruction you enable yourself to become constructed again....that's what I'm getting from it based on my experiences and my encounters with the Devil card. A very powerful message!!

Alta

wow, that is a very strong image. I like what Tarot Orat wrote too, fits what you drew. The 'swallowing' / 'embracing' aspect of the Devil isn't even always necessarily bad, but as TO says, must be complete.

gregory

OUCH ! :bugeyed:

Good stuff. Bookmarking to see what you do next !

ETA interesting orientation, too.

Lourdez

Wow!!! What a first card! :)

gregory

Nice - and ingenious. What shape and orientation cards do you plan to end up with ? (If a variety - that will be fun; I do actually have a deck where some are landscape and some portrait.)

akirafist

Same size, orientation and thickness of a standard Thoth deck, but with no borders.
80 cards:

78 standard cards
+
an extra Tower (with a dragon biting the tower in half)
+
an extra Fool card with a totally different design

All the court cards are SUPER easy to read (pages are delivering messages, knights are roughing up the villagers for money or fighting, kings are controlling the elements, etc)

akirafist

0 The Fool

http://s13.postimage.org/3qz773mdj/The_Fool_2_copy.jpg

Journeys are long. And difficult. Many times you try and out-think the road ahead, over analyzing and trying to predict the impossible. However in the end, you must begin with a first step, which may indeed be the most dangerous.

Alta

:D If that were my first step, I think I might pull back myself. Of course there is that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where it turns out there is a transparent bridge (of 'faith') to cross the chasm.