One Deck Wonder Resurrected

WolfyJames

I've decided to let go of my idea of using the Truth-Seeker Tarot along with the Tarot of Vampyres. I ordered the author's book about tarot, but the first copy was lost, the second one was stolen, and well, I just hope I'll get the third attempt. So instead I've ordered Heart of Faerie and Faeries' Oracle and I plan to use them instead of Truth-Seeker Tarot. I'm just waiting to get them.

Tarot Orat

I've decided to let go of my idea of using the Truth-Seeker Tarot along with the Tarot of Vampyres. I ordered the author's book about tarot, but the first copy was lost, the second one was stolen, and well, I just hope I'll get the third attempt. So instead I've ordered Heart of Faerie and Faeries' Oracle and I plan to use them instead of Truth-Seeker Tarot. I'm just waiting to get them.

Wow, that's quite a series of misadventures! :bugeyed: Maybe third time's going to be the charm? I hope your new decks arrive soon and that they're enlightening and interesting!

Madame Squee

aurarcana, I think three months is a very long time to stay with one deck! Congratulations!!! :*

sapienza

...one illustrated deck, one Marseilles, minimal "study," just you and the deck and becoming a better reader. This is the form I hope to resurrect. A minimalistic approach to tarot, about the reader rather than the cards.

I know I'm a bit late to the ODW party but I've just discovered this thread, and made my way through the whole 32 pages and would like to join in if it's not too late. The quote above has really struck a chord with me.

About 18 months ago I suffered major tarot burn-out. I'd been through the obsessive tarot collecting, buy-buy-buy, phase, the frustration of trying to find the perfect deck, the perfect system, etc etc. only to realise that I wasn't actually doing much with the cards. I was either thinking about tarot, or buying tarot, rather than using tarot. I was actually sick to death of it all so I packed away almost all my cards and didn't look at them for about six months. My return to tarot has coincided with a general urge to simplify life and so on returning I've been surprised to find myself gravitating to only a few decks. Many which I'd once considered essential no longer appeal to me.

So, I'm going to focus on the Nigel Jackson tarot along with the Ancient Italian. I find that depending on my mood I'll prefer either fully illustrated, or a pip style deck and I think these two work well together as I tend to use the same system for both.

I'm notoriously hopeless at committing, but am hopeful this time will be different. I remember back when I first started out with tarot I had the Mythic deck and I worked with it for at least five years before I had any other decks. I really KNEW it, I had developed personal meanings for the cards based on when they came up and what was going on for me at the time. It's a connection I've never had with any other deck since. So, for me it's time to try that again.

I'm unlikely to post my daily draws but I do hope to add some posts to the Nigel Jackson study group. I'll refer to books from time to time but there are none I'm actively 'studying' at the moment. I might re-read Nigel Jackson's Fortuna's Wheel if I feel the urge and continue to use Paul Huson's Mystical Origins as my go to book if I need help. Oh and I haven't thought of a timeframe at this stage....just as long as I can manage I guess.

Apologies for my overly rambling first post. It's late here.

Tarot Orat

Welcome, sapienza! It's definitely not to late, we're a very open group and any time, any pace, any rules, anything you want to do is always great :) A lot of us have found it easier to "stick" to this than a lot of other commitments just because it's so open and flexible. And simplifying Tarot by working with only one or two decks makes it so much easier...not having to decide every day on a deck is such a relief!

It sounds like you're in the exact right place for an ODW right now. It's a wonderful journey and we're happy to have you with us!

sapienza

Thanks for the welcome Tarot Orat, I'm looking forward to it. It really does feel like the right thing for me just now. :)

Madame Squee

I'm three days away from my one month anniversary, and the past few days, I've been noticing an uncomfortable feeling of heaviness. Unfortunately, this is the feeling I get just before I start wanting to change to another deck. Also, random images from other decks have started popping into my head, which is another unwelcome sign of restlessness. So, I decided to re-read the first post of this thread to try to figure out what might help me stay on track, because I am enjoying my cards -- very much!

<snip>You choose one deck to work with for a preferential amount of time, which is often six months or a year. There were various iterations of the theme, as some folks added a Marseilles to their main deck, some chose an oracle, and some stuck with only their chosen tarot. The original ODW stipulated no books, and the IDS emphasised as much studying as you wanted. The structure became more flexible over time, to entice more people to try the challenge, although my favorite is still the original: one illustrated deck, one Marseilles, minimal "study," just you and the deck and becoming a better reader. This is the form I hope to resurrect. A minimalistic approach to tarot, about the reader rather than the cards.<snip>
The thing that jumped out at me, which I've completely ignored this entire month, is the stricture about referring to books. Thinking about it, I have to admit that I'm second-guessing my readings more and more lately and then reaching for one of the books I keep close by. They've become an interference to actually reading cards.

So, I'm making more ODW commitments today: to psyche myself up by listening to "The Process" again this weekend, to put away all of the books and focus instead on writing my journal for the Illuminated Tarot. So, by the end of my ODW journey, I should have a perfectly serviceable reference book, written from my own reading experiences.

That's right, I realized this morning that I haven't even started a journal yet! :bugeyed: However, since I still have 11 months left, I don't think it's too late to fix this oversight. :D

Madame Squee

Welcome, sapienza!

I am so happy to see you here!

Everything you've said strikes a deep chord within me.

Hear, hear!!!!

:*

Carla

My Thoth One Deck Wonder is now officially over. I have no idea what deck to use now.

sapienza

Welcome, sapienza!

I am so happy to see you here!

Everything you've said strikes a deep chord within me.

Hear, hear!!!!

:*

Thank you.

I've been adding a few posts to the Nigel Jackson study thread, although I don't expect to have any company there. But I have to say, the process of going through the cards and journalling with them is wonderful. I'd forgotten how good it is to really connect with a deck and get to know every little detail. I'm really enjoying it and am finding using the Ancient Italian as well is a perfect combination. Because the Nigel Jackson is based on a more traditional model, rather than being a straight RWS clone, it's a good place to start to get a sense of the card. Lots of fun. So pleased to have started this.

I know it's only a day but I have no desire to work with any other deck and in fact I feel SO much less pressure now. It's such a relief! No choices to make, just enjoying the cards. :D