One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Elendil

I want to 'study' and befriend the International Icon Tarot but also want to continue to cycle through my other decks in Deck of the Week. I have been trying to come up with a set of rules that will let me do this and join this group for support and discussion - but so far have drawn a blank. Perhaps the One Deck Wonder is not the right thread for me...

:)/:(

Alamaris

First to post, first to fall off the horse!

(So to speak. I didn't actually fall off a horse. But it wouldn't be the first time a large mammal disrupted my tarot schedule -- I used to be a stablehand!)

After spending Thursday to Sunday in and out of the hospital for painful, scary, but ultimately non-life-threatening reasons, I found myself having a tough time keeping my brain on track with my ODW. All weekend, I kept thinking, "God, I wish I had a good solid RWS in my hands right now!" and generally feeling fed up with Marseilles in general. For what reason? I hain't the foggiest. But if I had to guess, I'd think it's most likely just that human thing where you associate discomfort with whatever you're doing at the time, whether it be listening to a certain song or walking down a certain road. I did that last year with a novel I was writing, while waiting to find out some enormously scary news -- I finished the novel this year so that I could stop associating it with that time in my life! Brains are funny.

Which is essentially a long-winded way of saying that I'm taking a quick break to reorient myself -- mostly physically, blek -- and will return next week, possibly with a slightly altered rule-set for m'self.

It sucks, but it's Necessary, so I don't feel too bad about it.

I've really been enjoying reading everyone's posts! I love that everyone is embracing the One Deck Wonder spirit, making your own rules, bending the original concept to make it fit for you and your life. I'm so glad all of you are coming along for the ride, and I'll be back shortly to catch the next train. :love:

(And Elendil -- I'm sure we can help devise a set of rules for you! We're here for support, after all, and brainstorming is the best kind of support. Stick around, we'll miss you if you leave!)

Hemera

another Vampyress joining in..

I have been missing IDS so it´s really nice to see this group up and running!
I´d love to join in with the Vampyres (Ian Daniels). I have been using this deck almost exclusively since September 12.

My ODW rules:

1. I will use/handle my Vampyres daily and try to carry the deck wherever I can.
2. I will continue my present project of making a mini-sized Vampyres deck for myself (by scanning, photocopying, laminating..)
3. I will keep making notes to my hand-written notebook and learn as much as I can of each individual card. (Anything is allowed to accomplish this: tarot books, other books,the internet..)
4. I will continue to work with my 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card studies
5. I will keep doing this for as long as it takes to know the deck inside out.
6. At the moment I will only use the deck for my own readings. (The deck needs to get to know *me* first before I read to others with it.)

Marieve

Enjoying my Golden so far

Some of us are already doing a "two-deck wonder" - the rules are that it's an illustrated and unillustrated pip deck, but I'm not sure those have to be EVERYONE's rules if you have two illustrated decks that you feel you can devote equal amounts of energy to. I'm personally enjoying the interplay between my two decks, and it feels fresh every day but also very cohesive over longer periods of time.

I don't really use non-scenic pips, so at some point I might add another illustrated Thotty or non-traditional deck as I miss how they have different voice from RWS decks. I was thinking of either Mary-El or Cosmic (recently grown quite fond of it) but not just yet.

I was studying different animals on Golden yesterday, there are a lot of them in that deck. Fun.

As far as Vampyres, an idea from when I was in love with it, was to figure out all different gates on some cards, there is quite a few of them, where they may lead to, what need to be reworked or let go of in order to enter the gate and what's on the other side. Thought it might be useful for somebody.

Hemera

As far as Vampyres, an idea from when I was in love with it, was to figure out all different gates on some cards, there is quite a few of them, where they may lead to, what need to be reworked or let go of in order to enter the gate and what's on the other side. Thought it might be useful for somebody.
We were just talking about this here in posts 5 and 6: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=152083
We´d love your comments in there! That Study Group has been more active again recently.

Chiriku

After spending Thursday to Sunday in and out of the hospital for painful, scary, but ultimately non-life-threatening reasons, I found myself having a tough time keeping my brain on track with my ODW. All weekend, I kept thinking, "God, I wish I had a good solid RWS in my hands right now!" and generally feeling fed up with Marseilles in general. For what reason? I hain't the foggiest. But if I had to guess, I'd think it's most likely just that human thing where you associate discomfort with whatever you're doing at the time, whether it be listening to a certain song or walking down a certain road. I did that last year with a novel I was writing, while waiting to find out some enormously scary news -- I finished the novel this year so that I could stop associating it with that time in my life! Brains are funny.

Best wishes for your improved health.

Yes, I understand that "human thing where you associate discomfort with whatever you're doing at the time." Your purposeful finishing of the novel for that reason demonstrates real growth.

I like non-scenic /pips decks, including TdM style ones, but I must say that many of them, especially the TdMs, can seem a bit cold to me. That is why I almost never use them for self-readings. The pips are good for "information getting"--the sort of thing I do for a querent--but not, for me, for emotional resonance. Working with them is an exercise in creativity, in problem-solving, but not in solace.

Of course, I recognize that many people rely on TdMs and even playing cards exclusively; obviously, they must get more benefits from them creative information-gathering. But I still experience some bit of surprise when I hear someone rave over the powerful emotional "connection" they feel to a TdM or other historical-style pips deck.

Penthasilia

Penthasilia, if you are only using the other decks a few times a month and for ceremonial purposes to boot, in my opinion that is a clear enough division of your tarot life that it wouldn't detract from your ODW.

But as Alamaris and aurarcana were the impetus behind this ODW revival, I do not want to contribute to a gradual drift away from the spirit of what they intended---a truly "one" deck wonder (with allowance for one scenic/one pips deck; in a way that's still "one"). So as to avoid this "drift," I'm sure we can find people who want to commit to a small group of decks to join in on a new group. I can set up the thread if there is interest.

Well... :)

I will join up then- my goal will be to only use the Wild Unknown and Grand Etteilla decks for my true tarot readings only. That will give me a chance to get back on the horse, so to speak, in working with the Etteilla and becoming comfortable again with the minors and reading them in their unusual lenormand-esque way. The Wild Unknown will be getting here today- so that will also give me a chance to get to know this lovely deck.

My rules:
1. I will only use the Wild Unknown and Grand Etteilla for my personal readings or readings for others.
2. I will only use the books for those appropriate decks.
3. I will use these two decks primarily starting today and ending on Ostara (March 20) at the earliest, Beltane at the latest depending on how comfortable I get with the decks.
4. I will not make the mistake I made in my previous IDS with studying them per se, but will use them daily to get to know the cards in more of an intuitive manner, rather than an intense study. (I burned out on the Maat that way).

Tarot Orat

Alamaris, I hope you recover soon! That sounds scary.

Obviously, necessary shifts in decks shouldn't count as "cheating" and drastic events can change schedules. I know we're all very glad you started this thread and helped revive the ODW and hope you'll be back on track with us soon :)

DaisyDragonfly

Well... :)

I will join up then- my goal will be to only use the Wild Unknown and Grand Etteilla decks for my true tarot readings only... The Wild Unknown will be getting here today- so that will also give me a chance to get to know this lovely deck.

Hurrah! A Wild Unknown buddy :)

This really isn't a deck for 'study', per se. It's a deck to experience, to let unfold. That happened this morning: I pulled my morning card, made a quick note of it, ran off to work.

On the Tube, I listened to music, and watched the card - unprompted - open up and play a wonderful little animated movie in my mind. First deck where this has happened; it's the first deck, I think, that could.

How I record all this, goodness knows...