One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Tarot Orat

Oy, I've been doing my daily draws and they're always on-point, I don't feel like the ODW itself is fading, but I haven't been very good about writing up the draws! I realize that's not a requirement but I do want to get better about that. I've got a four-card backup right now :bugeyed:

I'm also going to be coloring a BOTA deck, but I have decided that doesn't go against the ODW rules - as long as I don't read with it yet :)

Disa

Approaching Beltane and that was my next time frame to decide whether to continue with the DruidCraft or not. I'm not doing a lot of studying with the deck, so I don't feel I've learned everything I wanted to learn yet, not by a long shot. If I do a reading, I've been using the DruidCraft, and I am keeping up with the daily draws. I am by no means tired of using the deck or feeling any strong urges to use others. I think I will continue on past Beltane and re-evaluate at the Summer Solstice. For some reason, having the Sabbats as the next phase of re-evaluation makes it seem less daunting.

I'm really enjoying the daily draws. I feel as though they are keeping me connected to the Tarot (and myself) even when the rest of the world is spinning by at it's own pace.

sapienza

Hi Disa, I agree with you regarding the daily draws, they help me to stay connected as well even when there isn't much time for anything else. I'm still using the Nigel Jackson for my daily draws but haven't had the time to do much study either.

Carla

I'm ending my ODW with Cosmic this week because Beltane fever seems to have struck and I MUST have faeries!! So I'm reading Emily Carding's Faerycraft and working with Tarot of the Sidhe and possibly the Froud Faeries' Oracle Beltane to Summer Solstice. :)

Disa

Carla that's wonderful! Oh, how I love Froud's Faeries! I have never studied or even read the book apart from the initial getting to know the faeries, for fear that learning them inside and out would cause my intuitive reading with the cards to diminish. I haven't used the cards in a very long time. One day...I may actually study them :) Good luck with it.

Disa

Hi Disa, I agree with you regarding the daily draws, they help me to stay connected as well even when there isn't much time for anything else. I'm still using the Nigel Jackson for my daily draws but haven't had the time to do much study either.

Sapienza, (and anyone else who's interested) please join us over at the daily draws if you would like to, it seems to have dwindled down a bit...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=190715

Chiriku

Astoundingly, I have not experienced a moment of dissonance or tarot-temptation since I began exclusively using the Arthurian ( Hallowquest) Tarot towards the end of January (before I officially started the ODW).

However, that doesn't mean I have been continuously using my deck all that time--see my "training for a marathon vs. taking on a running partner" analogy a few posts back.

Despite my miraculous fidelity to the Matthews' creation, I remain far from my goal of trying to interact with and learn the story behind each of the 78 cards in this deck.

This is largely because, following an intensive period of procrastination-by-daily-reading to which I succumbed in February, I have reverted to my natural aversion to daily card draws. I've been down this road several times in my tarot life--trying to become a "daily draw" type of person. I just don't want to do it; nothing can make me interested in this pattern of card use for myself. For me, it feels highly inorganic to read for myself every day, even in the form of a casual one-card draw.

Now, this deck is set up for meditations, and that's a potential non-reading option, but unfortunately, I'm not in a dedicated/settled enough frame of mind to go deep into that right now. Besides which, I live in a consistently noisy environment ill-suited to meditation.

Given the above, I am toying with the idea of doing some sort of creative writing-based interaction with my ODW deck--but it can't be an 'exercise,' oh no! Those are almost as chore-like for me as daily draws. (Even if it's exercise-like, never call it an exercise).

P.S. I haven't been tempted by any other tarots, it's true. But I have suddenly got a bug in my brain about either picking up the Playing Card Oracles I've had sitting about (waiting for me to "learn the system") for some time or learning the basics of the Lenormand system for the only Lenormand I own.

I believe a non-tarot cartomantic exploration is very compatible with a tarot ODW but I'd have to be a much better manager of my time to swing it. And I don't want the novelty and effort involved in learning a new system to dampen my appetite for using my ODW deck.

Carla

Astoundingly, I have not experienced a moment of dissonance or tarot-temptation since I began exclusively using the Arthurian ( Hallowquest) Tarot towards the end of January (before I officially started the ODW).

Despite my miraculous fidelity to the Matthews' creation, I remain far from my goal of trying to interact with and learn the story behind each of the 78 cards in this deck.

I am so impressed that you are trying to learn the story behind each card. I find it virtually impossible to create a mnemonic link between what's in the book and the image on each card. I love the deck and never intend to part with it (it's a treasure to me), but I don't use it as apparently intended by the Matthews. I'd love to hear what strategy you are using to help you accomplish this!

sapienza

I agree, I love the Arthurian but have never dedicated the time to actually work with it. I have the workbook and from memory there was a way of working with the cards that linked them to a seasonal format and I remember being tempted by that. I wonder if that might work for you Chiriku? Rather than daily draws it was more about focusing on each card for a week or two over a period of a year and just reflecting on it that way.

Also, I think that exploring the playing card or Lenormand systems would be fine. If you are drawn into that world at the expense of your ODW then so be it, the Arthurian will be waiting for you on your return. Follow your passion I say. :)

Chiriku

I am so impressed that you are trying to learn the story behind each card. I find it virtually impossible to create a mnemonic link between what's in the book and the image on each card. I love the deck and never intend to part with it (it's a treasure to me), but I don't use it as apparently intended by the Matthews. I'd love to hear what strategy you are using to help you accomplish this!

I will gladly accept your impressed-ness, madam! The truth is not that I have a strength of iron will but that I have a mildly obsessive/pedantic need to use systems in the manner for which they were created. I believe on some level you must share this impulse or else you wouldn't have delved into the Qabalah and that morass of Crowley to work with a deck (Thoth) that is perfectly useable on its face, without knowledge of its underlying system.

It seems a crime to me to use the Arthurian either with Rider Waite Smith meanings (although many of the stories chosen for the Minors are clearly consonant with those) or by "intuitive" picture-analysis ("that queen's dress bears a neat pattern that reminds me to get organized"). I'd probably sooner not use the deck at all than use it without knowing what the creators intended for it.

Perhaps after I've mastered the 78 cards, I can get creative in interpretation, like the artist choosing to ignore their basic training, but for now, I must remain in pupil mode.

Your voice in the wilderness has been correct all along--it's true that there are many Minors that have no visual cue for their story. But I can't share a special way of dealing with them, because oddly enough, I haven't had many different repeat cards so I haven't been called upon to test my knowledge of the stories I've learned about. (That is, I've often had the phenomenon of repeating cards, but it's always been with the same 3-4 cards...whose meanings are always pretty clear from the card's painting, to begin with).

I do need to make up some sort of test for myself, though. Even if just to randomly draw cards until I get 5 I've dealt with before and see if I can recite the stories for them.

I have the workbook and from memory there was a way of working with the cards that linked them to a seasonal format and I remember being tempted by that. I wonder if that might work for you Chiriku? Rather than daily draws it was more about focusing on each card for a week or two over a period of a year and just reflecting on it that way.

Thanks, sapienza. I have every book the Matthews published on the deck save for the big one that compiles information from the others and I believe you're talking about the "course." That's what I was referring to above as the "meditations." Perhaps that's not the best term for it, but it's close enough to meditation or deep thought exercises for my purposes. Like many here, I plan to do the course but also like many, I say I'll get to it "later" when I'm able to undertake such a long and disciplined task.

The book that goes with the course is the best book, though, IMO, and I use it as a supplement to understand each card.

Also, I think that exploring the playing card or Lenormand systems would be fine. If you are drawn into that world at the expense of your ODW then so be it, the Arthurian will be waiting for you on your return. Follow your passion I say. :)

This is true, and you're right. The first Intensive Deck Study I ever did fizzled out quickly because, although I heartily approved of the deck and its system, I didn't feel an organic, fueling interest in using it the way I've later felt for later IDS/ODWs including this one.

Following one's passion seems the only way for us to keep up an IDS/ODW past a couple of weeks. Otherwise, it becomes a "should do," and lord knows most people don't respond well to "should dos."

ETA: If I do choose either the Playing Card Oracles or Lenormand as a supplement, I hope I can talk about them here, but I understand if I should save that for the Oracles section.