One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Tarot Orat

I haven't given up! Just reeeeallllyyyyy busy the past week...just got a project at work with 433 files and 18000 pages :bugeyed: I think I"m going to need some tarot guidance to get through this thing anyway!

I'll post in Daily Draws after work. I've missed you guys :(

Disa

I haven't given up! Just reeeeallllyyyyy busy the past week...just got a project at work with 433 files and 18000 pages :bugeyed: I think I"m going to need some tarot guidance to get through this thing anyway!

I'll post in Daily Draws after work. I've missed you guys :(

YIKES! That sounds horrible- but what do I know maybe you like projects like that :p

I'm keeping the door open for ya in the daily draws, there's an echo in there for sure. Come backkkk :)

GypsyFaerie

After seeing the ODW referenced in other posts, I'm really glad someone decided to start a new one so I have the opportunity to participate.

I will be using the Mystic Dreamer Tarot from now until at least July 1, 2013. I will reevaluate then.
I will exclusively use this deck for readings for myself and others.
I will reference the companion book if I get stuck.
I will keep an electronic journal and will post in the associated threads as able (I don't have enough posts or long enough membership yet to access all of them but will when I get there).
I may use my Wisdom of the Hidden Realms Oracle deck alongside this one but it will not be part of my ODW study.

ETA: I will use "The Tarot Playbook: 78 Novel Ways to Connect with Your Cards" by Lynda Cowles as I feel the exercises help and the whole point of the book is getting to know a deck

Disa

Welcome GypsyFaerie! Glad to see you over in the daily draw thread, too :)

sapienza

Welcome to the ODW GypsyFaerie. :)

I'm still using the Nigel Jackson for daily draws but have had a lot on lately so haven't had any time to continue my posts to the study group unfortunately.

Disa

Hello, hello, is anyone there???

It's been 3 weeks since anyone posted. Are people still hanging in there? I'm still here, doing my daily draw each day and only reading with my DruidCraft. I'm giving it til the Summer Solstice then I will re-evaluate.

Chiriku

Hello, hello, is anyone there???

It's been 3 weeks since anyone posted. Are people still hanging in there?

Yes, I am.

As you probably know, I'm an infrequent self-reader by nature. But when I do read for myself, it's with my One Deck Wonder deck (The Arthurian/Hallowquest). Last week, I did two important albeit small (no more than 4 card) readings and I even got as far as writing one up in the dedicated ODW spread/reading thread...then the computer abruptly shut down and I lost all the text I'd drafted. I don't have the impetus now to re-compose it all.

I've been using the deck since some time in January (even though I may not have officially called it a ODW until February) and it is utterly astonishing to me that June has sprung upon us so very quickly. Judy Collins had it right: "Who knows where the time goes?"

Although I've had my new Journey into Egypt Tarot (having only looked through it to check the cards) waiting in the wings and that is a prime candidate for a ODW/IDS, I do not feel ready to move on from the Arthurian yet. There is a very large amount of information, stories, concepts, meditations and ideas associated with each card and suit in this deck and I get a twinge of dissatisfaction every time I consider moving on.

It's like starting to eat a tasty piece of pie and knowing there's still 3/4 of it left on the plate. It would drive me nuts to get up and walk around knowing all the while that there's 3/4 of that slice still sitting back there on the plate.

tarotcognito

Every time I see this thread become active, I keep thinking it's about decks you buy on impulse because it looked awesome and everyone else and their dog is scrambling to buy it, but you read with it only once 'coz it's not quite as awesome as you thought it was going to be after all, and you sheepishly put it back in the tarot deck closet until you summon enough energy to sell it.

One Hit Wonders, as it were.

Sorry for derailing. Just had to say it.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Chiriku

That is my intuitive response to the phrase One Deck Wonder as well, Lokasenna. I think it took me some time to get it into my head that it's the opposite of a one hit wonder.

Though on the other hand...although the one hit wonder artists may not have staying power, the hits themselves almost always do. "Come on Eileen," etc. (And yes, that was officially a OHW according to VH-1 music television several years ago). Most of us can name and sing a hit in full even when the OHW artists have long since fled our minds.

So perhaps it's a good name for a deck that stays with us.

lilangel09

For the last few years, I've been using my Lunatic deck for readings for months at a time. I've never really been a big collector or much of a flitter. I already had one deck I knew really well.

I did the ODW with the IIT/TdM, and never really grasped the point of it until now, years later, after I matured some. I thought the point was to be able to study the deck, but that wasn't quite it.

For awhile now, I've been wanting to par down my collection since I have a different focus nowadays. I like reading with less and having things simpler. I like having fewer decks since it aligns with my focus, which is to read. I just want to read and then be available for questions or discussion. I think the IIT aka. Tarot of the Toilet People is brilliant. The hint of the thing is enough to read... plus the wonderful meld of all the colors.

I don't want me spending the whole 30 minutes talking when they needed the 30 minutes to talk. I want to only say what needs to be said have them have their 30 minutes, or have them on their way if they only needed/wanted 5. If they have 30 minutes for a reading, I don't want to be talking more than 15 of that.

I am keeping a few of my fully illustrated decks. I plan to use them occasionally, and they serve specific purposes.